dcsimg

Solar kilns

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 338 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

well i found one solar one that i want to use for 400 cfm. However i need a longer 12v power cord male to male i think to get this solar fan working. Now to source a longer power cord.

@r-ice
    Would it not be easier to just splice the wiring and extend it? No need for adapters. Just use the same gauge wire.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

well i found one solar one that i want to use for 400 cfm. However i need a longer 12v power cord male to male i think to get this solar fan working. Now to source a longer power cord.

@r-ice
    Would it not be easier to just splice the wiring and extend it? No need for adapters. Just use the same gauge wire.

That’s what I was thinking as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice

well I am going to go pick it up and take it apart and then we shall see exactly what wiring i need to extend it. I am hoping it is an easy fix.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@r-ice

well I am going to go pick it up and take it apart and then we shall see exactly what wiring i need to extend it. I am hoping it is an easy fix.

Post up some pics when you do take it apart. I have a bunch of 16 – 18 GA butt connectors and heat shrink that you can use. Just need to figure out the wire gauge.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t have it apart yet, but if this turns out successful, i may buy another one and alter the plenum to fit a second one of these solar attic fans, It works pretty well, if i work on redoing the roof, i’d want to buy a few of these to install for the house.

Doobie

You should show us some pics Aaron. You’ve got me curious what you are dealing with and what you bought for it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

You should show us some pics Aaron. You’ve got me curious what you are dealing with and what you bought for it.

here just took them apart this morning.
    its a 400 cfm solar attic fan. I took the cover off the solar panel to test it out yesterday and it just took off, If this goes well i may have to pick up one more to give additional cfm.

its a 400 cfm solar attic fan. I took the cover off the solar panel to test it out yesterday and it just took off, If this goes well i may have to pick up one more to give additional cfm.

Hey those look like they should do very well. Looking forward to seeing how they work out in the kiln

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like it will do the job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hey those look like they should do very well. Looking forward to seeing how they work out in the kiln

Oh i think they will work for sure, i will probably need one more when i load up the kiln to the max. Apparently this kiln was designed so it would be impossible to dry wood too fast even with 1000 cfm fan running full blast in there, so having one more to bring it up to 800 cfm would be decent. I do need to rewire it completely, probably do it in such a way i can unclip it if i need to do any maintenance

Doobie

Thanks for putting up some pics Aaron. That’s an interesting fan you found.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I wouldn’t get a second one right away. Wait to see how this one works along with adjusting the vents on the back to see how it does. You might find that you will not need the second fan.

— Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Really curious now to see the finished hookup and the kiln in operation.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I wouldn’t get a second one right away. Wait to see how this one works along with adjusting the vents on the back to see how it does. You might find that you will not need the second fan.

depending on the amount of wood i have in there, i may not need a second one till i put planks in there and fill it up to the bottom of the plenum.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I wonder if the math is sound, two fans equaling 800cfm? Since the air would already be moving with one fan, I think the second fan would be pushing less air if that makes sence.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I wonder if the math is sound, two fans equaling 800cfm? Since the air would already be moving with one fan, I think the second fan would be pushing less air if that makes sence.

would it matter if i placed them on each side. So for example, one one the left side blowing towards the front, the second one on the right side facing the back, blowing the air towards the back so it creates a wind tunnel effect.

Doobie

would it matter if i placed them on each side. So for example, one one the left side blowing towards the front, the second one on the right side facing the back, blowing the air towards the back so it creates a wind tunnel effect.

What about one blows the air in and the other is pulling it out of the kiln?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I believe they need to be in parallel (side by side) to get the desired 800 cfm.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I think I need more pics to understand this application better as to where the fans are to be located.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I believe they need to be in parallel (side by side) to get the desired 800 cfm.

In this solar kiln, the air needs to circulate within the kiln itself. it is undesirable to pull cool air inside the kiln itself as it will negate the effects of the hot air to dry the wood. Right now I just have to get the right wiring and connectors to extend the reach of the panel and i can install it sometime this week i hope.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 338 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.710 seconds