dcsimg

Siding nail guns

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve got a potential fence job coming up that will involve assembling the fence from a pile of lumber…no pre made panels. As I’m not terribly interested in putting on each picket with screws, I want to pick up a siding nail gun.

The Hitachi, Bostitch and a cheapo Senco are the only local options, but there’s always Amazon. What do you guys use? Any features that are worth having?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I’ve used Hitachi siders with no issues.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve used Hitachi siders with no issues.

I love my Hitachi coil siding gun, It’s going in my van now with the SS nails. Oh the sawswatch is going in there too.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Third for the Hitachi

If it’s a fence you could get away with stick gun that shoots round heads . Instead of buying a coil gun for one job . Just my opinion . Most fences get painted so really can’t see the nails .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If it’s a fence you could get away with stick gun that shoots round heads . Instead of buying a coil gun for one job . Just my opinion . Most fences get painted so really can’t see the nails .

Hey man…talking a member out of buying a new tool is strictly prohibited! 🙂

I have a good framer that I could load with 2″ nails, but they would end up sticking out of the supporting rails if I countersink the nails more the 1/8″…and that’s bound to happen.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Hey man…talking a member out of buying a new tool is strictly prohibited! :)

I have a good framer that I could load with 2″ nails, but they would end up sticking out of the supporting rails if I countersink the nails more the 1/8″…and that’s bound to happen.

lol your right it should be a written rule on here .

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

using a siding nailer is definitely your best bet, i wouldnt use a framing gun for anything other than attaching the 2×4 rails. we have 4 hitachi siding nailers and 2 newer sencos. the hitachis are older and beat up but their easily my preference their smaller, lighter and much more comfortable

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

We have the Bostich siding coil nailer. It has installed quite a bit of cement fiber and cedar siding without issue. I know a lot of guys really like the Hitachi too.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

We have the Bostich siding coil nailer. It has installed quite a bit of cement fiber and cedar siding without issue. I know a lot of guys really like the Hitachi too.

Did you ever get certified from a cement siding company .

using a siding nailer is definitely your best bet, i wouldnt use a framing gun for anything other than attaching the 2×4 rails. we have 4 hitachi siding nailers and 2 newer sencos. the hitachis are older and beat up but their easily my preference their smaller, lighter and much more comfortable

I lay the boards ( 2×4 )on edge so length of nails doesn’t really effect it . One day i will pick up a siding nailer . The market was mostly vinyl siding or brick / stucco . Just few years people ask about cement siding .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I lay the boards ( 2×4 )on edge so length of nails doesn’t really effect it .

Why is that? Doesn’t the stringer sag when it’s installed on the flat? There certainly isn’t much bearing surface for the pickets that way.

Jon P.
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

I have Hitachi, Makita, and Senco siding nailers. I prefer the Hitachi and Makita’s as they are lighter. Siding nailers are much lighter then framing nailers, even fully loaded, so that’s the way I would go. Make sure you get hot-dipped galv. nails.

Regarding the rails, if the top rail is covering the post, it lies flat and the bottom rail is on edge. Unless it is a true good neighbor fence, then they are both flat and the kickboard protects against sag.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We have the Bostich siding coil nailer.

I love my Hitachi coil siding gun,

I do have a old Bostich siding coil gun too. A ols N85 I think I does shoot 12d nails but it’s a boat anchor.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We did a 600′ fence a few years ago with 4 x 4 posts and 2 x 4 rails and 5 / 8 x 6 ” dog eared pickets. The Hitachi sodi g coil mailer was key to kaking it go well. The Hitachi siding guns are the best iMO.. I think I have 3 x of them.

@Skillman I was a certified Certainteed installer years ago. Didn’t do anything for me ir the business. Now I just make sure to follow everything to a tee and put a copy of the instructions for that year in the job file.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Why is that? Doesn’t the stringer sag when it’s installed on the flat? There certainly isn’t much bearing surface for the pickets that way.

Top one is teed so in provides strength and nailing on both sides for fence board .!

@Skillman I was a certified Certainteed installer years ago. Didn’t do anything for me ir the business. Now I just make sure to follow everything to a tee and put a copy of the instructions for that year in the job file.

Keeping records is important with that stuff . I almost got the Hardi certificate about 4 years ago for a builder . But the development fail throw .

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

I have Hitachi, Makita, and Senco siding nailers. I prefer the Hitachi and Makita’s as they are lighter. Siding nailers are much lighter then framing nailers, even fully loaded, so that’s the way I would go. Make sure you get hot-dipped galv. nails.

Regarding the rails, if the top rail is covering the post, it lies flat and the bottom rail is on edge. Unless it is a true good neighbor fence, then they are both flat and the kickboard protects against sag.

when i do fences i put the 2×4. up on edge so there is more nailing surface and so you can crown the rail. these fit between the posts. then i cap the posts with a 2×6 which gives a reveal to the 4×4 post, if its a 6×6 post the top is then switched to a 2×8

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

redwood
    Pro

I was a certified Hardi contractor. I got a few jobs because of it, but mostly referrals from lumber yards.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

jponto07 wrote:
    Skillman wrote:
    Top one is teed so in provides strength and nailing on both sides for fence board .!

Well that changes things a bit…but I’d still need shorter nails than my framer shoots for the bottom rail. I’m sure I could find more uses for a siding gun.

Jon P.
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

Yes they do sell ring shanked nails for the coil nailers.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.706 seconds