dcsimg

Small Paint Sprayers

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Also look Into the 3m PPS system if you are considering HVLP. Allows you to spray any direction and cleanup is ridiculous fast.

I can’t imagine not using it, I love it that much.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Also look Into the 3m PPS system if you are considering HVLP. Allows you to spray any direction and cleanup is ridiculous fast.

I can’t imagine not using it, I love it that much.

It’s great until you run out of liners! I bought my HVLP with the 3M PPS system and occasionally wish I had a metal cup also… however, I bought a large quantity of the liners and lids on Amazon a few months back, so I’m set for a while.

Another advantage is that you can cap the PPS cups and sit them aside if you need to switch to a different material. This allows me to keep a couple of common finishes ready to spray on the shelf. You still have to clean the gun itself before switching though.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@driftweed @jponto07 any problems with material flow using the PPS? When using a cup it has the vent on the top. Sometimes if it gets clogged the material doesn’t flow as nice. Does the PPS being an airtight cup suffer that probelm at all?

I think I would still like to havr the cup as a backup to the PPS setup.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@driftweed @jponto07 any problems with material flow using the PPS? When using a cup it has the vent on the top. Sometimes if it gets clogged the material doesn’t flow as nice. Does the PPS being an airtight cup suffer that probelm at all?

I think I would still like to havr the cup as a backup to the PPS setup.

Not at all. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. The liner gets squeezed as the material is sprayed. This keeps the gun itself primed all the time, no matter if you turn the gun upside down or not. Mine has never failed.to spray.

Keep in mind that the 3M PPS is simply an add on to the gun itself. I’d venture to guess that that an adapter is available for your gun and from there you would just need the consumables.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Thanks @jponto07! Seems like I will go with the PPS option then.

Andrew

It saves me a ton of time. I have to spray a primer, then switch over to the epoxy in confined quarters (small bathrooms). Doing the switch takes about 30 seconds, mostly because I am cleaning up the gun itself.

I have 2 containers, so when I am done with a job I just toss the liners. Otherwise I would be spending a fair amount of time cleaning up the containers afterwards.

Being able to spray at weird angles is a major bonus, because sometimes yahoo’s put the toilet 6 inches away from the tub. That area would be impossible with a cup or gravity feed, I like that I can turn upside down and get good coverage in that area.

I was taught to value my time on a job, and if you can speed up production by spending a few bucks, you spend that few bucks.

I bill out @75/hr, let’s say 25 liners for $75 ($3/each)

Using traditional cup system let’s call it 30 minutes cleanup (conservative for 2 cups). That’s $37 to not use liners.

Let’s say with liners it 5 minutes. that’s roughly $6 labor plus $6 for l8ners, $12 total

$37 vs $12 the savings are very real. But that’s in a production environment. Even if I cut my time in half on traditional cups, I am still losing money.

Thanks @Driftweed! Great way to think about it!

Andrew

redwood
    Pro

I have the Graco Tru Coat Pro2 and it sprays from all angles. I tried the liners and I think I made a bigger mess of things. It didn’t take me long to clean out the cup at all.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I had the proshot 2 with 1 gallon backpack accesories as well as the flexible tip extension.

For entry/garage doors it was the perfect combination of portability and quality.

Here’s a classic example, gutters:

Stand on the roof, bend the extension to a u shape, and walk the roof line spraying the gutters. No more shuffling ladders.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It saves me a ton of time. I have to spray a primer, then switch over to the epoxy in confined quarters (small bathrooms). Doing the switch takes about 30 seconds, mostly because I am cleaning up the gun itself.

I have 2 containers, so when I am done with a job I just toss the liners. Otherwise I would be spending a fair amount of time cleaning up the containers afterwards.

Being able to spray at weird angles is a major bonus, because sometimes yahoo’s put the toilet 6 inches away from the tub. That area would be impossible with a cup or gravity feed, I like that I can turn upside down and get good coverage in that area.

I was taught to value my time on a job, and if you can speed up production by spending a few bucks, you spend that few bucks.

I bill out @75/hr, let’s say 25 liners for $75 ($3/each)

Using traditional cup system let’s call it 30 minutes cleanup (conservative for 2 cups). That’s $37 to not use liners.

Let’s say with liners it 5 minutes. that’s roughly $6 labor plus $6 for l8ners, $12 total

$37 vs $12 the savings are very real. But that’s in a production environment. Even if I cut my time in half on traditional cups, I am still losing money.

🙂 I just like the fact that cleanup is very minimal. Toss the liner and lid aside and wipe out the cup, then run some solvent through the gun and you are basically done. It takes 3 minutes to clean up after spraying with the PPS system.

Jon P.
    Instagram

You can also use floetrol instead of water to thin.

Floetrol, I’ll have to look that up. Don’t like cutting latex with water, makes it too runny.

How do you know how much to cut paint without making loss it’s quality . That’s always my problem .

Always willing to learn .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How do you know how much to cut paint without making loss it’s quality . That’s always my problem .

Depends on what you are doing. For spraying I reduce it enough to get it flow while using the gun. Right out of the can is usually too thick to spray. Yes reducing the paint will cause coverage issues so you will need more coats but with a sprayer it is easier.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

15% is the general rule of thumb when it comes to thinning, thin more and you get into risky territory.

Ultimately you just have to experiment yourself.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

15% is the general rule of thumb when it comes to thinning, thin more and you get into risky territory.

Ultimately you just have to experiment yourself.

I was going to say 10%..only because that’s what the manufacturer generally recommends (If any thinning at all).

In my experience, you can thin certain things quite a bit…clear coats come to mind. When I’m spraying lacquer, I tend to start at 70/30, then increase the amount of lacquer for subsequent coats.

I think it helps the initial coats to soak in a bit. Depending on what I’m spraying, I typically shoot a couple of quick coats then sand the wood basically flat after it dries. This fills the grain and pores generally well enough to continue building a top coat. Species like oak and hickory require actual grain fillers after the initial coat/sanding though.

Jon P.
    Instagram

I have the 3M PPS system for my Earlex HVLP and I really like, even though I am not perfect with spraying finishes, the easier cleanup and ability to temporarily store finishes is significant enough for me to justify spraying when I might have used another method.

Will

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Hello dear

At first, you need to know who makes this airless paint sprayer? Then search airless paint sprayer, then you can easily find out the best airless paint sprayer.

Did you notice that it’s 4 year old thread? Dear?!?!

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.410 seconds