dcsimg

Small Dresser Re-finish

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 110 total)
  • Author

My wifey “found” a dresser for free. She does know I only want solid wood furniture if it is free. So it fit the requirement.

It is a cheaper pine 3 drawer unit. The drawers were in need of of tlc and the finish was trashed.

Here is the before.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

That is going to be a major project. What do you intend to do to recondition the dresser? Then, do you keep it or sell it?

come on man , don’t make us wait…

Come on guys…you know I like to build a little suspense! 😉

The drawers were a rabbet type joint. 2 of the 3 were loose. I popped them apart to re-glue. Also the drawer front had a small rabbet to overlay the face frame. I ripped that overlap off because I wanted to make new drawer fronts.

That meant I had to cut off 7/8″ from the drawer box depth because I wanted the drawers inset. Once I ripped everything down I re-glued the front joints and then used dominos to reattch the rear to the sides.

Andrew

Doobie

That’s the problem with pine, it dents and scratches so easy.

But if you put it somewhere where there are no pets or kids, it’s got a chance. Or you planning on selling it once refinished?

That’s the problem with pine, it dents and scratches so easy.

But if you put it somewhere where there are no pets or kids, it’s got a chance. Or you planning on selling it once refinished?

Nope it will get the shit kicked out of it in my boys room…lol…but I will have $0 in materials and just some time in it.

I am going with a high solids surfacer, paint, and clear coat finish to help protect it the best I can but it is inevitable that it will get dinged up.

Andrew

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Nice project, Andrew. It will have good style, proportions and a solid finish to boot. Well worth the effort.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Thanks @smallerstick!

Here is where I ended up today. I didn’t like the scroll work at the bottom so I used my track saw and cut it off square. Then I had some older pine shelves that I used to mill a furniture toe for the base. Used some glue and pocket screws to attach it.

Then I used the same pine shelving to make new drawer fronts. I got them attached and fitted and sanded everything before cleaning up for the day.

I hope to spray my surfacer tomorrow.

Andrew

Doobie

I like the changes you made there. Doesn’t take long when you’ve got the right tools eh!

I like the changes you made there. Doesn’t take long when you’ve got the right tools eh!

Thanks @Doobie!

It was a good tool day! I had half the van and half the shop tools out. Good mix of my Festool and Bosch tools!

Andrew

Doobie

Good mix of my Festool and Bosch tools!

Other than my big stationary machines, that’s what my shop is turning into, a decor of green and blue.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Thanks @smallerstick!

Here is where I ended up today. I didn’t like the scroll work at the bottom so I used my track saw and cut it off square. Then I had some older pine shelves that I used to mill a furniture toe for the base. Used some glue and pocket screws to attach it.

Then I used the same pine shelving to make new drawer fronts. I got them attached and fitted and sanded everything before cleaning up for the day.

I hope to spray my surfacer tomorrow.

That looks like a brand new dresser , nice work !

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

You cleaned it up very nicely! I’m liking it!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Nice job!
    I have modified a few pieces of furniture when I needed to.

Cut off half of built in armoire
    Modified an oak entertainment center to make it useful nowadays
    Turned an antique piano into a fireplace.

Nice work there Andrew! You brought that dresser back to life.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Nice work, Andrew. I really like the inset drawers and the new base.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Looks good!
    What was the original finish, varnish? How did you remove it?

Looks good!
    What was the original finish, varnish? How did you remove it?

Not sure what the old finish was. I ran out of Granat paper for my Rotex and the Rubin was gumming up pretty bad. We had some 40 and 80 grit Granat for our Planex. Why not try. It worked awesome! Strip the finish fast and the large size of the head made quick work of it.

Andrew

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Nice job Andrew. My wife came home with a very similar pine dresser she picked up for $2 at a yard sale. It had a sloppy white paint job on it and she wanted it stripped and refinished so it would go with the knotty pine in our summer place. What a mess ! Removing the paint revealed numerous nails and screws in the top and drawers. I cut everything to make new boxes for the drawers and was about to make a new top when she again came home with another $2 one she liked better and was a lot less work. Can’t win

Holy, man that looks great, what a difference a little time makes. Can’t wait to see the finishing, you said paint I believe?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.516 seconds