dcsimg

Sharpening

This topic contains 151 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  Siberian 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Author

If you’re looking for a wet sharpener, I’d go with the Craftex over the CT model. Far superior and it’s the same as the one that Grizzly sells in the USA.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/grinder-10in-wet-bench-csa.html

For your twist drills, just stick to the bench grinder and do them by hand. The more you do it, the easier it will get.

Will be interested to hear how it works for you. I’ve been undecided on buying a multi purpose sharpener for a while, even had one in my hand in canadian tire when they were on sale, but then seen a forstner bit set on an even better sale, bought the bits instead!

Probably a good thing, the CT sharpener looks pretty badly made and the wheel is tiny.

They do have this bigger maximum sharpener that’s a copy of Tormek, but probably won’t work for anything carbide.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

For your twist drills, just stick to the bench grinder and do them by hand. The more you do it, the easier it will get.

When you do body work, you get good at sharpening drill bits by hand. You do them on the DA sander. You are always breaking 1/8″ drill bits. They sell double ended ones so you can keep drilling. The thing I like about the drill doctor is that it can set the different point angles depending on the materials. By eye I can get it to work, but can’t tell the difference between 117° and 135°. So I use the DD when I have the time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think that the DD definitely has its place, and as you said, you’ve found that it’s beneficial for you with regards to setting your different angles. I suppose that as we get older and the eyes start to get wonky, these would be a godsend, because we’d probably have trouble seeing the points on the smaller drills.

I’m glad I was taught that skill at an early age ( my Dad taught me even before I started my apprenticeship), because it never leaves you.

When you do body work, you get good at sharpening drill bits by hand. You do them on the DA sander. You are always breaking 1/8″ drill bits. They sell double ended ones so you can keep drilling. The thing I like about the drill doctor is that it can set the different point angles depending on the materials. By eye I can get it to work, but can’t tell the difference between 117° and 135°. So I use the DD when I have the time.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

I have the drill doctor and have not had really any luck with it. I don’t find it actually sharpens the bit, unless I am using it wrong. Generally I am not a fan of it and you gotta use it with HSS steel as everything else is too hard.

The trick is in properly setting a drill bit in DD’s chuck. Not sure which model do you have. Perhaps this would be somewhat helpful:

http://www.drilldoctor.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/o/p/opsmanual_500_750_1.pdf

Also, make sure the chuck is clean and its jaws are aligned and straight.
    Many DDs can sharpen masonry bits as well, you need to align them differently.

BryanT

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have the drill doctor and have not had really any luck with it. I don’t find it actually sharpens the bit, unless I am using it wrong. Generally I am not a fan of it and you gotta use it with HSS steel as everything else is too hard.

The trick is in properly setting a drill bit in DD’s chuck. Not sure which model do you have. Perhaps this would be somewhat helpful:

http://www.drilldoctor.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/o/p/opsmanual_500_750_1.pdf

And you know this how?? You have said in the past you don’t have a DD!

OK, I do throw away dull/broken drill bits and utility blades as of now. However, I do think that getting something like Drill Doctor will be useful and cost efficient.

No, I am not a contractor, I am a DIYer. Have not done any significant home renovations thus far. Have not done any wood carving too.

I do not sharpen my dull razor blades either, LOL.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

OK, I do throw away dull/broken drill bits and utility blades as of now. However, I do think that getting something like Drill Doctor will be useful and cost efficient.

No, I am not a contractor, I am a DIYer. Have not done any significant home renovations thus far. Have not done any wood carving too.

I do not sharpen my dull razor blades either, LOL.

Does he have a drill, either?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You have said in the past you don’t have a DD!

Does he have a drill, either?

@bryant
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/jukeox-version-4-0/page/37/#post-362396

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Trust me I’ve followed that and it doesn’t sharpen any. Mind you I don’t have any more HSS drill bits and you can’t sharpen the TI or other specially hardened ones anyways.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Trust me I’ve followed that and it doesn’t sharpen any. Mind you I don’t have any more HSS drill bits and you can’t sharpen the TI or other specially hardened ones anyways.

As far as I know, TI drill bits are regular HSS bits covered by that golden stuff. I believe they can be sharpened on DD, but you will no longer have that golden coating on cutting edges. Can you describe further what is going on with your DD? Is diamond wheel worn badly?
    Which model do you have? It took me couple of hours and some trial and error to figure out how to work this thing. Everything is good now, I have sharpened about 10 drill bits already.

@ronw, @maukarunner
    I do have a Drill Doctor now. Got it last Friday from Craigslist. Not a bad deal for $60. Mine is this one:
    http://www.drilldoctor.com/drill-doctor-classic-model-750.html

BryanT

Congrats on your new purchase @bryant – perhaps you might do a little video review on your new acquisition and I’m sure that, by seeing how you sharpen your drills, that might help @r-ice figure out where perhaps he is going wrong.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Congrats on your new purchase @bryant – perhaps you might do a little video review on your new acquisition and I’m sure that, by seeing how you sharpen your drills, that might help @r-ice figure out where perhaps he is going wrong.

Thank you @geordie99! I’ll try to put something together over this weekend. I am not sure if r-ice has the same or similar model. There are about 10 different DD models, and each has its own quirks. I followed the instructions and watched a couple of youtube videos about my model of DD. Plus some trial and error, as always.

BryanT

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Or any experiance with anything that has to deal with tools other than a screwdriver? Now he has a Drill Doctor and is sharpening bits? I thought the only tool he had and used was a computer unless somone leaves a screw driver at work for him to remove one of those pannels. I’m confused now.

BOT: Since finally have a bench grinder I’m going to try and sharpen some bits. The delta that I picked up has a grove in one of the tool rests that I think is for the sharpening of drill bits. Glad this thread popped back up. Over the last couple of days I have been digging out bits that need some touch up.

@bryant – It’s a great way to show us the model that you have, and to see it in action. Hope you aren’t camera shy…………..

@svensshutters – You picked up a nice grinder there and I think you’ll be more than happy with it. The Delta’s are pretty solid.

I’m assuming that you have, but I’m not entirely sure if you’ve ever sharpened by hand before. It’s not as difficult as it’s made out to be. Once you establish your cutting edges at the correct angle, just make sure you grind the relief for clearance and you’re good to go. Follow the grind that is already in place, and you can’t go wrong.

Keep a water trough handy and make sure to keep the drill cool, so as not to lose the temper on the edge. You’ll get the feel for the amount of pressure to use over time. It’s all about finesse.

Let us know how you make out.

Or any experiance with anything that has to deal with tools other than a screwdriver? Now he has a Drill Doctor and is sharpening bits? I thought the only tool he had and used was a computer unless somone leaves a screw driver at work for him to remove one of those pannels. I’m confused now.

BOT: Since finally have a bench grinder I’m going to try and sharpen some bits. The delta that I picked up has a grove in one of the tool rests that I think is for the sharpening of drill bits. Glad this thread popped back up. Over the last couple of days I have been digging out bits that need some touch up.

Thank you @geordie99! I’ll try to put something together over this weekend. I am not sure if r-ice has the same or similar model. There are about 10 different DD models, and each has its own quirks. I followed the instructions and watched a couple of youtube videos about my model of DD. Plus some trial and error, as always.

Right on! Can’t wait until we see the video and how to use the Drill Doctor.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I never used one of those grooves to sharpen a bit, but I would think it helps keep whatever angle the groove is on the bit as long as the rest is set to the right angle and the cutting edge is level and parallel to the wheel. I like to use a side to side motion to establish new/sharp edges then I do the back clearance… so the grooved rest is useless to me. One thing to keep in mind is, you’re sharpening, not grinding, so use a light touch and as mentioned, keep dunking the bit to keep it cool. I suggest you start with a larger bit to get the hang of it

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, way back years ago, oh say 26 years approximately, when I started in the airframe fitter department, we were taught how to sharpen drill bits on the bench grinder, times have changed, now just go to the tool crib, give our employees number and get a handful of new ones. ( the other used bits go in the metal scrap for recycling).

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I just looked and I have the 350x i bought at Canadian tire on sale a few years back.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Wow, way back years ago, oh say 26 years approximately, when I started in the airframe fitter department, we were taught how to sharpen drill bits on the bench grinder, times have changed, now just go to the tool crib, give our employees number and get a handful of new ones. ( the other used bits go in the metal scrap for recycling).

Wow, what a shame, if you were my neighbor I’d never had to buy drill bits again. 😀

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow, way back years ago, oh say 26 years approximately, when I started in the airframe fitter department, we were taught how to sharpen drill bits on the bench grinder, times have changed, now just go to the tool crib, give our employees number and get a handful of new ones.

Someone figured out that the cost of the time spent sharpening a bit is more than the cost of a new bit, especially if the fellow doing the sharpening doesn’t quite get it right the first time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

I just looked and I have the 350x i bought at Canadian tire on sale a few years back.

Found a quick video on how to use that model, hope it helps

BryanT

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.457 seconds