dcsimg

Small Workshop Layout

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

I am getting ready to redo my shop layout and thought I would try to get some ideas. I currently have a two car garage that I have my shop in and half is taken up by the suburban. This leaves me with the other half. I am wanting to make it the most practical and space saving as possible. I saw a post about the shop in the attic and it was great and had good ideas but I thought i would see if anyone else had some other thoughts to share. As far as floor tools I have a table saw, drill press, planer, and band saw. I have a nice work bench as well. Thats it for items that take up floor space.

Has anyone had to deal with this and if so what are your bits of advice?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have an incredibly small shop in my basement and a mobile saw shop in the garage. My tidbit of advice is to make your table heights all the same so that you can multi purpose them.

If your looking for a mobile setup this tool stand is pretty incredible:

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/UTS/Tool_Stand_1.html

This guy has a pretty small shop (144 sq ft) and has a helpful blog and has even posted some on here

http://festoolownersgroup.com/workshops-and-mobile-vehicle-based-shops/my-shop/
    check out his blog here: http://www.the144workshop.com)

This is also helpful: http://festoolownersgroup.com/workshops-and-mobile-vehicle-based-shops/small-workshop-solutions/

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Thanks for the link to that FOG post. There are a ton of good ideas hidden in the pictures. I really like the safety supplies hanger he’s got on the wall. Also, the magnet for saw’s is a great idea that I am going to copy for sure.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

My shop is setup pretty much the same. I can keep one car outside, but one has to be in for at least the winter time. John posted some great links, I’ve tried to make use of pretty much 100% of the wall space in my shop, lots of stuff on mobile bases / wheels really helps alot and more importantly prioritizing what you need. Certain tools I’d like to have by just don’t have the room for them so try to work more efficiently by keeping things minimalist.

msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

Thanks for the ideas and links. Very much appreciated. Right now I have a large work table and table saw that take up way to much room. I love my table saw but think I am going to have to go a bit smaller. This helps!

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I am getting ready to redo my shop layout and thought I would try to get some ideas. I currently have a two car garage that I have my shop in and half is taken up by the suburban. This leaves me with the other half. I am wanting to make it the most practical and space saving as possible. I saw a post about the shop in the attic and it was great and had good ideas but I thought i would see if anyone else had some other thoughts to share. As far as floor tools I have a table saw, drill press, planer, and band saw. I have a nice work bench as well. Thats it for items that take up floor space.

Has anyone had to deal with this and if so what are your bits of advice?

That’s exactly the setup I have, Micah. So I’m very interested in hearing what people say. Thanks for posting this!!

Pat

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Micah, are you going to permanently divide your garage? Or are you leaving it open? Mine is open and I don’t know if it would be feasible to close off half, unless I built a half-wall, or maybe a quarter-length wall in the back end and another in the front end, leaving enough room to open the passenger side doors if necessary.

Oops, forgot I have the garage door opener in the way in the front. Maybe build a partial divider in the back end?

Pat

I’ve tried to make use of pretty much 100% of the wall space in my shop, lots of stuff on mobile bases / wheels really helps alot and more importantly prioritizing what you need.

This is what I would have recommended also. They have mobile bases for virtually everything and you should be able to get it all to one side when you are not working. Put the work table on casters. If the table saw is simply too big, then the Bosch contractor table saw would be a great alternative.

msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

Pat, I was going to put up some sort of divider in the garage. Sort of like a curtain made from one of the canvas paint tarps, like a shower curtain, so I can pull it back when not in use so the garage can still open.

msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

Lon, maybe I will get enough points for that table saw some day 🙂 I do like the idea of the contractor saw though.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Pat, I was going to put up some sort of divider in the garage. Sort of like a curtain made from one of the canvas paint tarps, like a shower curtain, so I can pull it back when not in use so the garage can still open.

This is a solid idea and I am looking forward to seeing the execution. I have to share my garage with two cars so basically I don’t have a shop until I back my car out. I would like to be able to draw a tarp across to protect the her car while I have my saws setup.

I would like to be able to draw a tarp across to protect the her car while I have my saws setup.

Come on Jason, your saw was not going to hurt her car, it was going to make it dusty. Then you were going to hear about it and have to wash her car. Self preservation is a good thing. LOL

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Lon, maybe I will get enough points for that table saw some day :) I do like the idea of the contractor saw though.

The small saw is great for a small shop, I have it tucked out of the way undery bench most of the time and just haul it out when I need it (and can move out the car)

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I would like to be able to draw a tarp across to protect the her car while I have my saws setup.

Come on Jason, your saw was not going to hurt her car, it was going to make it dusty. Then you were going to hear about it and have to wash her car. Self preservation is a good thing. LOL

Very good point Lon, the saw dust will definitely be a concern come summer when there isn’t a half inch of salt all over it. I wasn’t concerned for flying material until this weekend when I was cutting a miter and the 2×6 I was holding blew up in my hand and shot across the garage. It was crazy and unfortunately I was low on time so I didn’t have a chance to do a ton of causal analysis but I will tonight.

Yikes! Kickback could cause damage so I would point the outfeed side towards the car. That way any kickback goes away from the vehicle. Obviously, you don’t want to be in the way either. Do you think you had kickback or did the board come apart on you due to some internal flaw? Glad you did not get hurt.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes as they say stuff happens. It has happened to everyone no matter how careful you think you are.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Very good point Lon, the saw dust will definitely be a concern come summer when there isn’t a half inch of salt all over it. I wasn’t concerned for flying material until this weekend when I was cutting a miter and the 2×6 I was holding blew up in my hand and shot across the garage. It was crazy and unfortunately I was low on time so I didn’t have a chance to do a ton of causal analysis but I will tonight.

Yikes, assume you were on the table saw? I have only had this happen once, and at the time I knew there was a bit of a risk doing a plunge cut on an odd piece of hardwood flooring.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Yikes, assume you were on the table saw?

The crazy part is I was using the Miter saw. I think there was a flaw in the wood because it totally cracked in half and I am not 100% sure but I think it damaged the fence on the saw. I will check it out more when I get home tonight and I will post some pics.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

The crazy part is I was using the Miter saw. I think there was a flaw in the wood because it totally cracked in half and I am not 100% sure but I think it damaged the fence on the saw. I will check it out more when I get home tonight and I will post some pics.

Wow, haven’t seen that one before. I hope your fence is okay, that saw’s barely out of the box. Let us know how it panned out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.542 seconds