dcsimg

Small Dresser Re-finish

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Looking good Andrew! That will be a great dresser for your boys to beat up.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@Sprokitz that’s just not right…funny but not right.

The finish will be a solid color finish. Probably a latex but maybe a laquer tinted.

Today I sanded everything once more and then clear coated tye drawer boxes. Just a simple laquer. I like laquer because it’s pretty durable and dries fast allowing me multiple coats quickly.

For the primer I used a high solids laquer surfacer. It is thick and requires reduction of approximately 50%. I sprayed the drawer fronts and cabinet. Then I used some 5 minute Durabond to fill some minor imperfections. Next was another sanding. The surfacer powders real nice when you sand it making for a baby but smooth finish. I sprayed 2 more coats and let it set.

Once I get a color from the picky client (wifey) I will sand the surfacer one more time and start spraying color. Hopefully this one will be done in a few days.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@Sprokitz that’s just not right…funny but not right.

The finish will be a solid color finish. Probably a latex but maybe a laquer tinted.

Today I sanded everything once more and then clear coated tye drawer boxes. Just a simple laquer. I like laquer because it’s pretty durable and dries fast allowing me multiple coats quickly.

For the primer I used a high solids laquer surfacer. It is thick and requires reduction of approximately 50%. I sprayed the drawer fronts and cabinet. Then I used some 5 minute Durabond to fill some minor imperfections. Next was another sanding. The surfacer powders real nice when you sand it making for a baby but smooth finish. I sprayed 2 more coats and let it set.

Once I get a color from the picky client (wifey) I will sand the surfacer one more time and start spraying color. Hopefully this one will be done in a few days.

It’s looking great. I too appreciate lacquer…it’s just much easier to work with than other finishes if you have the ability to spray.

Tell me about the primer you used. Never heard of such a thing!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@jponto07 it is a Sherwin Williams product.

I have used the OPex label surfacer (which technically is in their metal finishes line but also is approved for wood) and I have used their Sherwood line.

Both are excellent! They lay down nice, fill minor imperfections well, are fast dry for multiple coats.

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/products/wood/pigmented-wood-primer-surfacers/solvent/non-catalyzed/sher-wood-vinyl-primer-surfacer

Andrew

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Looks great, Like the choice of primer it looks like it just came off the assembly line.
    Great job, your son will abuse it for sure. LOL

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I am getting an education here on finishing with paint. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the finished product pictures. Have you decided on the drawer hardware yet?

I am getting an education here on finishing with paint. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the finished product pictures. Have you decided on the drawer hardware yet?

That’s great! I hope it is helpful. Finishing is something that takes time to learn what to use in what situation and patience not to rush it. I struggle with rushing it sometimes.

Not sure on the hardware. Wifey will pick that out. The drawers just slide on a wood guide. I will attach some plastic drawer runners which help it glide smoother.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The drawers just slide on a wood guide. I will attach some plastic drawer runners which help it glide smoother.

Oh I missed this thread…. Nice job on the junked dresser.
    Do you ever use some paraffin wax on the drawer slide?
    I find it works good for that.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

The drawers just slide on a wood guide. I will attach some plastic drawer runners which help it glide smoother.

Thanks Dirty! I have used that before. It works very well. The only thing I don’t like is if you have a darker color finish the wax leaves small “wax dust” as you use the drawers. I know its a minor thing but it looks like you never dust…lol.

Andrew

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Thanks Dirty! I have used that before. It works very well. The only thing I don’t like is if you have a darker color finish the wax leaves small “wax dust” as you use the drawers. I know its a minor thing but it looks like you never dust…lol.

I’ve used paste wax already. I don’t notice any more dust than this old house seems to generate.

That’s great! I hope it is helpful. Finishing is something that takes time to learn what to use in what situation and patience not to rush it. I struggle with rushing it sometimes.

Not sure on the hardware. Wifey will pick that out. The drawers just slide on a wood guide. I will attach some plastic drawer runners which help it glide smoother.

Hey Andrew, I could send you some Teflon tape, it’s very thin, sticks pretty good if you clean the surface good, I attached a picture, you can cut it to your size, P M message me if you are interested. I’m sure it could fit into an envelope easy. I can send you a couple of feet.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh yea the dust from the wax, I live with a lot of dust so I never notice.

Dirty

Hey Andrew, I could send you some Teflon tape, it’s very thin, sticks pretty good if you clean the surface good, I attached a picture, you can cut it to your size, P M message me if you are interested. I’m sure it could fit into an envelope easy. I can send you a couple of feet.

That’s a great offer. I think I have some left over from another project but if I don’t I’ll hit you up for some! Thanks!

I know it a little weird…just one of those things.

I was talking to my Sherwin Williams rep today about some different finish options. Depending on the color I may do either a tinted laquer with conversion varnish clear coat or a latex enamel with a waterborne clear coat. It will depend on what color the wifey picks.

Andrew

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

looking good so far, nice work..

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

I know it a little weird…just one of those things.

How about replacing them with some strips of UHMWPE ?? They would slide like they were on ice.

Dirty

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I was talking to my Sherwin Williams rep today about some different finish options. Depending on the color I may do either a tinted laquer with conversion varnish clear coat or a latex enamel with a waterborne clear coat. It will depend on what color the wifey picks.

I have used Sherwin Williams tinted lacquers many times. I was always very happy with the results.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

@overanalyze, hey no problem Andrew, I have it ready to go if you need it. No charge.

Well the color the wifey picked was to dark for tinted laquer so a latex enamel was chosen. I will apply a clear coat over that.

I used Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel. I have used it before and it does spray well and lay down nice. I thin it approx 10% with hot water. I find the hot water helps it flow better without additional reduction.

Here it is with 3 coats. One more coat and then two coats of clear and I am calling it good enough.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s looking good. Does it match the room it’s going in?

Dirty

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Looking good Andrew. Good tip on the hot water.
    That’s an interesting color she picked. I like it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.566 seconds