dcsimg

Silica Dust Extraction Vacuums SHOOT OUT

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here is an interesting SDEV shoot out and they did a very thorough job at. The winner was surprising. The guy has 6 vacs that suck!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Funny thing is, they don’t do any actual silica extractor testing. A water test doesn’t necessarily tell how it does in fact perform in this regard. Especially in regards to autocleaning, or units that don’t have an autoclean feature they tested.

They do mention in their replies section that the reason they didn’t review any Festool extractors is because the Festool CTs are all non OSHA compliant. While I can’t refute that, I do find that odd especially with regard to the CT 36 AC which is specifically designed to be used with their Planex drywall sanders.

Here’s the Cop Tool written review….

http://www.coptool.com/2017-vacuum-comparison-test-osha-silica-table-1-compliant/#more-7733

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Funny thing is, they don’t do any actual silica extractor testing. A water test doesn’t necessarily tell how it does in fact perform in this regard. Especially in regards to autocleaning, or units that don’t have an autoclean feature they tested.

They do mention in their replies section that the reason they didn’t review any Festool extractors is because the Festool CTs are all non OSHA compliant. While I can’t refute that, I do find that odd especially with regard to the CT 36 AC which is specifically designed to be used with their Planex drywall sanders.

Here’s the Cop Tool written review….

http://www.coptool.com/2017-vacuum-comparison-test-osha-silica-table-1-compliant/#more-7733

There are a couple of Festool’s that have the auto filter clean but may do not. I always thought Festoon was a leader in HEPPA vacuums.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very interesting review, Thank you for posting Dirty.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They do mention in their replies section that the reason they didn’t review any Festool extractors is because the Festool CTs are all non OSHA compliant.

Well fessytool is a wood working company and not a concrete working company.

Dirty

Doobie

They do mention in their replies section that the reason they didn’t review any Festool extractors is because the Festool CTs are all non OSHA compliant.

Well fessytool is a wood working company and not a concrete working company.

One of my buddies who works on major construction like hospitals said when he saw my CT36AC vac he’d seen lots of the Planex and the Festool CT 36ACs on jobs to sand smooth concrete pours.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

lots of the Planex and the Festool CT 36ACs on jobs to sand smooth concrete pours.

s a n d i n g concrete

Dirty

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

lots of the Planex and the Festool CT 36ACs on jobs to sand smooth concrete pours.

s a n d i n g concrete

No freaking way…is this real?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

s a n d i n g concrete

Totally. He brought it up when he saw mine. Said he’s seen tons of them on sites for cleaning off what would be visibly finished concrete walls. I was surprised as well. I didn’t get into nitty gritty details with him as he’s not using it himself – he’s a plumbing/gas project manager – keep in mind, I gotta imagine that the concrete wasn’t fully cured yet and big chunks are removed via chisel and grinder and it’s only for final smoothing out.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

s a n d i n g concrete

Totally. He brought it up when he saw mine. Said he’s seen tons of them on sites for cleaning off what would be visible finished concrete walls. I was surprised as well. I didn’t get into nitty gritty details with him as he’s not using it himself – he’s a plumbing/gas project manager – keep in mind, I gotta imagine that the concrete wasn’t fully cured yet and big chunks are removed via chisels and it’s only for final smoothing out.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense then. If it’s visible, I suppose a smooth surface would be required.

I was picturing someone sanding a concrete slab with a drywall sander…

Jon P.
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, that shoot out sucked lol
    I’m not too surprised, Milwaukee have been putting out lots of good tools and accessories lately

To bad about the Makita, small little details could have made it even better,
    The cord wrap and the wheels not locking, plus to bad about the tipping.

Pretty good testing though.

Doobie

Like I said earlier, I didn’t feel it was a very thorough review for the fact there was zero actual silica dust extraction tests done of any kind. In fact, after having looked over the Cop Tool review on their website and poked around a bit on their website, I got this gut feeling they may not be necessarily unbiased. I’ve seen Cop Tool video reviews in the past every once in a while posted on the intermet, but frankly I don’t feel overly confident now for some reason about their thoroughness and objectivity. What do you guys think of them? I’m all ears.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think they are biased.. I’ve never seen a Milwaukee vac.

Dirty

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Like I said earlier, I didn’t feel it was a very thorough review for the fact there was zero actual silica dust extraction tests done of any kind. In fact, after having looked over the Cop Tool review on their website and poked around a bit on their website, I got this gut feeling they may not be necessarily unbiased. I’ve seen Cop Tool video reviews in the past every once in a while posted on the intermet, but frankly I don’t feel overly confident now for some reason about their thoroughness and objectivity. What do you guys think of them? I’m all ears.

I agree Kevin. If you go so far as to title the video “Silica …” then suck up some concrete dust damnit! The whole point to silica extraction is to suck up the dust and not blow it out the back of the vac, right? Seems pointless to do most of the other tests!

Same here. In fact, aside from my Bosch unit, I’ve only seen Festool extractors on site. Typically, the vacs I see are Ridgid or Shop Vac brand, which are clearly in a lower class than the Bosch or Festool.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@jponto07 really, we have been using for smaller Makita at the shop for a few years now, great little vacuum.
    As for the Milwaukee, they just came out with them not to long ago,

I do agree about at least doing something with the concrete or silica dust. But hey, looks like they do these testing in numerous tools and testing.
    Not always done how we would like, just look at the most recent sawzall shootouts.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve seen the Makita at the local lumber yard actually, but not in use anywhere. Its nice to hear that its a good vac! A bit expensive in comparison if I recall though.

Sadly, the majority of sites around here use a Shop Vac or equivalent (or nothing at all). Even the city employees and major roadwork contractors don’t capture dust as the cut and drill.

They are currently extending a major interstate literally through the city I live in (tons of modifying existing infrastructure in addition to new roads/ramps.) As they always do, I see them cutting up concrete they just poured to fix something/add a drain/whatever…and the only time I can recall seeing a vac during this process was a little hand held shop vac of about 3-4 gallon size and it was blowing out every micron of dust it sucked up! Given this, I think that I’m way ahead of the game with the Bosch!

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie

Neither have I.

As for the Milwaukee, they just came out with them not to long ago,

Now I’m even more inclined to think that they are shilling.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.373 seconds