dcsimg

Sharpening

This topic contains 151 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  Siberian 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Speaking to them once at the returns counter they told me how people would buy big screen TV’s for the Superbowl or other playoff final type events, and return them shortly thereafter. That’s abuse in my mind. No different than buying a tool for a job and returning after it is done with HD or Lowes.

Our Costco sells those big Igloo coolers. She was returning something and someone was returning a cooler. It was bloody. The guy said he used it for fishing and didn’t like it. At least they could have rinsed it out.

Some people have no class, whatsoever.

A friend of mine works for a local wine distributor and he said they have to bite all the returns from Costco but the sales more than makes up for it. I wonder if that’s how it is for all companies selling to Costco.

Sparky603
    Pro
    Rural, NH

A friend of mine works for a local wine distributor and he said they have to bite all the returns from Costco but the sales more than makes up for it. I wonder if that’s how it is for all companies selling to Costco.

I had a membership for a short time, and I remember it having something to do with them not being an authorized retailer for much of what they sell, so they take it back generously.

3rd gen. master electrician / electrical contractor. Professional tradesman since 1987.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Speaking to them once at the returns counter they told me how people would buy big screen TV’s for the Superbowl or other playoff final type events, and return them shortly thereafter. That’s abuse in my mind. No different than buying a tool for a job and returning after it is done with HD or Lowes.

Technically once it is sold it cannot be sold again. A lot of Reman stuff you buy is a result of these types of returns and why I am not hesitant to buy reman stuff.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Check out “Toms Techniques” on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqR9wRW2JYXOlpqiN8C0dIg

He has a video on sharpening drill bits. I have not tried it myself….yet.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’ve read through this thread and seen that the consensus on brads is to chuck ’em once dull….but does anyone have a method for sharpening them?
    I just picked u a 25 piece set and don’t feel like chucking any of ’em out once they are dulling.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Our Costco sells those big Igloo coolers. She was returning something and someone was returning a cooler. It was bloody. The guy said he used it for fishing and didn’t like it. At least they could have rinsed it out.

Some people have no class, whatsoever.

They do have to in order to deal with Costco.

I like Costco, but you still have to know your prices on anything you buy there as well as to how whatever make and model of something they sell stacks up to other products out there in the marketplace.

I noticed over the last 5 years or so, they seem to carry a lot less tools. Is that just in Canada, or is that the same in the US as well.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

Thanks for the video Jim and welcome to BTP. Wow, lots of steps involved in sharpening. Always thought it was like sharpening a pencil. Good video!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great video Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve read through this thread and seen that the consensus on brads is to chuck ‘em once dull….but does anyone have a method for sharpening them?
    I just picked u a 25 piece set and don’t feel like chucking any of ‘em out once they are dulling.

There’s gotta be a way but I have never done it. Thankfully mine don’t get dull all that often. I think I have only ever replaced the 7mm that I used to do shelf pins in the past.

Neat video @jimdaddyo

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have tried sharpening on the grinder before and just made things worse. I also have broken a lot of small bits. I hate when you break them and you are missing part of your set. Then when I get to the store I can’t remember which ones I need.
    What is the best brand of bits to buy?

Anonymous

Good info, thanks

Was taught free-hand many years ago when I started my apprenticeship and have done it that way ever since. You develop a feel and the most important thing is to keep the drill cool – If you overheat it while grinding, it won’t cut butter.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Was taught free-hand many years ago when I started my apprenticeship and have done it that way ever since. You develop a feel and the most important thing is to keep the drill cool – If you overheat it while grinding, it won’t cut butter.

If you over heat it and ruin the heat treat. I wonder if you can re heat treat it and fix it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If you over heat it and ruin the heat treat. I wonder if you can re heat treat it and fix it.

I don’t believe you can.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I was taught a long time ago to sharpen drill bits by hand. With my eye sight failing a bit these days, I can still do the larger sizes but when it come down to the smaller sizes I use my drill doctor

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

There are a few Tormek clones out there that have accessories to adapt the wet grinder for different blade/drill sharpening. I know that Grizzly make one and Craftex (Busy Bee) up here in Canada have the exact same model.

It’s a nice luxury but an expensive one. You’re looking at $200+ for the unit. That is small potatoes, however, compared to the actual Tormek.

Finesse has a big part to play and you can usually keep your bits and blades from burning by using good technique.

staker
    Pro

I use the belt or disc sander free hand.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Has anyone tried to sharpen carbide miter saw blade ? I heard some of my friends said that carbide miter saw blade couldn’t be sharpened.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Has anyone tried to sharpen carbide miter saw blade ? I heard some of my friends said that carbide miter saw blade couldn’t be sharpened.

Yes it can be sharpened. The best thing to do is sent the blade to a pro sharping shop. I use Forrest blades.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

This guy has a bunch of sharpening (by hand) vids too, this one is brad point. Now, he has been at it a long time and is pretty quick, but he makes it pretty easy to understand.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.267 seconds