dcsimg

So I am not a pex guy

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Am not a pex guy either. It’s consider junk over here. It’s all copper here. I think rats chew through the stuff and what about the off gassing??? Wasn’t there a class action law suit??

You are talking about poly b which is something completely different. If you read through this topic you would see that we already covered that. Pex is not junk, I don’t know anything about rats but pex is used worldwide without many issues

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Am not a pex guy either. It’s consider junk over here. It’s all copper here. I think rats chew through the stuff and what about the off gassing??? Wasn’t there a class action law suit??

You are talking about poly b which is something completely different. If you read through this topic you would see that we already covered that. Pex is not junk, I don’t know anything about rats but pex is used worldwide without many issues

Well I guess I’m not in your world because it’s not used here. Every time I say pex every plumber says it’s garbage. I don’t know, I just know what the local plumbers say.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well I guess I’m not in your world because it’s not used here. Every time I say pex every plumber says it’s garbage. I don’t know, I just know what the local plumbers say.

Every area of the world has its peculiarities. Pex is easy to work with no argument there. Where it can be used it is used without problems it has been accepted. Unfortunately that is not everywhere in the world. In HI I am sure they tried pex when it first came out but if the rats chew through it then copper it is. Seems like they don’t even use PVC if every thing is copper.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Every area of the world has its peculiarities. Pex is easy to work with no argument there. Where it can be used it is used without problems it has been accepted. Unfortunately that is not everywhere in the world. In HI I am sure they tried pex when it first came out but if the rats chew through it then copper it is. Seems like they don’t even use PVC if every thing is copper.

All the water lines in are copper. The waste and water lines out are ABS.

Dirty

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

PEX was used in Europe for potable water for probably 20 years before it was approved for use here in the US. Before, it could be used for radiant systems and such, but not water distribution lines.

About 10 or 15 years or so ago, the US started approving it’s use for water distribution, but California still held out. The Health Department refused to approve it, so although it was allowed under the UPC, you still couldn’t install it.

Then about probably 7-8 years ago, California finally caved, and now it’s used pretty extensively here as well.

There is always a concern about chemicals leaching into water from any plastic pipe, no matter how many NSF, EPA, DHHS, Etc., approvals it might have. PEX “seems” to leach the least of all the plastic alternatives. Poly-Ethylene seems to be the “best” plastic out there, health-wise, but I still prefer not to use plastic.

There was also a bit of an uproar from the trade organizations and Unions over the extreme ease of installation. Guys having their trade made obsolete, and all that.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Poly-Ethylene seems to be the “best” plastic out there, health-wise, but I still prefer not to use plastic.

I will have to dig deeper to why they all thing it’s garbage. I see when I Yahoo PEX lawsuits there’s a lot that pops up.
    Just one more question??? Where is this Poly-Ethylene tubes manufactured at???

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

There was also a bit of an uproar from the trade organizations and Unions over the extreme ease of installation. Guys having their trade made obsolete, and all that.

That would be a big reason right there for resistance to change. Pex is a lot easier to work with than copper.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Hi @kswiss what is the max size pex that legally can be used in Canada that’s approved for domestic supply . Just curious cause someone told me it’s only good for 1″ . I know it’s wrong .

Always willing to learn .

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Hi @kswiss what is the max size pex that legally can be used in Canada that’s approved for domestic supply . Just curious cause someone told me it’s only good for 1″ . I know it’s wrong .

You can use any size really, I think they make up to 3 or 4 inch now.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Poly-Ethylene seems to be the “best” plastic out there, health-wise, but I still prefer not to use plastic.

I will have to dig deeper to why they all thing it’s garbage. I see when I Yahoo PEX lawsuits there’s a lot that pops up.
    Just one more question??? Where is this Poly-Ethylene tubes manufactured at???

Uponor one of the major manufacturers is located right here in Minnesota.

You can use any size really, I think they make up to 3 or 4 inch now.

They have some in the 3″ range on display at out local supply house. The expander they use for it is massive. They calin it is an economical alternative for large copper piping in bigger facilities.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I read that some of the fittings react badly with chlorine in the water supply. That would mean they are good for rural and farm use but not those on municipal water.

Any experience to share?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I read that some of the fittings react badly with chlorine in the water supply. That would mean they are good for rural and farm use but not those on municipal water.

Any experience to share?

Now they have a pretty wide selection of materials that they make the fittings out of. I think the most popular would be brass, bronze, copper, and plastic. So I think you should be covered, I can look into it some more though.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Most of our plumbers use plastic fittings any more, so I would not see an issue with them, they use a brass fitting for transitions to copper and some copper fittings at fixtures and at water closets.

Most of those would not be anything worse than what you get in a copper pipe system especially with all the plastic in fixtures any more.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Most of our plumbers use plastic fittings any more, so I would not see an issue with them, they use a brass fitting for transitions to copper and some copper fittings at fixtures and at water closets.

Most of those would not be anything worse than what you get in a copper pipe system especially with all the plastic in fixtures any more.

Ya we’ve had a big change lately, a lot less copper and more plastic pipe and stainless steel piping for domestic water.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Ya we’ve had a big change lately, a lot less copper and more plastic pipe and stainless steel piping for domestic water.

IIRC there was an issue with brass Pex fittings. Some of the imports were higher zinc content (less expensive to make), the chlorine leached out the zinc causing failure. Just wanted to know if this sort of thing is common.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Not a huge amount of plumbing, but I just replaced all the water lines in my tent trailer this morning. Ran PEX everywhere. A lot faster and easier than the cheap plastic pipes it replaced, and pretty sure copper isn’t even an option on something that moves that much

Easy couple of hours to get everything done, mostly because of the tight quarters

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

IIRC there was an issue with brass Pex fittings. Some of the imports were higher zinc content (less expensive to make), the chlorine leached out the zinc causing failure. Just wanted to know if this sort of thing is common.

When our plumbers firs started using PEX, a lot of the fittings were Brass, Now all but a few transitions are plastic.

C4rtoad07
    Pro
    Osawatomie, KS

I have to agree with the majority of the others comments when referring to shark bite fittings I would not use them for your joints if not for difference in cost per fitting being more than double. The design has me waiting for a failure in a few houses I have left them in but service plumbing it is better to leave and have the repair complete with water back on than to say wait a few hours and turn your water back on. As far as the stub out in the wall they have coper turn outs as someone already said their are also coper brackets that you can nail to the wall and solder the stub out to for a more ridged connection also there are various other similar brackets to choose from that work very well. I prefer coper too but the truth is that you can save so much money using pex that when competing with others it is the best way to keep cost down.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In our area to have all copper is several thousand more if you can even find a plumber to do it. most want nothing to do with it. They are so busy, they want to run the Pex and get done and on to the next house.

Sharkbite just came out with a new fitting specifically for bex. It seals to the inside of the pipe instead of the exterior. It is called their EVOPEX fitting.

http://www.sharkbite.com/evopex/

I have to agree with the majority of the others comments when referring to shark bite fittings I would not use them for your joints if not for difference in cost per fitting being more than double. The design has me waiting for a failure in a few houses I have left them in but service plumbing it is better to leave and have the repair complete with water back on than to say wait a few hours and turn your water back on. As far as the stub out in the wall they have coper turn outs as someone already said their are also coper brackets that you can nail to the wall and solder the stub out to for a more ridged connection also there are various other similar brackets to choose from that work very well. I prefer coper too but the truth is that you can save so much money using pex that when competing with others it is the best way to keep cost down.

I love sharkbites, especially the caps. Perfect for when you need to make a temporary repair until you have time to do it right. I also like capping off a line, working downstream with the house water back on, and then turning off the water again, removing the sharkbites, and rejoining the line.

Great tech. I have heard its fine in the walls, but Im not so sure. Only place I have some permanently in my own house is where I married copper to pex and its a drop ceiling, so I can easily get to it if/when it fails

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.603 seconds