dcsimg

Skilsaw Worm Drive Table Saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I just saw a post on FB about some new Skilsaw saws – among them was a portable worm drive table saw. I may have to add another TS to my collection….
    http://www.coptool.com/skilsaw-new-metal-saws-worm-drive-table-saw/

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Looks like they are trying to get back into the game. The table saw sounds like a good one.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Err, why? In circular saw form it has some advantage due to its design, but once mounted under a table what difference does it make? Table saw are already geared down to be slower than circular saws.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Looks like they are trying to get back into the game. The table saw sounds like a good one.

I hope so. Too many of the classic tool brands have turned to crap, it would be nice to see Skilsaw return to the status they once had.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Err, why? In circular saw form it has some advantage due to its design, but once mounted under a table what difference does it make? Table saw are already geared down to be slower than circular saws.

The same reason that many prefer worm drives over sidewinders – power. Many portable table saws, especially small ones, are lacking in power – the worm drive motor would help that.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I saw that same FB post. I think it is a great way to get a solid motor in a compact jobsite saw. It looks like they borrowed the Bosch compact table saw design and added their wormdrive motor to it. I wonder if they added any other new features…

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Def looks like the bosch TS. Should be a winner if they can keep the wight down and the power up.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The same reason that many prefer worm drives over sidewinders – power. Many portable table saws, especially small ones, are lacking in power – the worm drive motor would help that.

But that’s a common misconception, there’s nothing inherent about worm gear that gives it more power. It’s all about gear reduction, which worm drive gear can do in a compact package. In case of table saw though, since the size of gearbox isn’t as limited as a handheld circular saw, a regular table saw can be reduced as much as a worm drive table saw, and have the same power.

yellaD
    Pro

THat was my first reaction too, why? I really want to know if there’s a big difference in performance and usefullness. We will see…

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yeah we’ll have to wait and see how it works in real life. Maybe it’s the brand recognition, Skilsaw and worm drive, maybe there will be some weight savings from the gearbox.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

That is pretty cool. A table saw with worm drive motor

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Interesting concept – my guess is that it will be a little more durable for heavier cuts, but that is just a guess. I do like the design of the little Bosch from what I have seen of it in the store.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That looks like a great set up. When I was a wee lad I’d make a box and mount my worm drive under it because I was too broke to buy a table saw. I’d screw a 1x down for a fence and I was in there

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That looks like a great set up. When I was a wee lad I’d make a box and mount my worm drive under it because I was too broke to buy a table saw. I’d screw a 1x down for a fence and I was in there

Is going to say they probably see a good amount of people doing this so they thought might as well give people what they want. To bad it’s not like a transformer and to use it in circular saw method you detach it from the table.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I think it’s a good concept, just wonder if it will please the masses. Let’s hope they keep the Skilsaw Worm Drive stability and quality that we all know.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just saw a post on FB about some new Skilsaw saws – among them was a portable worm drive table saw. I may have to add another TS to my collection….

Does look like a winner I may have top keep an eye out for it too.

When I was a wee lad I’d make a box and mount my worm drive under it because I was too broke to buy a table saw. I’d screw a 1x down for a fence and I was in there

Dirty sounds like an ingenious setup.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its a interesting setup.. now mind you a worm driven table saw isnt really that exotic per say… most older table saws were belt driven and i believe most cabinet saws still are

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

its a interesting setup.. now mind you a worm driven table saw isnt really that exotic per say… most older table saws were belt driven and i believe most cabinet saws still are

As are contractor and hybrid table saws

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What????

What I find interesting is that it might bring hybrid saw power to a compact jobsite. And with this model looking like the GRS1031, but a rip capacity to be able to halve a full sheet, it is already looking to be better than the baby Bosch, and I love that saw

Will be interesting to see if Bosch releases one of their own. Maybe a compact REAXX….

Now its getting harder to decide what my next saw is – I want flesh detection, but a more powerful motor and full width rip are huge upgrades (although I still prefer the track for breaking down sheets)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.262 seconds