dcsimg

Slate Black Colour

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I bought a house last year which was built in 1901. I am planning to slate my small porch at the side to match the rest of the house. The main house, the roof is dark asphalt shingles but in course of time I’ll change that to black slate. So now I’m only changing the small area on top of the porch. Will I have to make structural changes for around 0.6 squares?

Good question , hopefully one of the experience guys that knows about this can chime in @RonW @ChadM

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I bought a house last year which was built in 1901. I am planning to slate my small porch at the side to match the rest of the house. The main house, the roof is dark asphalt shingles but in course of time I’ll change that to black slate. So now I’m only changing the small area on top of the porch. Will I have to make structural changes for around 0.6 squares?

Slate can be heavy. Without knowing more info there is no way of saying if your structure can support the extra weight without changes.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Slate can be heavy. Without knowing more info there is no way of saying if your structure can support the extra weight without changes.

Yup, slate can be and is heavy. For just over 1/2 sq you’re looking at 500lbs on up depending on size and thickness of the slate. For basic 3 tab shingles… probably around 175 LBS

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I knew a guy who does slate roof. It’s a pretty specialized group of skills and know how. Not many people do it and they are all really busy where I was living a few months ago.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yup, slate can be and is heavy. For just over 1/2 sq you’re looking at 500lbs on up depending on size and thickness of the slate. For basic 3 tab shingles… probably around 175 LBS

Wow that is quite an increase in weight for a small size.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for the response. That’s too much weight to carry. I surely need to make changes to the structure. Is there various thickness available in the case of slates? I’m thinking of calling the people who supply the slate in this part of the city. Thank you once again.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Here is a lot of info regarding the subject.

http://theslateroofexperts.com/downloads/Installation_Basics.pdf

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.217 seconds