dcsimg

Show us your trusty SKILSAW circular saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

I know many of our members have owned or own a SKILSAW. The SKILSAW brand is famous for durability and power. And let’s not forget longevity. These These sultans of the sawdust have ruled the jobsite for as long as anyone can remember. So now it’s time to show them off. Submit your video and images of your SKILSAW collection in action. Who has the oldest running SKILSAW out of our members? It’s time to throw down. And even if your’s isn’t that old, show us how you use it on the jobsite. Their might be some SKILSAW swag for a few members who kick it up a notch with their video (hint hint).

I look forward to seeing what you all have in the shop.

I’ll get it started with @monman post on his new custom home project where he is using his 1940 or so SKILSAW worm drive to cut LVL (lminated veneer lumber).

Now let’s see what you got!

Cheers,

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here’s my new Sawsquach going through a 4×12.

Attachments:
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t have one yet, I’ve been meaning to look at getting a circular saw after seeing @utopia78‘s workflow. I find if I want a quick cut, i don’t have the tool for that application. While he was at my place making the forms, all he needed was his circular saw and he built up the form pretty fast.

I have a few around here, I don’t use much anymore since I have switched trades. Just being OCD here and I apologize for being picky, but there’s a difference between a circular saw and a worm drive.

1940’s is old. Way older than I have. Those gears sound really loose! I think mine are from the 90’s and I have a mag.

You guys at Bosch still have my worm drive I sent to Joe the Pro. Have you ever looked at it to find out what happened with it?

Mag going through 8/4 white birch like its nothing, then hanging out from a strip

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet!

Mine:

Sweet!

You may just own half the wormdrives in all of New Hampshire! Do you use them for anything in particular compared to the sidewinder in the pic?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Just being OCD here and I apologize for being picky, but there’s a difference between a circular saw and a worm drive.

Thank you for pointing that out.
    The circular saw or called the side winder is a lot different than the WORM DRIVE or inline saw.

I thought he was asking for in use pics?? I’ll get some of those soon.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

You have quite a collection there Dirty!

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You have quite a collection there Dirty!

I have a 6½” a 8¼” one with a 14″ chain bar on it. I have a dedicated hardie saw and dedicated real job saw and a 2 7¼ after that,,Oh and the new 10¼”

Just being OCD here and I apologize for being picky, but there’s a difference between a circular saw and a worm drive.

Thank you for pointing that out.
    The circular saw or called the side winder is a lot different than the WORM DRIVE or inline saw.

I thought he was asking for in use pics?? I’ll get some of those soon.

Very nice Dirty. Although I disagree with you on the naming – lots of ways to say the same thing.

A Wormdrive is more accurately called an Inline-Style, Worm-drive motor, Circular Saw

A sidewinder is a Side motor (or sidewinder) style body, direct drive motor, circular saw

And there are other varieties, such as the Inline Hypoid drive circular saw.

But there is nothing wrong with calling a wormdrive a circular. It is one after all

Maybe its a regional thing though. Hell, in the UK, a TS is sometimes called a Bench Circular Saw.

I tend to use sidewinder and wormdrive as the words to clarify which of my circular saws I am using, but to each his own.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I bought one this year for my shop build. I really like it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Holy circ saw, that sure is a beast,

The other pictures of your collection is incredible Dirty.

@Sparky603 nice group picture, good collection

I am definitely not doing the work you guys do, I have 2 18 volt circular saws and an old corded B&D

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Here is a video of my Skilsaw Sawsquatch cutting a treated 6×6.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Well it ain’t much but here’s my baby breaking up an old table for my shop wall expansion….

Here is a video of my Skilsaw Sawsquatch cutting a treated 6×6.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/h6xaWyk1bQY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That thing is a freakin’ beast!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Grabbed a quick picture of the saws we have on site atm. We use them mostly for cutting concrete forms/braces.

A Working Pro since 2004

redwood
    Pro

I’ve had skil wormdrives for over 40 years, but they have moved on. I can’t say that I ever burned one out though. Usually the peripherals got just beat up and I passed them on so I could get a newer one.

Here is my latest in action.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Very nice Dirty. Although I disagree with you on the naming – lots of ways to say the same thing.

Oh you don’t disagree with me…. you disagree with me Kent, calidecks and so many more that use this tool for a living and come from a framing back ground.
    When the term circular saw is used the first thing to come to mind is the blade on the right side on the saw.
    When the term worm drive is use we are talking about the blade on the left side of the saw.

Oh you don’t disagree with me…. you disagree with me Kent, calidecks and so many more that use this tool for a living and come from a framing back ground.

Didn’t realize that mastering the use of something (which I am certain you did even if I have never seen your work in person) makes you the authority on what it is called, even over the guys who build and sell it

Most pros I know call all circular saws Skilsaws, doesn’t make them Skilsaw/Skil branded ones does it? Nicknames are not right or wrong, they are just shorthand

As for what I do for a living, I have been very clear. I work as an IT consultant. Worked on the ecommerce side for a lot of tool companies too, including Stanley/B&D. What the marketing team says and what the product team says is not always what the end user says.

When the brand (which is ultimately what Jim represents) says Circular saw, they are not wrong. Its their product.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.453 seconds