dcsimg

Skilsaw 12" Dry Cut Metal Saw

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Congrats on the new saw, looks like it works very well. How does it compare to other abrasive chop saws?

I don’t have an abrasive chop saw right now or I would post a comparison picture, but I have used one at job sites and the cut is much cleaner than I remember it being off of the abrasive saw. The cut face is very smooth. I noticed a few burrs mostly on the aluminum, but one light pass with a file removed them. The material getting cut doesn’t heat up as much as it does with an abrasive saw either.

congrats on the new saw, it looks like it cuts through material like a hot knife through butter. How thick of a material can it handle? I wonder if it is capable of cutting 1/2 thick annealed steel?

The manual only has a specification that tubing walls be up to 1/4″ thick. If you were doing 1/2″ plate, I am not sure how it would handle it, but I will try to dig around for a scrap piece to try out.

Thanks! right now i am using metal band saw to cut my 1/2 inch and it does it but slowly..

robotmaster5379 wrote:
    The manual only has a specification that tubing walls be up to 1/4″ thick. If you were doing 1/2″ plate, I am not sure how it would handle it, but I will try to dig around for a scrap piece to try out.
    Well, If you were cutting pipe with 1/4″ wall then you would actually be cutting 1/2″ material……Right?

I was thinking along those lines. If you are cutting tubing, say 2″x4″x1/4″ laying down, you are cutting through almost 4 linear inches when cutting through the top or bottom, and 1/2″ total material when cutting through the side walls.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, If you were cutting pipe with 1/4″ wall then you would actually be cutting 1/2″ material……Right?

Yep, you would be cutting 1/2″ of material.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

robotmaster5379 wrote:

I was thinking along those lines. If you are cutting tubing, say 2″x4″x1/4″ laying down, you are cutting through almost 4 linear inches when cutting through the top or bottom, and 1/2″ total material when cutting through the side walls.

Indeed So, The saw is rated to cut up to 1/2″ material. 🙂

Yep, you would be cutting 1/2″ of material.

🙂 That wasn’t hard to figure out huh? LOL

robotmaster5379 wrote:

Yes that’s what I was thinking also, so if it would be a bigger or say wider piece, just use some sort of cutting wax or lube, and let the blade do the work, don’t force the blade.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

just use some sort of cutting wax or lube, and let the blade do the work, don’t force the blade.

I use paraffin wax. It’s cheap and comes in 1 lb. bars.

Anonymous
    Inactive

just use some sort of cutting wax or lube, and let the blade do the work, don’t force the blade.

How do you apply it? I’d suspect just hold the bar against the running blade? That’d be my kind of application, I don’t do the ole ‘wax on, wax off’ like Mr. Myagi would want….How often?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How do you apply it? I’d suspect just hold the bar against the running blade? That’d be my kind of application, I don’t do the ole ‘wax on, wax off’ like Mr. Myagi would want….How often?

Yea you let the blade spin and press the wax on it. When the blade is hot on the skil saw blade it will go through the cooling slots to the back side of the blade and then both sides are waxed. A jeweler would never think of cutting with out a well waxed blade. When the blade is hot the wax goes into the blade. I know it sounds crazy but true.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yea you let the blade spin and press the wax on it. When the blade is hot on the skil saw blade it will go through the cooling slots to the back side of the blade and then both sides are waxed. A jeweler would never think of cutting with out a well waxed blade. When the blade is hot the wax goes into the blade. I know it sounds crazy but true.

Ok very good

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

It appears to be very similar to the 14″ version expects that it cuts it the metal cleaner. I was able to review the 14″ Skilsaw and hopefully will post my review in the next day or so.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It appears to be very similar to the 14″ version expects that it cuts it the metal cleaner. I was able to review the 14″ Skilsaw and hopefully will post my review in the next day or so.

Yours must be the abrasive cut?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

And it doesn’t give off that nasty smell.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice tip Dirty. Thanks!

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Congrats on being chosen, and thanks for the review!

I’ve got a couple steel stud jobs coming up shortly, this just might be the saw for the job.

Doobie

Never heard of using wax for that. Thanks for sharing guys! 👍

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.246 seconds