dcsimg

Skills we can share or teach

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 142 total)
  • Author

OLD THREAD WARNING!

I have been training this temporary employee for 3 weeks now. The first week he worked with me. He only showed up one day. Last week when he a spare minute he was looking for a place to sit done. It is hard for me to keep a eye on him as I
    have make sure the line has product. He leaves 5 to 10 minutes before the end of shift.The other night I told what he had to do for the end shift. He did not to listen to what I said. I asked why he didn’t listen. He replied oh I am going do it now. I told yes you are and I am not doing your paper work for you. It turned out he managed to get everything done other then he had a few errors in the paper work. It is really hard spend alot time training this guy as he does not care and he could be laid off anytime.

This is what happens when you tell an entire generation that going to university and working in an office are the only choice for the best and brightest, and when you push those who are dumb or slackers into the trades as if they are for the “dumb animals” – You end up pushing good people away from the trades (where many would have been happier and thrived) and you load down the trades with human albatrosses. No wonder so many complain that they can’t find good help.

This week, I taught a short woodwork class to my son’s kindergarten class. They glued a bird shape (printed template) to a thin piece of pine, then cut it out with coping saws. Then they decorated it.. Gift for mommy. Most loved doing “real” crafts instead of just gluing construction paper. I figure it is possible to plant that seed early – maybe we won’t lose the next generation

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING!

I have been training this temporary employee for 3 weeks now. The first week he worked with me. He only showed up one day. Last week when he a spare minute he was looking for a place to sit done. It is hard for me to keep a eye on him as I
    have make sure the line has product. He leaves 5 to 10 minutes before the end of shift.The other night I told what he had to do for the end shift. He did not to listen to what I said. I asked why he didn’t listen. He replied oh I am going do it now. I told yes you are and I am not doing your paper work for you. It turned out he managed to get everything done other then he had a few errors in the paper work. It is really hard spend alot time training this guy as he does not care and he could be laid off anytime.

This is what happens when you tell an entire generation that going to university and working in an office are the only choice for the best and brightest, and when you push those who are dumb or slackers into the trades as if they are for the “dumb animals” – You end up pushing good people away from the trades (where many would have been happier and thrived) and you load down the trades with human albatrosses. No wonder so many complain that they can’t find good help.

This week, I taught a short woodwork class to my son’s kindergarten class. They glued a bird shape (printed template) to a thin piece of pine, then cut it out with coping saws. Then they decorated it.. Gift for mommy. Most loved doing “real” crafts instead of just gluing construction paper. I figure it is possible to plant that seed early – maybe we won’t lose the next generation

I agree. My companies hires temporary employees for 4 month period. If they don’t plan on hiring you. They lay you off. They temporary employees are usually hired in groups. They mostly happens for are busy season.

About 20 years ago I didn’t have a high school diploma. So I return to school in my late 20s to get it. Then the next year I went on to college and took a program to get into the Millwright trade. A couple months after college I landed a job for a company doing millwright work. I would work 3 or 4 months laid off for 2 month. This company would not give me apprenticeship. I did this for 2 years. Then I worked for guy logging for the winter. Then I got my first factory job. At least I had chance to apply for a apprenticeship there. But I didn’t get one. While I worked there. In 2007 I got laid off with another 149 people and the plant closed 2009. Since then I have went to Heavy Equipment & Truck driving school. I work in woodworking shop, Rental company, Furniture Company, Road Construction in Western Canada and now I am at my second factory job. I have learned alot over that time. This job I have is longest I have worked at place since 2007. I work rain or shine and get paid every 2 weeks. There is no guarantee if this place how long this factory will be here. But I have good job for now or until I find a better one.

That is awesome you got to teach your son’s classes. I am sure everyone enjoyed. Good work!

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

OLD THREAD WARNING!

I agree. My companies hires temporary employees for 4 month period. If they don’t plan on hiring you. They lay you off. They temporary employees are usually hired in groups. They mostly happens for are busy season.

About 20 years ago I didn’t have a high school diploma. So I return to school in my late 20s to get it. Then the next year I went on to college and took a program to get into the Millwright trade. A couple months after college I landed a job for a company doing millwright work. I would work 3 or 4 months laid off for 2 month. This company would not give me apprenticeship. I did this for 2 years. Then I worked for guy logging for the winter. Then I got my first factory job. At least I had chance to apply for a apprenticeship there. But I didn’t get one. While I worked there. In 2007 I got laid off with another 149 people and the plant closed 2009. Since then I have went to Heavy Equipment & Truck driving school. I work in woodworking shop, Rental company, Furniture Company, Road Construction in Western Canada and now I am at my second factory job. I have learned alot over that time. This job I have is longest I have worked at place since 2007. I work rain or shine and get paid every 2 weeks. There is no guarantee if this place how long this factory will be here. But I have good job for now or until I find a better one.

I understand that. It sucks. I worked for a bunch of big companies that went bust in the 2000s and spent about 4 years total laid off. Starting at Nortel just out of school was the first mistake.

Funny thing is, it’s the new way of doing business for many big manufacturing companies, and others also,
    They are moving away from hiring full time employees, and turning more to hiring on contract,
    No vacation time, no benefits to cover and so on
    Not only not being on the overhead,
    And like here, they are subcontracting out plenty of otherwise jobs that were full time, the plant maintenance (cleaners)
    And now they are even looking into doing similar with plant service and plumbing, and eventually electricians,
    It’s easy, it’s not up to the company to have supervisor and leadhands overlooking the schedule, plus it’s up to the subcontracting to have replacement employees,
    Big savings for plentiful of manufacturing facility,
    It’s the way of doing business now a days,
    I see plenty of people coming into the shop, hired as a contractor, they know that it’s basically temporary, so many of them don’t really put to much heart into what they are doing
    It’s all about the shareholders,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING!

I understand that. It sucks. I worked for a bunch of big companies that went bust in the 2000s and spent about 4 years total laid off. Starting at Nortel just out of school was the first mistake.

You right does suck. It is what is and we learn from our mistakes. These things you don’t learn in school.

Funny thing is, it’s the new way of doing business for many big manufacturing companies, and others also,
    They are moving away from hiring full time employees, and turning more to hiring on contract,
    No vacation time, no benefits to cover and so on
    Not only not being on the overhead,
    And like here, they are subcontracting out plenty of otherwise jobs that were full time, the plant maintenance (cleaners)
    And now they are even looking into doing similar with plant service and plumbing, and eventually electricians,
    It’s easy, it’s not up to the company to have supervisor and leadhands overlooking the schedule, plus it’s up to the subcontracting to have replacement employees,
    Big savings for plentiful of manufacturing facility,
    It’s the way of doing business now a days,
    I see plenty of people coming into the shop, hired as a contractor, they know that it’s basically temporary, so many of them don’t really put to much heart into what they are doing
    It’s all about the shareholders,

Yeah I have been there. One factory I worked at I was hired with 2 year contract. Two weeks before my contract was up I got walked out. I do agree with what you are saying. I have also seen where some temporary employees put alot effort into. Then once they become full time. They don’t care and miss work.

Greg

GTokley wrote:

Yeah I have been there. One factory I worked at I was hired with 2 year contract. Two weeks before my contract was up I got walked out. I do agree with what you are saying. I have also seen where some temporary employees put alot effort into. Then once they become full time. They don’t care and miss work.

That’s true also, Good point, I see lots of that here too.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

GTokley wrote:

That’s true also, Good point, I see lots of that here too.

I have seen alot of over the short time I have been there. Also I have watch good temporary employees let go after 4 months. I am still shake my head a this one.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yesterday my daughter wanted to play lego. I made a lego table for my girls a few years ago. Really is a table top that fits over there craft table. When not being used it can be stored be hind the couch. She worked on this all day yesterday. With only a few breaks to watch alittle tv.

Greg

Yesterday my daughter wanted to play lego. I made a lego table for my girls a few years ago. Really is a table top that fits over there craft table. When not being used it can be stored be hind the couch. She worked on this all day yesterday. With only a few breaks to watch alittle tv.

Lol I love seeing those photo bombs with the household pets peeking in lol
    Love them,
    That’s a great idea, and seems like she really enjoyed that, nice job.

Love it, and great idea!

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Lol I love seeing those photo bombs with the household pets peeking in lol
    Love them,
    That’s a great idea, and seems like she really enjoyed that, nice job.

Thank you @Boschmanbrian. She loved building stuff yesterday. If she didn’t like it she would tear down and start again. Keep her busy as she was feeling well. She is home from school.
    Yeah are dog also likes getting the picture. LOL!!

Love it, and great idea!

Thanks montreal_woodworks! We live in small place so works good for us.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Lego is so good for kids. Keeps them busy for hours. When we had little ones in the house, Lego was always a favourite.

That table is a very good idea, Greg. Looks like 3 or 4 kids (and a dog) could use it at the same time.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

In my position now I can give back a lot and learn/teach much more! This Season I received a foreman and management position. I always take the time to teach those that want to learn and also push them in the right direction. I’m more than happy to lead workers also into social media via Instagram or Bethepro, I’m happy to give guys tools out of my pocket if I know it will help them, I’ve given away the sites Green Code book and don’t worry about having to reorder more, take the time to explain working smart and safe, work smart by setting up gyn wheels and letting guys know about refusing unsafe work, believe in their individual skills, understand limitations to the their bodies and proper productivity and also work hand in hand with them by example: understanding I can easily move 40 60lbs mortar bags but their body may not be accustomed to it yet.

I was told many times by guys as I learned that “they don’t come to work to teach”, this really angered me. Well, everyday I go to work to learn, teach and share knowledge no mater if it’s your first day or your 35th year.

A Working Pro since 2004

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

AS a journeyman electrician we are teachers to any apprentices that work under us. Here is a question for everybody, can other things be taught that aren’t necessarily skills. ie drive, motivation, pride in work or might I have unrealistic expectations.
    Example, to me being on time is being early,

AS a journeyman electrician we are teachers to any apprentices that work under us. Here is a question for everybody, can other things be taught that aren’t necessarily skills. ie drive, motivation, pride in work or might I have unrealistic expectations.

I think so, and I think those who don’t have that naturally need to learn it from the consequences. If it slides, they learn it is ok. If there are negatives, they learn.

Best lesson I ever learned was getting fired. I deserved it, I got better

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I think so, and I think those who don’t have that naturally need to learn it from the consequences. If it slides, they learn it is ok. If there are negatives, they learn.

I like that! I am sure I am going to have fire someone in the future but I will be sure to let them know that they ought to take it as a learning experience. Gain from it and be better at their next job.

I like that! I am sure I am going to have fire someone in the future but I will be sure to let them know that they ought to take it as a learning experience. Gain from it and be better at their next job.

For what it’s worth, I would suggest not suggesting anything. Be honest about why, and leave it at that. When someone is told something like that, they almost always get defensive. Let them walk away and think on it. Don’t be mean, and don’t try to be their dad. Its business, there is a fair deal in place – they work to the level you expect, you pay to the level agreed upon (and on time). If either isn’t living up to that arrangement, the deal is off. Nothing more, nothing less.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Lego is so good for kids. Keeps them busy for hours. When we had little ones in the house, Lego was always a favourite.

That table is a very good idea, Greg. Looks like 3 or 4 kids (and a dog) could use it at the same time.

Thanks Peter! Your right it does keep them busy. It might be alittle big. I didn’t want to make too small. They girls seem to enjoy and of course the dog too.

Greg

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

one thing that annoys me is when guys have the attitue of i know how to do it i do it all the time but i can find multiple things wrong with how their doing that task… i can show them ways to create a cleaner finish or to make something stronger with less work

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Today when my oldest daughter got home from Swimming lesson & Junior Builder class at YMCA . She asked if I was be interested in teaching the kids in the Junior Builders class refinish 2 benches from the Gym. The instructor wants to sand and refinish the wooden top of the bench. She wants to do this when we have warmer weather so can be done outside. I told her sure I will do this. This will alot of fun.

Well I got the news from my wife on the weekend that Junior Builders program has been put on hold til January of 2018. The woman who works for my wife who was in charge of the program had hard getting organized to run this program. We will see what happens in 2018.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.283 seconds