dcsimg

Siding nail guns

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes they do sell ring shanked nails for the coil nailers.

They sell all kinds of nails for siding guns. I have ss nails in mine now.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

SS nails would be a must for your climate Dirty. Nice to see they make them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

redwood
    Pro

Yes, but you do pay through the nose for them also.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well we use the HDG with the Hitachi gun for all the nails that are covered with trim like around the windows and on the corners. Only the field gets the SS nails.

Dirty

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

HDG are available on the shelf here…everything else is special order!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I picked up about 30,000 SS nails for the 30 – 34 degree framing gun a couple of months ago on an auction for less than 300 bucks. They are typically between 80 and 110 per thousand, I got them for about 10 bucks a thousand. Not sure what I will do with them yet, I may end up building a rental and use a wood foundation on it to save costs. It would be a good place to use the nails.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I can get almost anything out here and SS is very common to use so the nail shop stocks them.

Dirty

Wow that is a great price for SS, it is a pity I don’t live closer (or even in the same country) living on the east coast, I could find a few uses for some economical SS nails.

Will

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

unless were doing underlay for tile we pretty much only use ss for exterior work with our ring nailers

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I can get almost anything out here and SS is very common to use so the nail shop stocks them.

That’s just the difference in climate/environment I guess. Stainless isn’t super common here in Any application. Galvanized is the go to..and that’s really all that’s necessary unless the staining is unacceptable.

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s just the difference in climate/environment I guess. Stainless isn’t super common here in Any application. Galvanized is the go to..and that’s really all that’s necessary unless the staining is unacceptable.

Here where you can see the ocean the salt is so bed you must use SS on all the exposed nails and copper or SS flashing.

Dirty

I picked up about 30,000 SS nails for the 30 – 34 degree framing gun a couple of months ago on an auction for less than 300 bucks. They are typically between 80 and 110 per thousand, I got them for about 10 bucks a thousand. Not sure what I will do with them yet, I may end up building a rental and use a wood foundation on it to save costs. It would be a good place to use the nails.

Kurt@welkerhomes.com that would be a god use. I built a PWF under one of my rentals. It worked out well. I read and made sure all my details were perfect for it. It has been a bone dry basement.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Clev08
    Pro

I have only used hitachi siding nailers. A coworker has two that he has beat to hell. He pretty much throws all his tools in a trailer and doesn’t take care of them. One is a little temperamental but the other one works fine. If you take care of them you shouldn’t have many if any problems for a long time.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Kurt@welkerhomes.com that would be a god use. I built a PWF under one of my rentals. It worked out well. I read and made sure all my details were perfect for it. It has been a bone dry basement.

we have done a couple of PWF and had great results. As you said, you really need to pay attention to the details. There are a lot of PWF out there that were done poorly and a lot of corners were cut giving them a bad name. We have had to go in and repair a few of them, it just amazes me that the inspectors let them by with what they did. Unfortunately there are not a lot of them built. when we built the ones we did, I had to walk the inspectors through the pland and code book to show them what to look at and to show them that it was done right. Most of the guys that built them around here just laugh when they walk away and miss a bunch of things that are fairly important structurally to the integrity of the foundation. Those are the ones we fixed.

Doobie
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So I need to install a bunch of exterior grade 1/4 ” plywood that will be covered with vinyl.

Wondering if A harbor freight makes a siding gun even for just this job. A. framer will be too rough.
    Or B. A narrow crown stapler that could also punch up vinyl soffit. The thing is I don’t know if they make galvanized fasteners.

Thoughts?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So I need to install a bunch of exterior grade 1/4 ” plywood that will be covered with vinyl.

Wondering if A harbor freight makes a siding gun even for just this job. A. framer will be too rough.
    Or B. A narrow crown stapler that could also punch up vinyl soffit. The thing is I don’t know if they make galvanized fasteners.

Thoughts?

I certainly can’t recommend Harbor Freight…but a siding nailer would be the right tool to install the 1/4″ plywood.

As for the soffits, the 18ga narrow crown stapler isn’t the ideal tool, but I’m sure it would do the job if you get the depth settings figured out.

Jon P.
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have always hand nailed vinyl soffit but I Know guys use the narrow crown with success.

I’m dealing with a 300ft run here so time/money…..

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have always hand nailed vinyl soffit but I Know guys use the narrow crown with success.

I’m dealing with a 300ft run here so time/money…..

I have put up miles of vinyl but with a wide crown. Hitachi make a very good siding gun.

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have put up miles of aluminum soffit with the 18ga narrow crown stapler, never use vinyl soffit. I would guess it would work well as long as it is warm out, in the cold for us, it would just crack the soffit. Depth of drive would be important as you don’t punch through the soffit

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.702 seconds