dcsimg

Shop Dedicated Drill Storage and Battery Charging Stations.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Now that there are Lithium batteries that hold a charge well, the manufacturers could build chargers that turn themselves off completely when a battery is fully charged. Include a single button to manually restart it if it’s been sitting for a while, or restart when a battery is placed in it.

That would be ideal. Why don’t they do this?

Otherwise I like the idea of a switch per charger, but have never seen a power bar set up that way.

Neither have I. That’s why I gured I would more or less build my own.

redwood
    Pro

My charging station, if you look next to the blue filing cabinet, there is a shelf with all the chargers plugged into a power strip. I’ll try to get a closeup tomorrow.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

At our shop we have 2 impacts and a drill hanging at our workbench. We keep a battery plugged in all the time. You can see them on the right.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Two reasons I can think of. Lithium batteries haven’t been around all that long and the focus has been on getting power density (run time per volume) up. And the cost/waste of phantom power draw has not been on people’s minds that long either – still novel to see items like power bars with timers or the ones for A/V setups where turning off the device plugged into the master receptacle turns off the power to the rest of the plugged in devices.
    I already have receptacles and switches to build a power station for all my electronic device chargers: phone, tablet, MP3 player, camera, etc. Too many other projects in the queue…

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

i prefer the milwaukee before husky and/or dewalt.
    last time i was at HD i checked them all out and red team is definitely a winner in tool boxes.

if you dont like the color. just paint it blue 😛

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been wanting to build a mobile charger caddy for my van with 5 chargers in it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve been wanting to build a mobile charger caddy for my van with 5 chargers in it.

That would be nice. You could power it with an invertor and charge to and from the job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well if you get all the wireless charging ones you don’t even really need a station just have them nearby.

Doobie

Does anybody know the implications of lithium batteries exposed to freezing temps?

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Does anybody know the implications of lithium batteries exposed to freezing temps?

I know that I no longer leave my batteries in the bed of my truck in the winter time. I keep them all in the truck which is parked in a insulated garage. A couple years ago when my batteries were kept in my truck and the truck was left outside I had some Milwaukee batteries that were less than a year old really go to junk.
    I am not sure of the technical aspects of it, but I suspect the cold is what wrecked those batteries. I take no chances anymore

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

Doobie

I know that I no longer leave my batteries in the bed of my truck in the winter time. I keep them all in the truck which is parked in a insulated garage. A couple years ago when my batteries were kept in my truck and the truck was left outside I had some Milwaukee batteries that were less than a year old really go to junk.
    I am not sure of the technical aspects of it, but I suspect the cold is what wrecked those batteries. I take no chances anymore

I think I’ll take that as a good caution and bring them inside overnite. It was just temporary anyways. Been leaving them outside for the last week or so. Just got tired of bringing them in every nite after a long day working.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

you should definitely bring them in the house where the temp doesnt drop down so much like outside.
    my garage is not insulated really well and it doesnt get as cold as where you live but when i dont use my tools for couple days or so. i bring them inside in the house. i put them all in a lboxx and throw the box in my office.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Couple answers here:

NiCad (Nickel-Cadmium) batteries have a “memory”. They should be discharged completely before charging, or eventually, they won’t hold (much of) a charge.

NiMH (Nickel-Metal-Hydride) did not have this problem nealy as bad. The downside to these is, they self-discharge in about 2 months.

LI (Lithium-Ion) or the new LiFE (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) do not have any memory issue at all. And most, if not all, LI chargers I have seen, will shut off when the battery is full.

The downside to Lithium batteries is, they are worthless in the cold. And by cold I mean 30-40 degrees. It doesn’t have to be well below freezing for them to shut down.

And yes, with LI batteries, it is best not to deplete them entirely.

But the worst thing for a battery is, to store it for long periods in a discharged state. Keep ’em full.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I haven’t noticed any warnings about storing Lithium batteries in cold temperatures, but they are definitely not rated for use below freezing. Keep them inside and they will be ready to use right away, sitting in a cold truck will require them to warm up to perform properly.

Doobie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I brought them into the house tonite. Had a feeling it was something I shouldn’t be doing.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Couple answers here:

NiCad (Nickel-Cadmium) batteries have a “memory”. They should be discharged completely before charging, or eventually, they won’t hold (much of) a charge.

NiMH (Nickel-Metal-Hydride) did not have this problem nealy as bad. The downside to these is, they self-discharge in about 2 months.

LI (Lithium-Ion) or the new LiFE (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) do not have any memory issue at all. And most, if not all, LI chargers I have seen, will shut off when the battery is cold.

The downside to Lithium batteries is, they are worthless in the cold. And by cold I mean 30-40 degrees. It doesn’t have to be well below freezing for them to shut down.

But the worst thing for a battery is, to store it for long periods in a discharged state. Keep ’em full.

Delta

well thanks, that explains alot, i guess i’ll have to keep my tools inside than. I was thinking of keeping a few in the truck for just incases.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’m looking into getting one of these chargers, having multiple chargers just takes up way too much room.

View post on imgur.com

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

One thing I have seen to keep a drill in a handy spot is a short length of PVC or ABS pipe screwed into the underside of a shelf with a slot cut in it for the handle so it slides into the pipe.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Couple answers here:

LI (Lithium-Ion) or the new LiFE (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) do not have any memory issue at all. And most, if not all, LI chargers I have seen, will shut off when the battery is cold.

Delta

Guess I will find a new place to store mine. Thanks for that info.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

KenW
    Pro

Learn something new around here quite often I do. The new phones have smart charging systems in them which charges to full then quit accepting charge. My laptop is the same. Do the new cordless tool chargers do the same? IDK, so most time I keep things on a timer. Charge things a couple hours a day.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.502 seconds