dcsimg

Sharpening

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I usually toss the bits. Since joining BTP I’ve learned a lot about tools that I didn’t know before. And drill bits is something that I use a lot but didn’t pay attention to brands before this forum.

I don’t think sharpening the bits would be worthwhile to me. You might say the physical work I do is part-time, unlike you guys who are plugging away every day.

Pat

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

@mattryyc,

I might need to get one of those drill doctors. Are there limitations on the type of bits you can use in it?

Depends on the model you get. Here’s a link to show you what’s available option-wise.
    http://www.drilldoctor.com/drill-sharpeners-and-accessories/drill-sharpeners.html?gclid=CJHG36DmiL4CFUNqOgodegMAkQ

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Depends on the model you get. Here’s a link to show you what’s available option-wise.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/drill-sharpeners-and-accessories/drill-sharpeners.html?gclid=CJHG36DmiL4CFUNqOgodegMAkQ%5B/quote%5D

Thanks for that, I’ll have to check it out.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I usually toss the bits. Since joining BTP I’ve learned a lot about tools that I didn’t know before. And drill bits is something that I use a lot but didn’t pay attention to brands before this forum.

I don’t think sharpening the bits would be worthwhile to me. You might say the physical work I do is part-time, unlike you guys who are plugging away every day.

I drill and cut things often. That’s why I toss them in favor of new when they are tired.

When sharpening anything (except carbide) keep water handy. a guy told me that if it’s too hot to touch to the tip of your…..nose….it’s effecting the steel. I sharpen everything i own regularly. Bench grinder if I’m in the shop or a 4.5″ angle grinder witha metal disc if i’m in the field

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

When sharpening anything (except carbide) keep water handy. a guy told me that if it’s too hot to touch to the tip of your…..nose….it’s effecting the steel. I sharpen everything i own regularly. Bench grinder if I’m in the shop or a 4.5″ angle grinder witha metal disc if i’m in the field

I think that is good advice. Heat kills.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve always replaced worn out bits. I do have a nice bench grinder. Maybe I’ll try sharpening some of the old bit on it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll dress my ship auger bits with a hand file, but do not bother sharpening small twist bits. Sure, if I had super-high quality US ones, but I do not.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I tried sharpening a few bits with my bench grinder that had become dinged up without much success. I had a hard time maintaining an angle. I suppose a jig would make life easier.

Sharpening things is great.., I use mostly smaller bits, which get broken before needing to be sharpened.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the drill doctor I’m sure I’ll be purchasing one in the near future.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I didn’t know you could do this with bits. I end up tossing any bits that are bad also.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie

Years ago I saw the Drill Doctor on sale at Costco. For some stupid dumb idiotic moronic mentally absent dumdum reason, I didn’t buy it on the spot. And just like a lot of things you see at Costco, you better buy it when you see it because you may possibly never see it again. Well, that was one of those items.

Like others, I just toss them when they’re no longer doing their job.

Years ago I saw the Drill Doctor on sale at Costco. For some stupid dumb idiotic moronic mentally absent dumdum reason, I didn’t buy it on the spot. And just like a lot of things you see at Costco, you better buy it when you see it because you may possibly never see it again. Well, that was one of those items.

I bought one at that time. Tried to do some bits but I didn’t think it was as good as new. Returned it shortly after. Maybe I should have gave it a shot.

I agree with the buy it now theory, too. Saw stuff and went back later and it was gone. Costco has a good return policy so I now when I see something I just buy it and then think about it.

Doobie

I bought one at that time. Tried to do some bits but I didn’t think it was as good as new. Returned it shortly after. Maybe I should have gave it a shot.

I agree with the buy it now theory, too. Saw stuff and went back later and it was gone. Costco has a good return policy so I now when I see something I just buy it and then think about it.

That actually makes me feel better. Was it the model type that Drill Doctor offered that was inferior to what may their other models sold elsewhere? I dunno their line. I should go check on an earlier post that linked their products which I may do shortly anyways. I always thought I wanted a Drill Doctor possibly.

And yes, the Costco model is such that if you see something you ‘think’ you like, just buy it and return later as they have one of the most liberal return policies out there aside from the elctronics stuff which is still in itself pretty generous imo.

Speaking to them once at the returns counter they told me how people would buy big screen TV’s for the Superbowl or other playoff final type events, and return them shortly thereafter. That’s abuse in my mind. No different than buying a tool for a job and returning after it is done with HD or Lowes.

woodman_412

I usually sharpen forstner bits by hand with a diamond hone. I have a couple slim diamond hones that I use on my forstner bits. Brad point bits unless they are bigger ones usually get tossed once the points are gone. If it’s a bigger brad point bit that is more expensive I’ll send it out to the sharpening shop to get reground. I don’t use twist bits often enough to really worry too much about it.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Years ago I saw the Drill Doctor on sale at Costco.

I like mine, I am sure it has paid for itself over the years.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Years ago I saw the Drill Doctor on sale at Costco.

I like mine, I am sure it has paid for itself over the years.

What did yours run you?

Speaking to them once at the returns counter they told me how people would buy big screen TV’s for the Superbowl or other playoff final type events, and return them shortly thereafter. That’s abuse in my mind. No different than buying a tool for a job and returning after it is done with HD or Lowes.

Our Costco sells those big Igloo coolers. She was returning something and someone was returning a cooler. It was bloody. The guy said he used it for fishing and didn’t like it. At least they could have rinsed it out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our Costco sells those big Igloo coolers. She was returning something and someone was returning a cooler. It was bloody. The guy said he used it for fishing and didn’t like it. At least they could have rinsed it out.

Some people have no class, whatsoever.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I’ve been haunted by this thread ever since it started. So, I broke down and bought a Drill Doctor! LOL 🙂

Pat

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.686 seconds