dcsimg

Skills we can share or teach

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I finally got the book I ordered called Build it with Dad. I seem like it will be a good book. There is few plans that caught my eye. Still need to go through it closer.

Did you get the book at a bookstore or online? Are some projects in the book?

Its a great book. We have built three of the projects so far.

Maybe when my son gets older we can get this book and do a few of these.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have an interesting project going on lately; I have twin stepsons who have both just bought their first homes. Both homes are fixer-uppers and need quite a bit of work. Both boys work for their father who is an exterior contractor so that part of the renos are covered but neither one has any idea how to do interior work.

As I have done a fair amount of interior work, I have become the go-to guy for advice and guidance. Their dad is on board as well so the 4 of us have had some really productive evenings tearing out and rebuilding.

Feels good to be able to pass on some experience and feels even better when they come to you for help.

That is great Peter. I am sure it does feel good to be able share your experience & knowledge.

@hojo04
    I got the book from Amazon. I bought a a used book for a good price. I would say the books is new.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have an interesting project going on lately; I have twin stepsons who have both just bought their first homes. Both homes are fixer-uppers and need quite a bit of work. Both boys work for their father who is an exterior contractor so that part of the renos are covered but neither one has any idea how to do interior work.

As I have done a fair amount of interior work, I have become the go-to guy for advice and guidance. Their dad is on board as well so the 4 of us have had some really productive evenings tearing out and rebuilding.

Feels good to be able to pass on some experience and feels even better when they come to you for help.

That is great Peter. I am sure it does feel good to be able share your experience & knowledge.

@hojo04 I got the book from Amazon. I bought a a used book for a good price. I would say the books is new.

Sounds like a good book, Greg. I’m going to have a look for it.

We have had a couple of good days with the boys in their new homes. Today their father had one of his roofing crews there while he and I replaced the plumbing stack. The boys were there to help and learn, too.

It may seem strange to some to be there with my wife, her ex, their kids all working together but it really was a good day, got a lot of work done. Kind of nice that we could all work together for the kids’ benefit.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

@smallerstick not weird at all Peter,
    And like you mentioned, the main reason was to help out the kids,
    You guys are definitely giving them a great start,
    Keep up the great work, hat’s off to you and your wife.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

@hojo04 I got the book from Amazon. I bought a a used book for a good price. I would say the books is new.

Sounds like a good book, Greg. I’m going to have a look for it.

We have had a couple of good days with the boys in their new homes. Today their father had one of his roofing crews there while he and I replaced the plumbing stack. The boys were there to help and learn, too.

It may seem strange to some to be there with my wife, her ex, their kids all working together but it really was a good day, got a lot of work done. Kind of nice that we could all work together for the kids’ benefit.

It does look like a good book Peter. I still have give a look cover to cover. I know 3 or 4 projects I would like to build.
    If you looking for the book here is a link.

https://www.amazon.ca/Build-Dad-Woodworking-Whole-Family/dp/1440338965

I may be strange for some people. My Dad and my Step Dad get along. It is good work together to help the kids out.

Greg

Yesterday, I brought my son to the Easter-themed Home Depot Kids’ workshop. They must have advertised it somewhere, because there were a million kids, all of whom were getting new aprons (indicating this was a first visit)

I was near a group of parents who would not let their kids (older than Sammy, maybe 6 or 7) even hold a hammer. They could glue (not directly, the parents poured a drop onto a paper towel, and they used a q-tip that they had gone and asked for.)

Was funny to see their faces, when Sammy picked up a nail and hammer, gently tapped it in enough that it held, then backed off and drove it home. Repeat. By the 4th nail, the parents had (nervously) allowed the kids to try. They sucked, but they at least looked like they were having fun and gaining confidence. Next time, they will be better, and they will know they can do something. A lesson their parents were having trouble with.

That’s not fun, or even educational for their child, obviously they didn’t want to have their children bring dirt home lol could just imagine the house, plastic on furniture and some rooms even roped off lol

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yesterday, I brought my son to the Easter-themed Home Depot Kids’ workshop. They must have advertised it somewhere, because there were a million kids, all of whom were getting new aprons (indicating this was a first visit)

I was near a group of parents who would not let their kids (older than Sammy, maybe 6 or 7) even hold a hammer. They could glue (not directly, the parents poured a drop onto a paper towel, and they used a q-tip that they had gone and asked for.)

Was funny to see their faces, when Sammy picked up a nail and hammer, gently tapped it in enough that it held, then backed off and drove it home. Repeat. By the 4th nail, the parents had (nervously) allowed the kids to try. They sucked, but they at least looked like they were having fun and gaining confidence. Next time, they will be better, and they will know they can do something. A lesson their parents were having trouble with.

That is interesting. I really wonder what those parents were expecting. Maybe they learnt something also from the help of you and your son.

Well it looks like I will be going ahead with Teaching the program at the YMCA on May 8. The projects I have chosen to build will a Kids Tool Box & Robin’s nesting box. We will be also refinishing the 2 benches for the gym. My plan is pre cut the pieces for these projects. Then the kids can assemble and sand the the projects.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I thought I would share my purchase of the book Build with Dad. When I bought this book on Amazon. It gave me a delivery date. I know this book was coming from the states and would take longer. Normally all my Amazon orders arrive a day or 2 early then then expected delivery date. When I checked the mail the day after the expected delivery date the didn’t arrive. So I contacted the seller. The seller replied back within 24 hours explaining it could take 4 to 8 weeks for delivery and it could be held up at customs. They offered to give me refund. They gave me a refund on the price of the book and not the shipping. At the time I was ok with this as I had received the book. A few days later I called Amazon as I was having trouble ordering something. The Customer Service rep was helpful solving my issue and gave me $10.00 credit because I had trouble with this order. She asked if she could help with anything else. I then told her about my issue with book. She explained to me few things and gave me a $7.00 credit. I was pretty happy with Amazon’s service and I end up with book for free and it is a great book.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well with some disappointment I won’t teaching the Junior Build program at the local YMCA anytime soon. I guess what I want to do didn’t fit in there budget. They looking at making some changes for the fall session. Just have to wait and see.

Greg

Doobie

Well with some disappointment I won’t teaching the Junior Build program at the local YMCA anytime soon. I guess what I want to do didn’t fit in there budget. They looking at making some changes for the fall session. Just have to wait and see.

Sorry to hear that. Things often happen for a reason. Usually for the best in some way although we don’t always realize it until later.

That sucks! Our YMCA has been cancelling/dismantling their youth programs for the past couple of years as well. They cancelled the preschool program my son was attending this year

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Sorry to hear that. Things often happen for a reason. Usually for the best in some way although we don’t always realize it until later.

Yes things do happen for a reason. I am not worried about really. Just my daughter and my niece wanted to do some stuff with wood.

That sucks! Our YMCA has been cancelling/dismantling their youth programs for the past couple of years as well. They cancelled the preschool program my son was attending this year

Yes it does suck Eric. Sorry to hear about the programs at your YMCA. My wife is a manager at the YMCA . The person who runs this program works for my wife. So lets say she isn’t to happy. Anyways we will see what happens in the future.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

On Wednesday my youngest daughter came home from school with my Father’s day give in shopping bag. She was so excited to give too me. She is SR Kindergarten. She help make a birdhouse for me. She also painted. It is pretty nice gift.

Greg

On Wednesday my youngest daughter came home from school with my Father’s day give in shopping bag. She was so excited to give too me. She is SR Kindergarten. She help make a birdhouse for me. She also painted. It is pretty nice gift.

Congrats, that is so cool, and she must have felt great to give her dad something that she made, great stuff, and happy Father’s day

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

That’s a piece of art right there. gifts from the kids are the best ones.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

I cherish those kinds of things my son made for me in school when he was younger. Just can’t trash that stuff. Ever!

Hangman
    Pro

One thing I appreciate was my parents worked on their house, or had amazing craftsmen do a lot when I was a child. It instilled a love of tools into me the last 45 years, it’s great your daughter is interested and wanting to share that with her class!

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Congrats, that is so cool, and she must have felt great to give her dad something that she made, great stuff, and happy Father’s day

Thanks @Boschmanbrian. It is cool. She did feel proud that is why she wanted to give to me early. Even know she had help build it. I sure she learnt something from this.

That’s a piece of art right there. gifts from the kids are the best ones.

You are right gifts from kids are the best ones.

I cherish those kinds of things my son made for me in school when he was younger. Just can’t trash that stuff. Ever!

No you can’t trash that stuff.

One thing I appreciate was my parents worked on their house, or had amazing craftsmen do a lot when I was a child. It instilled a love of tools into me the last 45 years, it’s great your daughter is interested and wanting to share that with her class!

I am sure my daughter has told her teacher the stuff her Dad makes. As the teacher had told my wife that she would hope stop by the school. With my schedule it really wasn’t possible. I think the teacher had her husband do most of the work on the house with the kids fasten some pieces on and paint them.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING!

I have been training this temporary employee for 3 weeks now. The first week he worked with me. He only showed up one day. Last week when he a spare minute he was looking for a place to sit done. It is hard for me to keep a eye on him as I
    have make sure the line has product. He leaves 5 to 10 minutes before the end of shift.The other night I told what he had to do for the end shift. He did not to listen to what I said. I asked why he didn’t listen. He replied oh I am going do it now. I told yes you are and I am not doing your paper work for you. It turned out he managed to get everything done other then he had a few errors in the paper work. It is really hard spend alot time training this guy as he does not care and he could be laid off anytime.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.472 seconds