dcsimg

Small cargo trailer design/issues?

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

When I bought my trailer, the dealer showed me E-track as an option. I liked what I saw and bought track & fasteners to add to the trailer. It was a great move for me because it hauls different size items that all need to be tied down before moving. Check into this to see if would be of help to you. Here is a link:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Trailer-Products/E-Track-Straps-Tie-Downs?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=e-track&utm_content=770397139&utm_campaign={BING-USCC%20E%20Track%20Tie%20Downs}

Thanks for the link, I will definitely add some of that stuff. It’s much more affordable than I had imagined, I would have figured it costing $500-$600 as “industrial” stuff often does.

jfallon
    Pro

Don’t know if this has been resolved. If you are anything like me, your tools/cargo handling continues to evolve.
    Have you considered a used full size panel side van such as the Ford E150/E250 or Chevrolet Express 1500/2500. Many to choose from. I used a Ford E150 Chateau for many years as the “enclosed truck” and a 5×8 tilting utility trailer with the angle iron frame. I extended the sides with 24″ sections of plywood. The trailer is used for hauling larger jobsite tools, material, etc. I am in the process of redoing the 24″ plywood sides with thicker material to support a hinged removable top/cap to enclose the utility trailer bed to function as jobsite workbench, assembly table, a flat surface for cutting materials, vise mount, hauling sheet goods, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The other thing to take into account is that I may need a slightly larger trailer than I had hoped. While I could get all of my current tools into a 5×8, I may have to add more duplicate tools in the near future. Running 3 larger jobs simultaneously this week, my 2 shop vacs and 6 extension cords weren’t quite enough.

Well, Have ya ended up with anything yet?? I hope you did go bigger, A 5’x8′ seems so tiny to me and I think you’d outgrow it quickly. Buyers remorse sucks when ya get too small of a trailer, Been there myself.

I see you mentioned a small one would be easier to tow, Not necessarily true. The shorter trailers don’t always handle very well at high speeds and they’re harder to back up. Might be harder to find one with brakes too, For your needs I think you should be looking into at least a 6’x12′, And probably more like a 7’x16′ with dual axles. That’ll help on the tongue weight along with better handling at higher speeds @Jpg-woodworking

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

Thanks for the continued input guys, sorry I haven’t updated in a bit.

Shortly after I posted this question, my Land Rover overheated and cracked the block, and I ended up purchasing a Suburban. It has given me more room and also allows me to pick up plywood sheets inside it, which came in handy last week with the rain.

I will probably keep the Suburban as a company vehicle for one of my guys when I get to that point, and get my Silverado going again for another guy to pull a tool trailer. I’m still looking at a 5×10 and think it will work well for my needs as long as I don’t have the typical “hallway” floorplan.

I understand the usefulness of the larger 7×16 trailers, but I am not a builder or remodeler, I do finish carpentry, built ins, and furniture, so the materials and extra junk I have to haul around are pretty minimal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dang that sucks on the breakdown, The Suburban sounds like a good move anyway. A 5×10 enclosed trailer just seems so tiny to me, I hope you go bigger when the time comes. Good Luck

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.240 seconds