dcsimg

Skilsaw Wormdrive TS SPT99-12

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Ok, I’ve put this saw through it’s maneuverability paces and I’ve got to say it was a great testament to large wheels. I was actually able to pull the saw up the stairs with one hand, without much difficulty. Up the smaller concrete steps, you could hardly tell you were pulling it up the steps. Those risers were about 4″, the deck steps were a full 7″+ risers.

The picture with the closeup of the underside and wheels, is me holding the saw half way up the riser with one hand and taking the picture with the other.

Excellent! Obviously those 16in wheels are a winner.

CB
    Blocked

Redwood,

Thank you for this review. I’m curious how this saw performs ripping operations. For example, sometimes I need 2×2 redwood rough trim, But generally end up buying 2×4 redwood rough and ripping them. Or I will have to match the dimensions of old growth, old mill cut sizes, and rip down rough 2×6. So what is it like ripping on this skil worm drive table saw for you?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Thanks for sharing. It would be interesting for me to see how well the dust collection works with portable dust collectors. I hope that’s something you’ll be able to get a perspective with your review. Those wheels look like a great feature.

j

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

Skilsaw is owned by Bosch, info can be found on the box.

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Skilsaw is owned by Bosch, info can be found on the box.

@OldCountryWoodworks Welcome to the forum. Bosch has sold the Skil brand to the chinese company that was making the skil saws. So Skil is now fully chinese owned.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m curious how this saw performs ripping operations.

The saw rips fine. I have put thousands of feet of timber strand through it. I did find that small sliver had a tendency to clog uo the dust shoot.

Dirty

redwood
    Pro

Sorry, I didn’t realize I had not mentioned the Skil’s ripping experience. As Dirty says, it’s great, with no problems. I’ve ripped ipe, 4×4 douglas fir, all without issues.

I don’t generally use a vac or dust extractor, just a 5 gal bucket. As long as I angle the chute properly and don’t kick the bucket over, it get’s most of the sawdust.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t generally use a vac or dust extractor, just a 5 gal bucket. As long as I angle the chute properly and don’t kick the bucket over, it get’s most of the sawdust.

The saw does have a chute with a nice angle on it and we used the 5gl. to catch the dust too. It does work well.

Dirty

CB
    Blocked

Thanks to both of you (Mark and DWB) for your comments on ripping dimensional lumber… about the only use I’d have for a portable table saw.

If I were to replace the hob goblin of old table saws that I juggle between, this Skil worm drive would be in the top 3 of what I would consider buying new. I’ve never bought a new table saw before. Always bought used.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks to both of you (Mark and DWB) for your comments on ripping dimensional lumber… about the only use I’d have for a portable table saw.

If I were to replace the hob goblin of old table saws that I juggle between, this Skil worm drive would be in the top 3 of what I would consider buying new. I’ve never bought a new table saw before. Always bought used.

I take a serious look at the DeWalt table saw.

Dirty

redwood
    Pro

I liked the DeWalt, but I sold it after I was awarded the Skil 99.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I liked the DeWalt, but I sold it after I was awarded the Skil 99.

Is the fence on the Skil as good as the DeWalt saw?

Dirty

redwood
    Pro

Is the fence on the Skil as good as the DeWalt saw?

Basically yes, they are both rack and pinion and pretty accurate. I don’t like the locking mechanism on the Skil though. It has a really hard snap to it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

I just bought the stand ( SPTA70WT-ST ) for the skil wormdrive tablesaw. Lo and behold it works for the small saw and the large saw.

I just bought the stand ( SPTA70WT-ST ) for the skil wormdrive tablesaw. Lo and behold it works for the small saw and the large saw.

Would like to see pictures of that , I assume you have both saws

redwood
    Pro

Other then space considerations, I see no reason anyone would want the fold up saw stand over the rolling saw stand.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

It is very simple. The rolling stand has weight and takes up a lot of volume in the vehicle.

The reason I got it is for backup when there is not sufficient space for my other system.

Need to be prepared for all situations.

redwood
    Pro

As I said, for space considerations. Always good to have backup plans.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

Oh ye of little faith.

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

Also got my power center hooked up

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.411 seconds