dcsimg

Skills we can share or teach

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Yes I figured it was easy enough too teach. I was think about using some off cuts as sanding blocks. I have 1/4 sheet sander & mouse sander I was thinking about taking with me as well. It should be alot fun.

With my son, I discovered that a RO flipped over is easy enough for him to use as a “benchtop sander” for small pieces. Safe-ish too so long as its a fine grit

Thanks for the tip. I will remember this. I do have 3 x 21 belt sander with adjustable speed setting on it.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Yes I figured it was easy enough too teach. I was think about using some off cuts as sanding blocks. I have 1/4 sheet sander & mouse sander I was thinking about taking with me as well. It should be alot fun.

With my son, I discovered that a RO flipped over is easy enough for him to use as a “benchtop sander” for small pieces. Safe-ish too so long as its a fine grit

Thanks for the tip. I will remember this. I do have 3 x 21 belt sander with adjustable speed setting on it.

Welcome- Ive been letting him use my Festool Pro 5 – the movement is very smooth and doesn’t go far, so it won’t launch anything anywhere.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I don’t ever know what Festool Pro 5 is. I will have look that up. I will check out my belt sander with them. I really don’t use it much.

Greg

I don’t ever know what Festool Pro 5 is. I will have look that up. I will check out my belt sander with them. I really don’t use it much.

Was a promotional product made by Festool. A Random Orbit for 100$ but at similar quality to sanders many times that price – they want to get people into their product line to help sell the better stuff

In either case, any small random orbit would work well for this, but the less vibration the better

Doobie

You might not want to bother. The offer is long over with being able to take advantage of.

Was a promotional product made by Festool. A Random Orbit for 100$ but at similar quality to sanders many times that price – they want to get people into their product line to help sell the better stuff

That’s pretty well it. Many are kicking themselves for not jumping in on the deal in the few days it was being offered before it sold out.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

You might not want to bother. The offer is long over with being able to take advantage of.

I am not sure how you got I want one from what said. I really have no idea what kinda tool it was. As I don’t follow Festool products. Their price scares me away.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d like to learn all of OA skills,, that guy is bad a$$!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I have picked up some good tips from him, definitely would like to be his helper for a few months, he definitely knows his stuff,
    Like many other members here, that’s what makes BTP a great place for information.

Haven’t seen him around to much, must be busy

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have picked up some good tips from him, definitely would like to be his helper for a few months, he definitely knows his stuff,
    Like many other members here, that’s what makes BTP a great place for information.

I couldn’t agree more about BTP being a great place for information.

Greg

I agree. He is one of the guys I would love to learn more from. There are several others – in fact, almost everyone knows at least a dozen things I want to learn

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Well we are just working out the dates and supplies need to do this job. I also offered to teach 1 class a month. My plan we start on making a project out of wood and have it all assembled. If it took 2 class I would come back to get completed. Then when I not there they could sand/paint. I would look after getting the wood ready at home. So I think I need to work on list of projects we could build. Any suggests?

Greg

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

So I think I need to work on list of projects we could build. Any suggests?

Start them off with a tool box.

A simple bird house or feeder.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Nice ideas Frank,
    Also maybe a small round stool, or a small bench, picture frame,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Nice ideas so far. I was thinking about a bird house, I like the idea of the tool box.

Nice ideas Frank,
    Also maybe a small round stool, or a small bench, picture frame,

These are good ideas too. I will be starting a list with these on it.

Greg

Tool box or small work bench. Give them something to use to make more stuff

Picture frames are a classic too

I have a great book called Build it with Dad that I highly recommend

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Yes he is. I wouldn’t mind following him around the site a few days.

Think he’s taking a little break from the place. Tired of the BS.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I like the idea of making a work bench and something they can use to make more stuff. But I believe we really no storage for bigger items. I am not 100% sure. The that will used to work in is a shared room. I really looking for ideas of small projects. These kids only have 1 hour a week to do this work. I really want get a list of projects together to present person in charge of program. Plus I am not sure what kind of budget we have. But really I looking forward getting this started. I will check out this book. Thanks!

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes he is. I wouldn’t mind following him around the site a few days.

Think he’s taking a little break from the place. Tired of the BS.

It is very thick,,He is still posting,, I see his post at the pro site..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

That’s a great idea.

Most kids in this country grow up thinking that any kind of hands on work is below them, and God put them on earth to party in college and play video games.

They are gonna have a big surprise waiting for them in the next couple decades.

Anything we can do to teach them an actual skill, or encourage them to build something, grow their own food, butcher an animal, anything other than playing with their F***ing IPhone, is time well spent.

Every now and then, I just have this urge to bitch about the over-indulged and privileged next generation. This should do me for awhile.

Delta

Bizarrely, I have hope for the latest crop of young’uns. The 20-something millennial crowd may have grown up somewhat useless, but they genuinely want to learn to do things themselves, even if they hide it behind words like artisanal and craft. And I see the kids in my sons class already learning so many things that were not taught when I was a kid. My (almost 5 year old) son can garden, use a hammer and handsaw (well, a coping saw -its easier to handle) and can use a real paring knife. And he isn’t unique. They have cooking and woodworking classes at his pre-K and he comes home and shows us what he learned. Next up is to get him more comfortable with hand planes – he can “make ribbons” with a #3 and a block plane but his attention span just isn’t there yet.

Fair enough points. I agree wholeheartedly despite partying in college myself.

I am 32 years old (not nearly the youngest guy on this site I’d bet), work as a high school math teacher full time, and in the summer I build furniture for commission. During the school year I have less time to do that, so I just build for myself during that part of the year. I fix up my own house that I bought.

I teach my son and daughter about safe, responsible tool use and care. My son (4) knows how to use most of the hand tools in my shop. I hope for his sake that he’s not one of only a few learning these skills, but I worry about that.

When you apply sweeping generalizations to an age group, it’s many times warranted, but remember that there are exceptions. There are those of us who have seen the light, and are trying to move in the right direction.

Recommended reading: “Shop Class as Soulcraft”, Matthew Crawford.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I found this book on Amazon and ordered in yesterday. Look forward to getting it.

When you apply sweeping generalizations to an age group, it’s many times warranted, but remember that there are exceptions. There are those of us who have seen the light, and are trying to move in the right direction.

Recommended reading: “Shop Class as Soulcraft”, Matthew Crawford.

This is so true. Thanks for adding this. I will check this book out.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.711 seconds