dcsimg

Skills we can share or teach

This topic contains 103 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 6 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 104 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I youngest daughter came to me together asked if I could come to her class and show the kids in her Kindergarten class how use a hammer. I told yeah I could do that if is alright with teacher. She said you know you & I are the only ones who know how use a hammer right Daddy.

I thought this was pretty interesting for her to say this. It might be fun to do something like this.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The opportunity to teach young children is a great thing. exposing them to woodworking and handyman skills will benefit them for a lifetime.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

definitely a good idea.. just depending on the age.. maybe through making a small project the kids can do in class.. have everything already cut out for them such as a bird house or something. all they have to do is assemble

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Anonymous

Not so much i can teech, Not much book learning and not great at typing

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That would be a great opportunity to expose them to the crafts. Hopefully it will encourage them to keep the woodshops and metal shops in schools

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I youngest daughter came to me together asked if I could come to her class and show the kids in her Kindergarten class how use a hammer. I told yeah I could do that if is alright with teacher. She said you know you & I are the only ones who know how use a hammer right Daddy.

I thought this was pretty interesting for her to say this. It might be fun to do something like this.

That is priceless, gotta love the innocence of kids.

That would be a great idea
    And as @jkirk mentioned having all the pieces ready to go.
    Hope you get the opportunity.
    I have had my daughter help me around the house many times. She seems to like it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

definitely a good idea.. just depending on the age.. maybe through making a small project the kids can do in class.. have everything already cut out for them such as a bird house or something. all they have to do is assemble

Great idea, never had anything like that when I went to junior school.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I thinks it’s a great idea. I didn’t have anything like that till Junior High like @58chev said. Maybe even show them how to use a screwdriver and Philips. I bet the kids would like working and building something with their hands. Bird house would nice as someone mentioned since spring will be here in no time.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

when i was first starting out we still had a woodworking show that took place in november.. the first year i attended.. the trade school teamed up with busy buy tools and actually did a kids workshop where we helped and watched over smaller kids using the scroll saw, drill press and drum sander to make xmas projects. it was a huge hit.

if memory serves correct they had the choice of 3 projects.. a xmas tree, reindeer or a angel.. i cant remember if we had a painting station or not though

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

That’s a great idea.

Most kids in this country grow up thinking that any kind of hands on work is below them, and God put them on earth to party in college and play video games.

They are gonna have a big surprise waiting for them in the next couple decades.

Anything we can do to teach them an actual skill, or encourage them to build something, grow their own food, butcher an animal, anything other than playing with their F***ing IPhone, is time well spent.

Every now and then, I just have this urge to bitch about the over-indulged and privileged next generation. This should do me for awhile.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I can’t take credit for the idea. It came from my 5 year old. The age of the kids in her class are 4 to 5 years old. Yes making a small bird house would be good idea. I have been wanting do something like with girls for a while.

This I am not sure if this will happen or not. I think it would enjoy showing the kids. Ii will have contact the teacher to see if this would be something she would like.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

That’s a great idea.

Most kids in this country grow up thinking that any kind of hands on work is below them, and God put them on earth to party in college and play video games.

They are gonna have a big surprise waiting for them in the next couple decades.

Anything we can do to teach them an actual skill, or encourage them to build something, grow their own food, butcher an animal, anything other than playing with their F***ing IPhone, is time well spent.

Every now and then, I just have this urge to bitch about the over-indulged and privileged next generation. This should do me for awhile.

Delta

Bizarrely, I have hope for the latest crop of young’uns. The 20-something millennial crowd may have grown up somewhat useless, but they genuinely want to learn to do things themselves, even if they hide it behind words like artisanal and craft. And I see the kids in my sons class already learning so many things that were not taught when I was a kid. My (almost 5 year old) son can garden, use a hammer and handsaw (well, a coping saw -its easier to handle) and can use a real paring knife. And he isn’t unique. They have cooking and woodworking classes at his pre-K and he comes home and shows us what he learned. Next up is to get him more comfortable with hand planes – he can “make ribbons” with a #3 and a block plane but his attention span just isn’t there yet.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

My were girls exposed gardening how making stuff in Daycare. Also are learning about growing plants and have been involved in cooking. In my daughters kindergarten class they are suppose to be building something. This why brought about showing the class how to use a hammer.

I work with people in 20’s and most of them don’t work 5 day work week. But always want money.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Not so much i can teech, Not much book learning and not great at typing

it looks like 808 has left the building.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Today when my oldest daughter got home from Swimming lesson & Junior Builder class at YMCA . She asked if I was be interested in teaching the kids in the Junior Builders class refinish 2 benches from the Gym. The instructor wants to sand and refinish the wooden top of the bench. She wants to do this when we have warmer weather so can be done outside. I told her sure I will do this. This will alot of fun.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

I believe wood working and working with basic tools is becoming a lost art.

Today when my oldest daughter got home from Swimming lesson & Junior Builder class at YMCA . She asked if I was be interested in teaching the kids in the Junior Builders class refinish 2 benches from the Gym. The instructor wants to sand and refinish the wooden top of the bench. She wants to do this when we have warmer weather so can be done outside. I told her sure I will do this. This will alot of fun.

Thats a great idea! Easy enough to teach – just need some offcuts of 2X2s or 2x4s to use as sanding blocks

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

My were girls exposed gardening how making stuff in Daycare. Also are learning about growing plants and have been involved in cooking. In my daughters kindergarten class they are suppose to be building something. This why brought about showing the class how to use a hammer.

I work with people in 20’s and most of them don’t work 5 day work week. But always want money.

Same here our daughter has been making small items, one was a little birdhouse for me for Father’s day 🙂
    And some other little trinkets
    Also growing plants from seed and cooking little treats at school.
    She also has known how to use a drill / driver and hammer.

We have made a few pieces of small bookshelves for her with her.

Looking forward to seeing you guys get that bench redone. Great idea once again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I believe wood working and working with basic tools is becoming a lost art.

You could be right! I have only been woodworking for about 6 years now and I am in my 40’s. So maybe there is still hope it will be coming back.

Thats a great idea! Easy enough to teach – just need some offcuts of 2X2s or 2x4s to use as sanding blocks

Yes I figured it was easy enough too teach. I was think about using some off cuts as sanding blocks. I have 1/4 sheet sander & mouse sander I was thinking about taking with me as well. It should be alot fun.

Looking forward to seeing you guys get that bench redone. Great idea once again.

There is suppose to be two benches to refinish. Not sure how long this will take.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Yes I figured it was easy enough too teach. I was think about using some off cuts as sanding blocks. I have 1/4 sheet sander & mouse sander I was thinking about taking with me as well. It should be alot fun.

With my son, I discovered that a RO flipped over is easy enough for him to use as a “benchtop sander” for small pieces. Safe-ish too so long as its a fine grit

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.246 seconds