dcsimg

Skil Saw Pro Tips

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have done almost all of whats in the video, but the cutting of sheet metal. But he left out one thing cutting rounds in plywood.

Joshua, nice free hand cuts.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have done almost all of whats in the video, but the cutting of sheet metal. But he left out one thing cutting rounds in plywood.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UlM8FkTAQB8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

honestly – I had no clue you could do that. 😀
    I would probably take you the jig saw and cut the circle haha

Cutting rounds with the circ saw has been my go to for years. So much faster, and more consistent cut than you can get with a jig saw. I like to joke “that’s why they call it a CIRCULAR saw.”

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UlM8FkTAQB8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

that is some really good control doing freehand circles on ply, very impressive. I’ve never seen that done before.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UlM8FkTAQB8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

honestly – I had no clue you could do that. 😀
    I would probably take you the jig saw and cut the circle haha

Cutting rounds with the circ saw has been my go to for years. So much faster, and more consistent cut than you can get with a jig saw. I like to joke “that’s why they call it a CIRCULAR saw.”

My first ever atemp at doing a arch with a circular saw was a 2×12 PT for a abor arch gazebo . I was amazed at how well it work .

Always willing to learn .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Looks like he makes a circular saw basics video as well.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lots of good tips in the video, Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lots of good tips in the video, Thank you for posting.

Very appreciated – the problem with being self taught is you never realize all the things you dont know about

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I’m with you guys who are precision freaks. I’m a finish carpenter and furniture maker, so anything looser than: to the left or right of the 1/16″ is imprecise.

I don’t hang much Sheetrock, but I did some today on a closet I was framing, and measuring that to the 1/16″ before cutting and snapping it left me with quite a bit of trimming to get the panels fitting together right! Sometimes it is better to be 1/8″ shy, but it’s still hard to make myself do it.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I don’t know but I would never think about taking the blade guard off.
    It sounds like that he really loves his mag77

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Good tips!
    I use the so called polish plane ( didn’t know about the name and I thought I’ve invented the wheel 🙂 ) with a miter saw. Never tried or think at a circular or worm saw. I mortised wood with a circular saw but I cleaned it up with a chisel or put it on a miter saw.
    Most probably he was bored when he did the video. See the left foot. Gout maybe. Or a cast.

I do it to clean up bottom of a lap joint, complete freehand like that though I’ll pass for now.

Video is making me wanting a worm drive saw again though…

Doobie

Just looking at this thread for the first time now. Wow, that guy knows how to use a saw. Cool stuff. Thanks for posting! 👍

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have done pretty much all of the things he did in the video. I am never in such a rush that I worry about gang cutting. I wish my work had a sky hook maybe I will add it even the though the saw is old.

The thing with cutting circles is the thickness of the material and the depth of the saw blade. Its all about that. If you have a bigger saw you have less blade binding as you lower the depth. I dont think your cutting circles in any stock greater than 3/4

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

monman1
    Pro

The thing with cutting circles is the thickness of the material and the depth of the saw blade. Its all about that. If you have a bigger saw you have less blade binding as you lower the depth. I dont think your cutting circles in any stock greater than 3/4

You are right. The thickest i have cut a round in is 5/8 plywood with a radius of 45 inch, and the smallest in 3/8 plywood with a radius of 18 inch.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Catching up with this for the first time; I am impressed with how comfortable he is with a saw and how quick and accurate he is. Lots of great tips. Love the expression “polish plane”, I hadn’t heard that before.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Some talented folks here. I’m amazed at the circle cuts though. Don’t laugh, but have enough trouble making freehand cuts straight (without a chalk line). Those circles blew my mind.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Some talented folks here. I’m amazed at the circle cuts though. Don’t laugh, but have enough trouble making freehand cuts straight (without a chalk line). Those circles blew my mind.

Well don’t feel bad – I am in the same boat lol. Might need more practice and experience to get it nice and straight but I don’t know, I’m not there yet lol.
    I will build a small plywood track soon for my circular saw 😀
    The guy in the video is once with his saw. he definitely knows what he can do with it and feels comfortable with it.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

That’s why they have track saws, LOL I’m in the same boat, Eric.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is also why I got the track for my circular saw. I have trouble keeping a perfectly straight line on long cuts.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Use a speed square against the saw for cross cuts and if your ripping plywood long ways a simple hand spread holding the saw from the edge helps way more than you realize.

If your ripping on chalk lines in the middle of sheets remember to adjust the blade depth because too deep will pull you if you veer off track.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

@monman1 great job on the arch,

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.332 seconds