dcsimg

Show Us Your Workshop

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I really need to get away from all the flex pipe I have all over the shop. Maybe this winter.

The lesser the flex pipe the better. That stuff can add up to 30% less suction if it has non smooth inner walls.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Have you made any of your own fence faces for it, or just using the ones that came with it?

It’s new to me, I still have to set it up and begin work with it. I’m sure I will be seeking help with it once I start working.

Making extra fence faces is a piece of cake. I made 4 different sets for specific bit sets, and one generic for other general routing tasks.

Just some Soft Maple cut to the height and width wanted, 45 degree bevel on the ends and a couple dados (one through) to mount them to the SH-5 and you are all set.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Have you made any of your own fence faces for it, or just using the ones that came with it?

It’s new to me, I still have to set it up and begin work with it. I’m sure I will be seeking help with it once I start working.

Making extra fence faces is a piece of cake. I made 4 different sets for specific bit sets, and one generic for other general routing tasks.

Just some Soft Maple cut to the height and width wanted, 45 degree bevel on the ends and a couple dados (one through) to mount them to the SH-5 and you are all set.

Looks pretty straightforward, Stan. I will be starting to build the stand in a couple of weeks. Once that is done I will be thinking about accessories. Fences are right at the top of the list, for sure.

I like your router stand with 2 machines mounted ready to go. How does the DC pickup from the fence integrate with the below table pickup?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Those fences look really nice Stan. Nice work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

MTRoads
    Pro

Looks pretty straightforward, Stan. I will be starting to build the stand in a couple of weeks. Once that is done I will be thinking about accessories. Fences are right at the top of the list, for sure.

I like your router stand with 2 machines mounted ready to go. How does the DC pickup from the fence integrate with the below table pickup?

Unfortunately – I no longer have that router table setup. But when it was in use, a ‘Y’ was put in the main trunk line about 3′ from the cabinet housing with a stepdown to hose sized to fit the fence.

I am a ‘chip-collection’ type rather than a ‘dust-collection’ type – so I was quite happy with the results. 🙂

Thanks theamcguy – I really like that fence. Very adjustable for different setups.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Hardest thing about making the fences…. is making a temporary table to route the dado’s for the mounting bolts. 🙂

Stan

Doobie

Hardest thing about making the fences…. is making a temporary table to route the dado’s for the mounting bolts. 🙂

I use my Festool 1400 router attached to a track rail for that. Makes it easy.

MTRoads
    Pro

I use my Festool 1400 router attached to a track rail for that. Makes it easy.

Of course. Many different ways to get that particular job completed. I was just going with the lowest common denominator where no additional items (such as the setup you mention) was available.

A stand-along router tabletop is not a bad idea in the shop anyways. I have two that can simply be clamped to sawhorses when needed. There are times when I have setups completed that I do not want to have to tear down for a single task in the middle of a project. That is when the simple tables above come into play.

I also have router boards and other jigs such as what you mentioned for one-off tasks also. 🙂

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here is an interesting video on a fold down out feed table for your table saw.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/g66UhNaxivo?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I watched that one on the weekend, Bill. She does some really good work. It’s about as solid a table as I have ever seen.

She has teamed up with Nick Ferry and Jay Bates for a couple of video sessions. A lot of fun to watch them together.

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

I would like to show you guys my workshop but I’m kinda ashamed now.
    I’ve seen really cool shops here.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/g66UhNaxivo?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I watched that one on the weekend, Bill. She does some really good work. It’s about as solid a table as I have ever seen.

She has teamed up with Nick Ferry and Jay Bates for a couple of video sessions. A lot of fun to watch them together.

yah i’ve been subscribed to her channel, she does some interesting things and now that she has lincoln behind her, we should see more welding work. I do like this outfeed table, i may have to build it for mine.

MTRoads
    Pro

Just one more teaser (that can also be read as I am reviewing the layout once again) of the shop plan.

Currently trying to work in the idea of the two loading doors being on one side of the shop – just don’t think the working layout is going to work for that, but loading doors on both ends would work out nicely. (i.e. lumber in one end – finished product out the other…..) 🙂

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Just one more teaser (that can also be read as I am reviewing the layout once again) of the shop plan.

Currently trying to work in the idea of the two loading doors being on one side of the shop – just don’t think the working layout is going to work for that, but loading doors on both ends would work out nicely. (i.e. lumber in one end – finished product out the other…..) 🙂

It is such a luxury to be able to plan a shop from the ground up. Loading doors at both ends is a great idea.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

It is such a luxury to be able to plan a shop from the ground up. Loading doors at both ends is a great idea.

@mtroads,
    your design looks nice and clean.
    I can only dream of a shop big enough and to have two loading doors is great.
    Some of my neighbours have have two doors on their garages and can drive a vehicle through into their backyard.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Currently trying to work in the idea of the two loading doors being on one side of the shop –

My thoughts on doors, they cut down on wall space. Try to combine doors if possible.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Currently trying to work in the idea of the two loading doors being on one side of the shop –

My thoughts on doors, they cut down on wall space. Try to combine doors if possible.

The ‘back’ set of doubles would be to exit the finishing room, which doesn’t need a lot of wall storage space so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Added a few windows and double door to the finishing room. Now that I have more ideas – I’ll have to do more layout work.

An exterior view just for posterity.

Attachments:

Stan

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I really need to get away from all the flex pipe I have all over the shop. Maybe this winter.

Flex pipe is great while you are setting up shop, deciding where everything is going and constantly making changes. Once you have settled on a layout, solid pipe really improves performance not to mention getting the mess off the floor. Good winter project.

I hope to be able to go solid pipe one day – at the moment I’m just pulling around a dust separator bucket on wheels hooked up to a shop vac. It works fine, but I have to unhook it every time I use a different t tool.

I love the idea of dry fitting everything as a way to keep the ability to change it as you need it.

@MTRoads nice looking shop – when are you building it?

Charlie

Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Added a few windows and double door to the finishing room. Now that I have more ideas – I’ll have to do more layout work.

An exterior view just for posterity.

@mtroads,
    It’s great that you have a vision of the big picture.
    It will be nice once you have the property to build your dream workshop.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 434 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.632 seconds