dcsimg

Small solar power station

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

A few houses I have worked on had NG backup gen sets. I don’t know the costs. From my reading if you just keep water flowing and the fridge freezer working it is not that bad. To run a whole house with 0 inconvenience well crack the wallet open.

I’m looking at a 20KW generac for about 5K installed when we do the house. Not cheap, but not crazy. That’s with transfer switch and NG hook up.

I would still like to do a semi portable solar unit some day. Even to just sit on the deck to power the computer and run some music.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Not a bad price and easy to do on a new build.

What size main panel are you going to put in. Last couple I have seen are 400 amps. But a Farm service is different than down in the valley.

Thanks for the information everyone.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Not a bad price and easy to do on a new build.

What size main panel are you going to put in. Last couple I have seen are 400 amps. But a Farm service is different than down in the valley.

400 amp service as well. I am going to run everything to the shop first and then up to the house. Cost isn’t that great to go with 400 amp service any more and it’s better to have too much then not enough.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

A few houses I have worked on had NG backup gen sets. I don’t know the costs. From my reading if you just keep water flowing and the fridge freezer working it is not that bad. To run a whole house with 0 inconvenience well crack the wallet open.

I’m looking at a 20KW generac for about 5K installed when we do the house. Not cheap, but not crazy. That’s with transfer switch and NG hook up.

I would still like to do a semi portable solar unit some day. Even to just sit on the deck to power the computer and run some music.

Have you looked at the Goal Zero stuff? They have bunches of it at the local Costco here.

http://www.goalzero.com/

Have you looked at the Goal Zero stuff? They have bunches of it at the local Costco here.

http://www.goalzero.com/

I like the concept of Goal Zero. Our local Costco had the big “generator” and the smaller cell phone charger. I got the small cell phone charger. I used the panel a couple of times but usually end up charging the batteries with a USB cord.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

LakeLover, another thing you could do, is get a UPS, or Uninterruptible Power Supply. It plugs directly into a standard wall outlet, and switches over seamlessly when power goes out. How long it will run for, is dependent on how many and what size batteries you have. Amateur Radio Operators are big into those. You can even get them as kits.

Then you could have the solar panel and charge controller that you manually switch on when power starts to run down, or as soon as it switched over to battery power, just to keep the batteries topped up.

Here is an all-in-one type kit.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013045

Remember, if you decide to build your own system, don’t try to use a “DC Power Supply” to charge batteries. You’ll burn it up, and damage the batteries. Initial current draw is very high, which is why you need a purpose-built battery charger. It automatically limits current draw, and shuts off automatically when the battery is charged.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Forgot to mention, that homepower website is pretty cool. You can search old issues of the magazine, and they have tons of info about small-scale power systems, everything from solar, to micro-hydro, to wind.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Thanks for all the links. I have a UPS for the home computer. The other stuff is in the shop lots of room and great south exposure.

Those LI batteries are not that bad of a price.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I really like the idea of solar power. Just waiting for it to become affordable. I’d like to do the whole house really.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really like the idea of solar power. Just waiting for it to become affordable. I’d like to do the whole house really.

. If the electric companies have their way they will tax you for the electric you DON’T use…

Up here they will install it for free . They do leases deals with you . The extra power that goes back to power company they make money on .

Always willing to learn .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Up here they will install it for free . They do leases deals with you . The extra power that goes back to power company they make money on .

It has been a while since I checked on the price. I guess I need to research and see if anyone is doing that down here.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

choadjmd@aol.com
    Pro
    New Cumberland, PA

After pricing a small system for my house, it was cheaper to put in a back up generator with an automatic transfer switch for power outages. Solar is nice, but isn’t cost effective yet. At 30K to fill my roof on one side I would have only gotten enough to power a part of my house. HVAC would have been out of the question.

It has been a while since I checked on the price. I guess I need to research and see if anyone is doing that down here.

Anytime I go to big box stores there always asking you to go solar . There independent from Home Depot and lowes . The have a small display.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Have any of you looked into the power provided by small home windmills or turbines. I’ve heard you can get smaller ones for the home.

A Working Pro since 2004

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aren’t those small windmills loud as hell?

I just got approval to install a PV system on my home. My roof cannot support enough panels to zero out my bill. I’m going to look into the wind powered ones to supplement. Hope my HOA will allow a windmill.

I just got approval to install a PV system on my home. My roof cannot support enough panels to zero out my bill. I’m going to look into the wind powered ones to supplement. Hope my HOA will allow a windmill.

Can you restructure your roof so it can support the panels .

Can you restructure your roof so it can support the panels .

It can support the panels. I just don’t have enough roof. They estimated 27 panels for the amount of electricity we use and the roof can only fit 21. We plan on doing an extension in the future so we could probably add more at that time.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.496 seconds