dcsimg

Snow Removal/Plowing Equipment for Trucks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Just curious if anyone here takes to adding a plow and salter to their truck for the winter to keep busy?

Trying to find a few others here that have done it or are doing it to get an idea on cost and brands.

A Working Pro since 2004

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does a RZR and a 4 Wheeler count? That’s all I use, The blade is 60″ so when angled it’s just about right for a sidewalk and great for maneuvering in a driveway. Of course either one wouldn’t be super efficient in a big commercial parking lot, I used to plow the city’s ‘greenway’ trail. It’s asphalt about 6′ wide and a total of a 9 mile loop, That was fun

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I have an old western on my cj7… Started for fun on my own properties, but has grown to 6 commercial and a few private drives.

Anymore than that wouldn’t be as much fun. We only get 3-5 pushable events in a season, so It’s not part of my normal revenue, just a bonus when it happens 🙂

--Steve

What type of truck do you have . Will you be driving it or have someone else do it . Do you have a back up plan for when your truck or plow breaks down to service your clients . Truck mount salt spreaders eat up your truck . Sometimes we get final payments in summer due to company payout plans . Will you have plow insurance . These are a couple of questions to ask yourself .

Everyone sees a guy and truck and think it’s all easy . Not trying to scare you but just some knowledge to give .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have a plow on one of our trucks and a 8′ bucket for the skid loader. I got it mostly to take care of our properties. the last 4 seasons I have subbed plowing with the skid loader from a large local snow removal company. they provide me with a Kage plow for my skid loader. It is a great plow it works as a one way to windrow snow and with the attached cage, it works as a snow pusher also. Adding or removing the cage only takes a few seconds. Here is a video.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I was thinking about buying a pick up truck with that stuff already on it to stay busy in the winter just never pulled the trigger!

I was thinking about buying a pick up truck with that stuff already on it to stay busy in the winter just never pulled the trigger!

Would you hire a guy to cover your service calls when you are plowing .

Always willing to learn .

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I plow for our state, Mass dot..

Have two trucks
    1 ton dually diesels with 9 ft plows.
    keeps the money coming in when hammers are all frozen.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for all the great replies. It is an investment and there is a lot to think about. This thread will be useful when doing some further research. Seems like a good way to bring in some money in the winter.

A Working Pro since 2004

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I did it before. Tough hours and hard on the truck. Money is good though. “White gold” is what I use to call due to the $$ lol

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It takes a lot to cover the expense of a plow. A decent one will run almost 6K new plus installation. The plow I use o. My skidloader is about that also, without several accounts it is tough to make it pay. You may want to sub to a bigger company. I get plenty of work that way and I don’t have to sell or collect from several vendors. I just send one bill after a storm.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have a plow on one of our trucks and a 8′ bucket for the skid loader. I got it mostly to take care of our properties. the last 4 seasons I have subbed plowing with the skid loader from a large local snow removal company. they provide me with a Kage plow for my skid loader. It is a great plow it works as a one way to windrow snow and with the attached cage, it works as a snow pusher also. Adding or removing the cage only takes a few seconds. Here is a video.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ayDCGIK6XfE?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That looks like a pretty sweet set-up, I like it. I watched the video and it never did say if it was spring loaded or not. Or maybe I missed it but what happens when ya hit a ridge? It doesn’t look like it would flip forward

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very nice set-up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I should have a picture of my old set up. Let me find it.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I have also been looking into plowing but I decided against it due to everyone is doing it, and I have enough to do in the winter.
    When we get a large snowfall I want to go out snowboarding not plow driveways.
    I know a few guys that do it and say the money is good, but they are out at 1:00am plowing through the morning. Seems like they are always working on their trucks.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

no plowing on my truck. Id rather not play in the snow at all if i can help it

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Blowers on tractors are the thing around here. They move snow in a hurry and do a better job of directing it than a plow.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’m sure your truck agree’s with you! That salt will wreck havok on your vehicle.

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’m sure your truck agree’s with you! That salt will wreck havok on your vehicle.

its not the salt that will be the end of the truck, the plow itself is a huge strain on the front end of the truck. You buy a beater for the winter and you change out trucks every few years.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.424 seconds