dcsimg

Shingles

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I am on the verge of doing my roof but I have not decided on a shingle brand. I was wondering what is a good brand of shingle or are there any brands you guys recommend staying away from. As always I appreciate the good advice.

Thanks

Mark

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I am partial to Certainteed shingles but Owens Corning (sold at Lowe’s) is a very close second. GAF (sold at Home Depot) is also a good brand.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If this is your forever home, have you given thought to those steel roofs where you never have to replace them ever again?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Timberline makes a good shingle. I think if you stay with most any name brand your ok. I personally think the architectural shingles are easier to put on and less waste. I have used Tamco shingles and they were ok.
    Steel roofs are really nice too if you like that look. Don’t forget the ice guard as well.

If this is your forever home, have you given thought to those steel roofs where you never have to replace them ever again?

Never realized how many variables were involved with the types of material on a metal roof. Tree split and hit our house last year. We had slate and it took a pretty rough beating in several areas. Had some Amish friends of ours put steel on. Two story farm house, looks great, and I don’t plan on doing anything else to that roof for quite awhile, if ever.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I just talked to my son and all he uses now is GAF Timberline

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

They are all pretty equal to me. I install Owens Corning, Tamko, Gaf,certinteed, pinnacle, Iko, others too. Each had problems here and there through the years. Nothing to bad but….

Oc Tamko and Gaf were the big 3 here.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Had the roof redone with IKO shingles 10 years ago. During eaves trough cleaning this spring I discovered that the south exposure is losing granules and curling so bad in places that replacement will be necessary soon.
    10 years ago metal shingles were new enough that I wasn’t confident in their longevity. A roof done with them down the block same year as my roof looks like new. My neighbor did his roof with metal shingles last month because he was tired of replacing “25” year asphalt shingles every 12 or so years. I’m feeling the same.
    So my recommendation is check into them. Haven’t started research yet so if anyone can recommend brands that would be helpful.

Certainteed or Owens Corning. IKO or Atlas are junk.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think you are going to find there are a inch of opinions about shingles…look for a long warranty, as that generally implies a higher quality product. I’m not a roofer, but GAF Timberline shingles are all I’ve used on the last few projects I’ve done and they still look great 5 years later. Do yourself a favor and make sure he roof is vented adequately. A poorly vented roof leads to premature shingle failure.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Certainteed or Owens Corning. IKO or Atlas are junk.

I have never used IKO but Atlas are garbage.

Do yourself a favor and make sure he roof is vented adequately. A poorly vented roof leads to premature shingle failure.

Proper venting one of the most important, and most overlooked, part of a new roof.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Never realized how many variables were involved with the types of material on a metal roof. Tree split and hit our house last year. We had slate and it took a pretty rough beating in several areas. Had some Amish friends of ours put steel on. Two story farm house, looks great, and I don’t plan on doing anything else to that roof for quite awhile, if ever.

I am having that same debate right now, either go all steel or just your regular shingle. I haven’t decided yet.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I am having that same debate right now, either go all steel or just your regular shingle. I haven’t decided yet.

I have steel on my house and it holds up very well being in a windy region .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I was brought up in a home that was built in the 1880’s and had a slate shingle roof. My parents moved out of that home in early 2000’s and that roof never needed any repairs.
    The next time I have to replace my shingles, I might just go with metal shingles, quite a few homes in my area are starting with them.

I have 25 yr IKO on my home and garage and as mentioned the longevity of the shingles also depends on how well your attic vents out air. Next for my roof is a ridge vent. I think that will allow for more venting than just having the 5 little vents that are there now.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Thanks for all the feedback. I spent yesterday doing some more homework and I believe we are going to go with the GAF by Timberline. I few people I spoke to (and I believe it was mentioned in here) was that these days there is not really much difference in the quality of shingles.

Thanks again

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I got here late. I would have been somebody who also voted for steel roof. One thing I didn’t see mentioned in any of the comments was to be sure and buy shingles made for your market area. Evidently shingles are made with different cold and heat tolerances you get one that’s not made specifically for your area you can have problems. It happened to a guy here locally who bought some shingles from a different region cheap cheap on one of the websites. It cost him more than he saved.

staker
    Pro

I have hidden fastener steel roof panels from Ideal roofing and really like it.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I just reroofed mine with Owens Corning. Looks really nice and the quality looked pretty good to me.

My neighbour just did his house with GAF shingles which are made to look like cedar shakes. In my opinion they look really good. Its also kind of nice to see shingle companies do something to dress up shingles as opposed to the tradional style shingle.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was brought up in a home that was built in the 1880’s and had a slate shingle roof. My parents moved out of that home in early 2000’s and that roof never needed any repairs.
    The next time I have to replace my shingles, I might just go with metal shingles, quite a few homes in my area are starting with them.

I have 25 yr IKO on my home and garage and as mentioned the longevity of the shingles also depends on how well your attic vents out air. Next for my roof is a ridge vent. I think that will allow for more venting than just having the 5 little vents that are there now.

How hard is it to do metal shingles? I think i’ve still got a few years till my shingles go. Depending on cost and whatnot I’ll figure it out after the porch.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.488 seconds