dcsimg

solvents & thinners

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Éric Montreal_Medic 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Does anybody know where they sell denatured alcohol here in Canada. I can’t find it at HD or Lowes.

@doobie,
    Check any local boat builders, NOAH’S is one I can think of.

It is considered a controlled substance in Canada as it’s mainly used in Meth Labs. That’s why we can’t just walk into out local big box store and pick a canister up.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I see where a few saw blade manufactures have recommended Kerosene to clean saw blades. One of theses days I need to try it.

Kerosene is a great solvent for cleaning things. Safer then gasoline also.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Does anybody know where they sell denatured alcohol here in Canada. I can’t find it at HD or Lowes.

@doobie,

It is considered a controlled substance in Canada as it’s mainly used in Meth Labs. That’s why we can’t just walk into out local big box store and pick a canister up.

Canadian Tire has it. Look for marine stove fuel.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Not sure if it’s sold at Walmart in Canada, but it is here.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

@doobie,

There’s a marine supply store in Pickering I’ll call and ask.

Look for marine stove fuel.

Is that why marine stores may carry it?

But is it the same?

Kevin.

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@doobie,

But is it the same?

there is another marine store in etobicoke that will probably carry it.

http://www.foghmarine.com/

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

@doobie,

But is it the same?

So I called the marine store in Pickering – Nats Marine – and he said they have Ethanol 90-10 for marine camp fuel. He has no idea whether this is suitable as a denatured alcohol for using for dissolving shellac flakes, but he did direct me to call the manufacturer Captain Phab in Peterboro to find out more.

http://www.captainphab.com/web/

Their technical guy is out to lunch right now, but he will be calling me later today to discuss further.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

@doobie,

But is it the same?

So I called the marine store in Pickering – Nats Marine – and he said they have Ethanol 90-10 for marine camp fuel. He has no idea whether this is suitable as a denatured alcohol for using for dissolving shellac flakes, but he did direct me to call the manufacturer Captain Phab in Peterboro to find out more.

Their technical guy is out to lunch right now, but he will be calling me later today to discuss further.

The 10% methanol is what makes denatured alcohol denatured. It makes it unfit for drinking but still usable for everything else.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

@doobie,

But is it the same?

The 10% methanol is what makes denatured alcohol denatured. It makes it unfit for drinking but still usable for everything else.

Got off the phone with Craig at Captain Phab just now. He said that their camp stove has a blue dye in it, so it may not be suitable for my purposes in mixing shellac flakes. They add the blue dye to it to make it more visible for pouring purposes. It has nothing to do with the fact that when burning it burns a blue color.

But he did say I could buy it off them without the die as it is them who add the dye to the alcohol, problem is, I would have to buy a 20 liter pail of it.

I’m gonna look into other sources of marine fuels and see if they all have dyes added to them. Craig had said they used to not sell it this way, but they did start adding blue dye a few years ago by choice to their product.

Kevin.

Denatured Alcohol is just pure-ish Ethanol with stuff added to it to make it smell, colour it, poison it, and otherwise make it impossible to consume (and make it possible to sell without having to pay the alcoholic beverage taxes)

If stuck, you can use the 95% mixing alcohol they sell at commissions, but you can also look at alcohol for alcohol fireplaces.

Ive also gotten some at a local paint/craft store

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.887 seconds