dcsimg

Small Paint Sprayers

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Im looking for suggestion for a small handled airless paint sprayer. I don’t paint that often but enough to justify purchasing a small gun. Right now I’m painting a small section of siding I replaced and its taking a long time to get under the lips of the course of siding above, and you can see the primed siding under that. I don’t like the way its coming out and the time is taking to long. I have a grace 390 large sprayer that is just too big and the setup and clean up is not worth it. I was wondering if anyone has used any of the small sprayers they sell at Home Cheapo or Blowes with any luck? Any suggestions of advice is much appreciated.

Doobie

I’ve heard a lot of people who are happy with the Earlex sprayers. They’re not budget breakers and seem to do their job.

What kind of paint are you using though?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Since you are familiar with Graco, why not use grab one of their handheld models. They make a few, one is even battery powered. I’ve used the battery unit and the PRO version. They are both good enough for small jobs, but keep in mind that they aren’t light! Also the need to be used nearly level. Unlike the 395 you have the paint is right there…tipping the unit sideways results in a loss of prime and a bunch of splatter.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie it’s an acrylic low luster and J that tipping thing may cause some problem I want to be able to get under the siding to get good coverage. I’ll have to be careful.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Do you have access to compressed air? Would a top feed gravity gun work for you? I love my devilbiss guns. I have them for automotive but I have sprayed latex through them with no issues (on small jobs). Even the cheap HF models work OK if cleaned and set up properly.

I have looked at the fuji systems as well, but I don’t need the portability and a good (excellent top feeder) is less money then the fuji system.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I have an old bottom feed, i have not used in a long time. i want to try to stay away from compressed air due the over spray and the mess.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

For latex and oil based house paints I use a Wagner electric sprayer that works well. Virtually no over spray either.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Do you have access to compressed air? Would a top feed gravity gun work for you? I love my devilbiss guns. I have them for automotive but I have sprayed latex through them with no issues (on small jobs). Even the cheap HF models work OK if cleaned and set up properly.

I have looked at the fuji systems as well, but I don’t need the portability and a good (excellent top feeder) is less money then the fuji system.

I have a HVLP gravity feed gun I use for spraying small stuff, a little trim or a couple doors. I like it for the fast clean up.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have a HVLP gravity feed gun I use for spraying small stuff, a little trim or a couple doors. I like it for the fast clean up.

HVLP guns are nice too if you have a compressor. lots of options.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

dod
    Pro
    Dayton, OH

I’ve got a Graco HVLP 3900 I have used to paint all my cabinets and trim. It has worked great with very little overspray.

-Daniel

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The gravity feed HVLP guns have come a LONG ways in the last few years. I can run my little gun with as little as 10psi.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I’m curious about the hvlp systems that include the air source as well, as i have an automotive project i would like to at least primer myself, as well as other painting projects around the house

Kamster
    Pro

I’m curious about the hvlp systems that include the air source as well, as i have an automotive project i would like to at least primer myself, as well as other painting projects around the house

I’d like to know too. Has any one used a Fuji Mini Mite 3 or 4?

The gravity feed HVLP guns have come a LONG ways in the last few years. I can run my little gun with as little as 10psi.

Im considering one myself. I dont think my small twin tank compressor can stand to drive most paint sprayers, so its that or a much bigger compressor – which I really cannot fit into my house

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Primers need to go on thicker than paints because they are a filler. Primers need to be sanded to get a smooth surface. To spray a thicker material you need CFM. With HVLP you need a lot less CFM than a siphon sprayer but a decent pancake compressor should provide enough CFM for one of the new HVLP guns.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Oh ok, i was thinking that even at a low pressure, the volume of air needed would still be too much for a little compressor. I just have a little twin tank as well, about 4 scfm i think, didn’t think it would be nearly enough, thanks for the tip

Get yourself the proshot 2, you can tilt it upwards quite a bit.

If you have a decent compressor go with a HVLP gun. For latex spraying tip size needs to be large. 1.8mm or larger is best. The HF guns come with 1.4mm tips. I have sprayed latex through those guns for years with good results but you need to thin the latex aprox 10%. You can also use floetrol instead of water to thin.

I am looking at a new gun just for latex. We outsource our larger trim finishing projects but the small jobs we do in house. I have talked to the owner of this company.

http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/products-we-offer/hvlp-spray-equipment/qualspray-hvlp-guns/

Super nice guy and very helpful! I am thinking of doing the AM5008. I might even add the PPS option.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You can also use floetrol instead of water to thin.

Floetrol, I’ll have to look that up. Don’t like cutting latex with water, makes it too runny.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

You can also use floetrol instead of water to thin.

I have used Floetrol in the past with good results. They also have Penetrol for oil paints that works well.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.322 seconds