dcsimg

Silica Dust Enforcement SetBack

This topic contains 32 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  utopia78 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Their poor employees pull their shirts over their mouth and nose when they are cutting

This is the norm here as well.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Dumb question, but does drywall dust fall in this category?

@brianpeters According to this list of 7 frequently asked questions, drywall dust will be regulated

http://news.nilfiskcfm.com/2016/08/silica-dust-glance-answers-7-faq-oshas-new-rule/

I am glad we have a dustless saw for drywall that we use when demoing and typically do not hang ot tape drywall on our jobs.

If drywall dust is in scope, maybe more dedicated sanders will hit the market.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

personaly I invest into proper dust collection for my tools. my health is more important to me than any other job. Even better when OSHA will enforce this.
    It’s a big investment for many companies but in the end, it keeps employee’s away from doctor visits, medications, other treatments, or even deaths.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

If drywall dust is in scope, maybe more dedicated sanders will hit the market.

Most sanders don’t have an enclosed motor housing so it would be a complete redesign for them.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

Their poor employees pull their shirts over their mouth and nose when they are cutting

This is the norm here as well.

we dont do it here for dust.. we do it because of certain co workers being regulars for wing night…. peeyoo…

as for the dust extraction. im curious as to if the all the tool companys might start bundling in the extractor attachments i with the corresponding tools, or have all the types of attachments as one bundle or even bundled in with the extractors so that you dont have to do a bunch of extra leg work to find the parts if one store is sold out of a specific attachment. on this note though,

where im in canada theres no full blown regulations in effect here yet atleast in my region. currently dust extractors are a specialty item so buying them in store can be a bit of a hunting process. lee valley has the festool models, prime fasteners DID have the 9 gallon bosch a couple years ago but i havent seen it on the floor the last few trips. with the increased demand / requirement for them, hopefully the big box stores jump on board and start to stock them be it bosch, makita or the newly announced milwaukee model

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

The only dust extractors that I ever see here are usually Hilti

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

as of right now the only silica dust regulations that i now of are that in general use you must wear a fully enclosed supplied air respirator

and when working in a LEEDS rated building you must use a extractor when drilling, cutting or grinding concrete or masonry

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Saw dust just as bad for your lungs

I didn’t know saw dust was just as bad. With over 30 years of cutting PT lumber I should not last long now.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I didn’t know saw dust was just as bad. With over 30 years of cutting PT lumber I should not last long now.

The trick is to sterilize your insides with alcohol 🙂

Doobie

The trick is to sterilize your insides with alcohol 🙂

Hey, that works for me! Lol!

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

The trick is to sterilize your insides with alcohol

stop buying expensive dust extractors and any other expensive DC accessories and sign up for a weekly delivery of booze. the long-awaited cure is here 😛 #joke 😛
    or just get a cheap craftsman from a garage sale LOL

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

With the residential underpinning and additions I have been working on lately, I see a great amount of care taken to collect the silica and other dust. Even though it’s not mandatory in Ontario we try and protect our lungs and the other trades around us to the best of our abilities. Even when just pulling nails out of the sub floor we have eye protection and hearing protection in. I’m getting use to this type of standard of protection for work and I like it.

A Working Pro since 2004

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.403 seconds