dcsimg

Skilsaw Wormdrive TS SPT99-12

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

So, as mentioned in another thread, I received this table saw to review for another publication. Some of you might remember that I reviewed it’s predecessor the Skil SPT70 WT for this site maybe a year and a half ago.

Since my review probably won’t be published for at least a couple of months, I thought I would give my friends here a blow by blow account, so to speak.

Of course feel free to ask questions.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

redwood
    Pro

First off, I’ll go over assembly and features.

This saw is much heavier then the previous model. This saw is 94 #’s assembled, the older model was 47 #’s. Now I’m sure that a lot of this has to do with the stands. The older model had just a small light fold up stand. This saw has more of a gravity rise stand with 16″ wheels. That said, this saw is still quite a bit heavier.

The saw itself is completely assembled, other then the blade safety items. The stand of course was not assembled. It came in about a 1/2 doz. pieces plus the hardware pack. Assembly directions were less then great, at least for me. Luckily, it wasn’t all that difficult to figure things out and everything seemed to be machined very well and I didn’t need to do any do overs.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, Mark, for giving us a preview. The stand really looks well designed and well built. Actually the whole package looks to be sturdy.

Looking forward to the next installment.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Im really looking for comparisons to the Bosch 4100-09 since the lineage is pretty clear. Do you have experience with that one?

Congratulations, it definitely looks solid, I like the fact it has the big wheels.
    Be curious to see how it holds up,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the stand too, The big wheels are great for moving around the site! I’m using the Bosch wheeled table saw stand and with the small wheels it’s a real pain to move around.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

redwood
    Pro
    montreal_woodworks wrote:</divIm really looking for comparisons to the Bosch 4100-09 since the lineage is pretty clear. Do you have experience with that one?

I’ve never owned a Bosch table saw, mainly DeWalts and a couple of others.

Other then the stand, I don’t think these saws have very much in common. All the capacities are greater with the Skilsaw. The Skilsaw uses a large wormdrive motor, which the bosch does not have. The Skilsaw also has a rack and pinion fence, which is more like a DeWalt then a Bosch. It also weighs around 30#’s more then the Bosch.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man those wheels will really help roll it on to the site. Very nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Mark, thanks for the review and input,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I bet those wheels will go up and down stairs like a gangster too!

Dirty

I bet those wheels will go up and down stairs like a gangster too!

That’s definitely a good point.

montreal_woodworks wrote:</divIm really looking for comparisons to the Bosch 4100-09 since the lineage is pretty clear. Do you have experience with that one?

I’ve never owned a Bosch table saw, mainly DeWalts and a couple of others.

Other then the stand, I don’t think these saws have very much in common. All the capacities are greater with the Skilsaw. The Skilsaw uses a large wormdrive motor, which the bosch does not have. The Skilsaw also has a rack and pinion fence, which is more like a DeWalt then a Bosch. It also weighs around 30#’s more then the Bosch.

Based on a lot of looking at photos (no substitute for using one of course) it looks like they took the 4100 body and cherry picked better versions of each main system.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How is the fence on it? Do you need to use a tape or can you zoom it in to a tight number?

Dirty

Doobie

Big plus with the big wheels. That’s one of the things with just about all mobile stands, the engineers seem to all think we’re just wheeling them around on flat level paved surfaces. Skil seems to have thought that out for the real world.

Big plus with the big wheels. That’s one of the things with just about all mobile stands, the engineers seem to all think we’re just wheeling them around on flat level paved surfaces. Skil seems to have thought that out for the real world.

Heck, I even like bigger wheels for going up and down stairs… if only to store it away in the basement when not in use for a while

redwood
    Pro

How is the fence on it? Do you need to use a tape or can you zoom it in to a tight number?

It appears that it is very accurate, but old habits die hard. If it is a critical measurement, I will verify with a tape.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

Heck, I even like bigger wheels for going up and down stairs… if only to store it away in the basement when not in use for a while

I have stairs and lot of ups and downs in my back yard, I’ll make sure that those wheels get a workout and a honest evaluation.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

I have stairs and lot of ups and downs in my back yard, I’ll make sure that those wheels get a workout and a honest evaluation.

Yes, that would be great. I do recall seeing pics of the outdoor steps you have. I think also standard household stairs would need a judgement as well, but don’t kill yourself Mark. At close to 100 lbs, it could be an awkward effort if the 16in dia wheels can’t rest as you go up or down on each riser.

redwood
    Pro

Ok, I’ve put this saw through it’s maneuverability paces and I’ve got to say it was a great testament to large wheels. I was actually able to pull the saw up the stairs with one hand, without much difficulty. Up the smaller concrete steps, you could hardly tell you were pulling it up the steps. Those risers were about 4″, the deck steps were a full 7″+ risers.

The picture with the closeup of the underside and wheels, is me holding the saw half way up the riser with one hand and taking the picture with the other.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

but old habits die hard.

It’s hard not to but the big Ridgid is very good.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.417 seconds