dcsimg

shop built Jigs and templates

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Both jigs and template help to make work easier and more productive. What are your most used? Share some of your newest ones you have built

oh and before you jump me yes there are other threads of similar discussion but they were more about store bought jigs or just for the router etc. This one is for those you build for any and all use

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Most of mine are just router jigs. I do have sleds for the table saw that I made but they don’t get used a ton either.

I would like to make some jigs for the Domino to hold smaller pieces and do miters etc. it would make things go faster.

Oh, I guess I have lots of story board (I think that’s the fancy name for them) for tool set up. I guess those count.

I am very interested to see what others use the most.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I make a lot of small jigs for misc. projects. nothing special, just whatever it takes to make a small project go smoother.

KenW
    Pro

I made some templates for the shaper heads at one shop. Was easier to make the templates then constantly adjusting the machine up and down with trial and error to get it all lined up. Otherwise I haven’t myself made any.

I’ve really never built shop jigs . Don’t do a lot of woodworking projects . Most jigs Ive bought never made .

Always willing to learn .

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I try to build a jig for anything that will need to be repeated. For example for my birdhouses/ feeders/

This is designed to run on my table saw along the fence. In picture 2 imagine that no cuts have been made.

This allows me to make multiples fast without having to change the tool setup

EDIT : actually picture one is supposed to be picture 3

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I like making jigs. If executed properly they make your life easier.

Recently I’ve made a crosscut sled for my table saw, a couple of router circle cutting jigs, a shim cutting/taper jig for the table saw, and I just finished a mini out feed roller stand for my belt sander jig.

I use stop blocks on all of my tools when the occasion arises… I guess that’s about as simple as a jig can get.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I actually like making jigs as well. They take a lot of time and precision. I do find I end up making two and some time three.

Have you ever found you need the jig to make the jig? That was def the case with some of my router jigs.

Brad T

staker
    Pro

I made a flying dutchman (table saw sled) and an arm shaping jig for chairs.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jon those are some nice examples of some very fine work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have lots of different jigs that I have made for building birdhouses .They sure save me a lot of time .

Recently I’ve made a crosscut sled for my table saw, a couple of router circle cutting jigs, a shim cutting/taper jig for the table saw, and I just finished a mini out feed roller stand for my belt sander jig.

I use stop blocks on all of my tools when the occasion arises… I guess that’s about as simple as a jig can get.

@jponto07
    thanks for posting the sled pic. I never thought of doing one for my DW745, for some reason I thought the saw was too small. That’s an awesome idea that is going to find a place in my shop.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

a good sled is one that everyone should make for their saw. Woodsmith has so many jigs i want to make and try

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@jponto07 thanks for posting the sled pic. I never thought of doing one for my DW745, for some reason I thought the saw was too small. That’s an awesome idea that is going to find a place in my shop.

One of the motivating factors to make the sled was that it could effectively make the table larger.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

@jponto07 – I like the small sled. I almost always use a sled and realized I was horsing around a big sled on small workpieces. Built a medium and small one last year and now grab what best fits the piece.

a good sled is one that everyone should make for their saw. Woodsmith has so many jigs i want to make and try

I have a whole folder of jigs I want to and am going to make. I have made some hole cutting jigs, a jig for holding a template and wood for the router table and a small crosscut sled. Going to build a big one next.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

You will have to show us some of those jigs John.

I typically make jigs for complex cuts where i am looking for consistency often ill rough it out with a jigsaw and use my jig and clean it up with a router. I made some pretty cool ones recently, ill have to get some pictures later this week.

Doobie

One thing I do NOT like about jigs I make is trying to store them all. I hate destroying something I may need one day again, and some jigs just took too much time and effort to just toss once no longer needed.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

One thing I do NOT like about jigs I make is trying to store them all. I hate destroying something I may need one day again, and some jigs just took too much time and effort to just toss once no longer needed.

Isn’t that the truth. And the instant you chuck it, you know you’re going to get a job that needs it. I have rafters full of those kind of things!

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.595 seconds