dcsimg

Skilsaw 12" Dry Cut Metal Saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author

I was one of the lucky people selected to test the new Skilsaw 12” dry cut saws. Everything about this saw rocks straight out of the box. The base of the saw is a casting that keeps the saw firmly planted while using it (although at under 40lb is pretty easy to move). The saw is rock solid in many other ways: the hinge of the arm has virtually no play which makes for very smooth cutting motion, the vise for holding material clamps very tightly with no worry about the work coming loose, and the extending material support arm comes out a surprisingly helpful distance.

The saw easily cut through everything I could throw at it with no hints of bogging down. I have cut electrical conduit, thick wall steel tubing, steel angle iron, threaded rod, stainless steel bar, aluminum tubing, and aluminum bar stock. The cut quality is much higher than I have experienced with abrasive saws in the past and leaves a smooth surface with little burr at the edges. After cutting dozens of pieces of aluminum tubing, I don’t think any other method can compare. Cut edges can be cleaned up in seconds with a few passes from a file if a super clean edge is required. I made a video of the saw cutting (https://youtu.be/KSD7E_aBUAs) and will attach some pictures to this post for you to check out.

I was able to pull this saw out of the box and make nice cuts minutes later. If anyone has specific materials they want me to try cutting and post pictures of, I would be happy to do so.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

is the clamp removable like on other saws. Those things drive me up the wall and have to come off quick

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Good review robotmaster5379. From the video it look to be a nice saw that cuts well.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for the review, seems a few members ended up with the 12″ dry cut saw.
    Nice video also.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

is the clamp removable like on other saws. Those things drive me up the wall and have to come off quick

Yes it is removable Daniel.
    Only 2 screws and it comes off.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Attachments:
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for the video, It looks like it will cut anything that gets put in under it.

Doobie

Thanks for the video, It looks like it will cut anything that gets put in under it.

Certainly does. Thanks for sharing!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for posting the review robotmaster. Seems like a very capable tool.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

With the quick release might not need to remove the clamp. Looks like it gets out of the way pretty fast.

Ron

@robotmaster5379 congrats on getting chosen for a very nice tool,

Thanks for sharing your experience, looks like it does a great job, nice video.

Do you think you will need anything on the blade like wax for the aluminum, or it will be good as is, I know here in our shop, we often used something on the blade, just because the aluminum at times tends to get behind the teeth on the blades.

Clev08
    Pro

Congrats on the new saw, looks like it works very well. How does it compare to other abrasive chop saws?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

congrats on the new saw, it looks like it cuts through material like a hot knife through butter. How thick of a material can it handle? I wonder if it is capable of cutting 1/2 thick annealed steel?

@robotmaster5379 congrats on getting chosen for a very nice tool,

Thanks for sharing your experience, looks like it does a great job, nice video.

Do you think you will need anything on the blade like wax for the aluminum, or it will be good as is, I know here in our shop, we often used something on the blade, just because the aluminum at times tends to get behind the teeth on the blades.

I did notice after a lot of aluminum cutting that a few of the teeth were getting flecks stuck to it. The blade says it is rated for steel, so wax or another lubricant might help on the aluminum.

Congrats on the new saw, looks like it works very well. How does it compare to other abrasive chop saws?

I don’t have an abrasive chop saw right now or I would post a comparison picture, but I have used one at job sites and the cut is much cleaner than I remember it being off of the abrasive saw. The cut face is very smooth. I noticed a few burrs mostly on the aluminum, but one light pass with a file removed them. The material getting cut doesn’t heat up as much as it does with an abrasive saw either.

congrats on the new saw, it looks like it cuts through material like a hot knife through butter. How thick of a material can it handle? I wonder if it is capable of cutting 1/2 thick annealed steel?

The manual only has a specification that tubing walls be up to 1/4″ thick. If you were doing 1/2″ plate, I am not sure how it would handle it, but I will try to dig around for a scrap piece to try out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

How tall is the vise?

EDIT; Oooops, I watched the video and got a good idea with the 1″ material in it. Appears to be 2 1/2″ to 3″? That’s higher than I expected, Cool

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

With the quick release might not need to remove the clamp. Looks like it gets out of the way pretty fast.

Maybe I just understood it wrong that he wants to take it off because it annoys him 😀
    But yeah you are right Ron, the quick release vise/clamp works good and fast.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

How tall is the vise?

Hey boyd here some exact measurements:
    Workpiece clamp:
    width = 3″
    height = 2-3/4″

Fence:
    width = 8″
    height = 2-3/4″

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive
    @dabbs wrote:

How tall is the vise?

Workpiece clamp:
    width = 3″
    height = 2-3/4″

Fence:
    width = 8″
    height = 2-3/4″

Ok Thanks for the info, See how good my eye is. I guessed 2.5″ to 3″ high 🙂

RonW
    Holladay, Tn
    @dabbs wrote:

How tall is the vise?

Workpiece clamp:
    width = 3″
    height = 2-3/4″

Fence:
    width = 8″
    height = 2-3/4″

Good eye Dabbs. You can tell when somebody has actually had to work for a living.

Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive
    @dabbs wrote:

How tall is the vise?

Workpiece clamp:
    width = 3″
    height = 2-3/4″

Fence:
    width = 8″
    height = 2-3/4″

Good eye Dabbs. You can tell when somebody has actually had to work for a living.

Indeed, Thanks Ron. I do like that quick release feature on the vise, My 14″ Milwaukee abrasive saw doesn’t have that and it’s a pita to open it wide. I wonder if the Skil 14″ abrasive has that too?

The manual only has a specification that tubing walls be up to 1/4″ thick. If you were doing 1/2″ plate, I am not sure how it would handle it, but I will try to dig around for a scrap piece to try out.

Well, If you were cutting pipe with 1/4″ wall then you would actually be cutting 1/2″ material……Right? 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.271 seconds