dcsimg

Shop Dedicated Drill Storage and Battery Charging Stations.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I’ve bought quite a few Bosch cordless drills in the past six months all the while replacing most of my older NiCad drills and my old setup for storing them and the battery chargers is woefully inadequate. I need to build something new sometime this winter so I want to get some ideas flowing in anticipation of doing something about that.

One of my concerns is that in the owners manual for the chargers, it says one should turn off the charger when not in prolonged use. I have also noticed that when they are left plugged in, whether there is a battery charging in them or not, they make a low level hissing sound. My old NiCad chargers did not have this characteristic.

This kinda leads me to believe that in leaving them plugged in, it is apt to shorten the lifespan of the chargers and since I believe I would keep the current little army of drills I’ve just bought for many years, I want to implement either some kind of timer switch for the chargers or that they are all on seperate on/off switches rather than having to unplug the chargers all the time when not in use. I have a bunch of old switches I could use to do this I saved from when I upgraded our house wall switches and receptacles, so I might as well use them.

I also have heard that one should not leave a battery in a charger once charged for extended periods of time as there are dangerous risks associated with this with the batteries catching fire. Not sure if that’s true though.

Since I use my drills around the house for renos, I don’t want them in L-Boxxes and such. I tend to just grab the ones I need along with other tools in carry totes for when I’m not working in the shop itself.

I’ve got 8 Bosch drills and two older Ridgids with the LSA that I’m looking to have at this drill/battery charging station, as well I have 6 chargers to deal with. I’d like to see ideas on setups for this whether they be your own, or ones found on the internet.

Doobie

OK….guess nobody has anything has anything to show…..as Gilda Radner used to say so well,..”Never mind”.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NiCads vs LI. Nicads started losing their charge as soon as they come off the charger whether they are being used or not. LI can hold a charge for 3 years. For long term storage 40% charged yields the longest storage time, that is why new LI batteries do not come fully charged. I don’t have a dedicated charging station per se but do keep chargers plugged in around the shop for convenience.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Lol I’ve been debating on a charging area but as of right now I don’t have anything nor do I have anything to show. I am trying to figure out how to arrange my shop and I need space to build a router table. I am trying to figure out where I can put a dedicated charging station unless I buy a new tool box that has those powered drawers where I can stick all my batteries in and have them charge. Right now my wife is going to kill me as I charge my batteries in the kitchen hahahah

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

It would be pretty simple to install a 4 or 5 gang box, and a switch to control each receptacle. You can even split the receptacles, so each switch only controls one half of each receptacle. Then you’d only need a 3 gang box. Then just plug each charger into it’s respective receptacle, and flip the switch when you want to charge.

You could install this right above a small shelf, just large enough to hold the chargers.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

I have not made mine yet , i will be using the rubber made wire rack system , with the angled plastic legs they use for the shoe racks , this way the chargers will be angled down a slight bit, i will also use a tie rap to keep the charger in place, that’s what i will be starting soon, but any other good ideas would be great

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I have the same problems in my garage with chargers and batteries. Now that I am running Milwaukee and Bosch battery systems it has become even worse.
    Everytime I go to Home Depot I drool over this toolbox
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/hand-tools/storage/48-22-8500

I am saving my pennies to hopefully buy it soon. I need better tool storage in the garage as the peg board with hooks is starting to drive me nuts.

The built in power strip and a dedicated space for chargers and batteries is really appealing to me.
    Scroll through the pictures and you can see there are two different areas for chargers and batteries. Even though it is Milwaukee brand it seems like any charger would work. I will look into it more.

Is it wrong to store Bosch tools in a Milwaukee box?:)

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

Anonymous
    Inactive

No it’s not wrong to store Bosch tools in a Milwaukee box, At least until Bosch comes out with one. Then you MUST replace it LOL, I do like that Milwaukee cabinet.

Y’all might consider using a surge protector power strip to plug in all the chargers, They have a switch on them to easily shut down all the receptacles. Plus the built-in surge protector thing isn’t a bad idea anyway, I think that’d be a lot easier than wiring up a bunch of receptacles with a switch to each one etc…..

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

No it’s not wrong to store Bosch tools in a Milwaukee box, At least until Bosch comes out with one. Then you MUST replace it LOL, I do like that Milwaukee cabinet.

Y’all might consider using a surge protector power strip to plug in all the chargers, They have a switch on them to easily shut down all the receptacles. Plus the built-in surge protector thing isn’t a bad idea anyway, I think that’d be a lot easier than wiring up a bunch of receptacles with a switch to each one etc…..

Next time you go to a Home Depot or somewhere with the cabinet, check it out in person. It is built really well.

I do use the power strip, my problems is the chargers all over the work bench

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I just leave them all plugged in and on the charger. I hear the hum as well. I had thought about installing a switch on the wall for the plug but I would forget to turn it on or off.

I also thought about the power bar. That’s a better idea. Maybe with a timer?

Is it really that big of deal though. I know they say don’t do it, but they also say don’t use my TS with that goofy split guard…

BTW my makita service dept told me it isn’t the charger or the charge time or leaving bats on the charger that’s the killer. It’s heat/cold and draining them to the max. Keep them cool and as soon as they start to slow down, get them off the tool and recharge.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

BTW my makita service dept told me it isn’t the charger or the charge time or leaving bats on the charger that’s the killer. It’s heat/cold and draining them to the max. Keep them cool and as soon as they start to slow down, get them off the tool and recharge.

That sounds like pretty good advice. I know I have been told about that, too.

I am thinking about a french cleat module for cordless tools, chargers and batteries but that LBoxx is just so handy.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

yellaD
    Pro

That sounds like pretty good advice. I know I have been told about that, too.

I am thinking about a french cleat module for cordless tools, chargers and batteries but that LBoxx is just so handy.

I thought it was good to drain completely, I have no proof though…I guess I’m wrong.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have heard of a few stories where leaving the battery and charger plugged in for long periods of time can cause a fire . There was a guy on another site who almost lost his entire garage from leaving his battery and charger on all the time.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Now that there are Lithium batteries that hold a charge well, the manufacturers could build chargers that turn themselves off completely when a battery is fully charged. Include a single button to manually restart it if it’s been sitting for a while, or restart when a battery is placed in it.
    Otherwise I like the idea of a switch per charger, but have never seen a power bar set up that way.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

To tell you the truth, I have never noticed an issue with this. I rarely leave them on there more than just overnight though. As for the fire issue, don’t let my wife hear that one. She insists on unplugging the toaster after each use.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I’m not real sure why one would have to have all the batteries charged at all times. Maybe if you have a drill in each hand and use them 24 hours a day. I charge when I need them. It doesn’t take that long to charge and if I’m going to be using them a lot I pop one on the charger while using the other one. I’m not sure but I think charging them all the time is worse than charging occasionally .

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i dont realy have a dedicated charging station per say.. i do have multiple chargers however.. i keep one makita 18 v charger and two milwaukee 12v chargers at home so that when theres times when power is at a minimum or were running off a generator i can charge all my batteries at home that night and be able to go through the day without charging

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

i dont realy have a dedicated charging station per say.. i do have multiple chargers however.. i keep one makita 18 v charger and two milwaukee 12v chargers at home so that when theres times when power is at a minimum or were running off a generator i can charge all my batteries at home that night and be able to go through the day without charging

I am pretty much the same way. If I kill a battery during the day, it goes on my dash. When I get home, it goes from dash to charger. I can see the chargers blinking as I get into my van in the morning.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Before bringing my shop to my garage I had a small shelf with a my chargers mounted on it. They were plugged into a surge protector that I switched off when not in use.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Here are mine. One set on the slow charger is in the cupboard. The other is a fast charger in the top of a 3D also always plugged in. My biggest pet peeve is not having batteries charged, it’s a big reason I went with the bosch bats with the fuel gauge. You always know what state they are in…

I really like the 3D for drill/impact storage as well.

IMG_3157 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3158 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.751 seconds