dcsimg

Sink drain issue

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I am putting in a sink in the laundry room and realized I have an issue. That part of the house is on the upper side of a split level home, so while the drain stack continues for several feet below the floor where the sink would go (and is very accessible) there is no downward path for the sink drain itself due to an interior foundation wall (poured concrete) that comes up to 36″.

Right now, the only choices I can see are:
    a) cut a hole into the wall (that kind of sucks, and is beyond my skills and equipment, I expect)
    b) put in a drain pump and have it pump the water up over the wall and into the drain at a new wye near where the washing machine currently drains

Any other options? Im on the fence about trying to hire a plumber to do this and let him cut a hole. Just feels like a very expensive situation

RyanF
    Pro

I would just go through the wall. It isnt beyond your skills. Do you have any sds rotary hammers? Even a Plus is fine for a one-off.

I would just go through the wall. It isnt beyond your skills. Do you have any sds rotary hammers? Even a Plus is fine for a one-off.

I don’t, but it wouldn’t be an expensive rental.
    Multiple holes and chisel the waste to make the one bigger hole?

RyanF
    Pro

If youre renting, may as well just get whatever size core bit you need. The hole and chisel approach works in a pinch if youve already got the hammer and smaller hole and chisel bits.

Edit: Dont make the hole any bigger than you need it to be. Less chance of hitting rebar, which if you cant locate it beforehand, will pretty much come down to luck.

If youre renting, may as well just get whatever size core bit you need. The hole and chisel approach works in a pinch if youve already got the hammer and smaller hole and chisel bits.

Edit: Dont make the hole any bigger than you need it to be. Less chance of hitting rebar, which if you cant locate it beforehand, will pretty much come down to luck.

Can you get a core bit big enough for a sink drain line (ID of 1.5″)

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

A picture would sure help us help you.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I would just rent a coring machine for sure

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Can you get a core bit big enough for a sink drain line (ID of 1.5″)

Definitely. You can even get solid bits in that size if you want. Call your local rental house. They should be able to help.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

You need a 2″ pipe for that laundry sink correct?

If its not cinder block I would rent something.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’d go thru the wall myself. But maybe another option is to raise the sink!

I in fact did that for the laundry type sink I installed in my shop, but not as high as you would need. The idea was that I knew I’d be using it lots for cleaning and washing things in and I hated the height those leg sets they sell for them brings it at. I hate being slightly haunched over for extended periods and quite often when cleaning stuff in one of those laundry sinks, that’s exactly what ends up happening.

Indeed.

Kevin.

I in fact did that for the laundry type sink I installed in my shop, but not as high as you would need. The idea was that I knew I’d be using it lots for cleaning and washing things in and I hated the height those leg sets they sell for them brings it at. I hate being slightly haunched over for extended periods and quite often when cleaning stuff in one of those laundry sinks, that’s exactly what ends up happening.

Indeed.

Thanks everyone. I guess Im poking a hole in the wall.

Eric can you raise the sink up to tie in above the concrete wall you want to drill a hole throw . Just make a small step or platform to use sink

Always willing to learn .

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Eric can you raise the sink up to tie in above the concrete wall you want to drill a hole throw . Just make a small step or platform to use sink

What a brilliant idea, wish I thought of that! 😕

Kevin.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Indeed.

Thanks everyone. I guess Im poking a hole in the wall.

too bad you aren’t closer or i’d say im coming over with the bosch 11264 and we can drill whatever sized hole you want.

In the end, I think we are just going to change the design to exclude the sink. It is becoming a bigger job than realized, and this is just one issue

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have a drain pump that hookS to my laundry sink. I have a switch to turn it on. I’m ok with it. I heard you can get a level sensor so when the water reaches a certain point it automatically comes on so you don’t have to use a switch.

In the end, I think we are just going to change the design to exclude the sink. It is becoming a bigger job than realized, and this is just one issue

It really isn’t that hard Eric . Don’t over think the project . If money is tight just drill the hole this month with the rentals costs . Next month do the rest of the hook up .

It really isn’t that hard Eric . Don’t over think the project . If money is tight just drill the hole this month with the rentals costs . Next month do the rest of the hook up .

Thats not the reason to change the plan/design.

The sink that was chosen won’t fit – missing an inch. The cabinet height will need to be custom (despite the ask being to go with standard kitchen height) because now it has to be flush with a counter over the washer and dryer, and the main drain has no accesses for a new line, so I would have to cut myself an access to it, cut it, and fernco in a Wye.

Or – I can just replace the old bar sink in the basement with a nice deep basin, and use the plumbing already there…. suddenly a saturday morning project instead of a hassle

Do you have any pictures for us @montreal_woodworks .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.583 seconds