dcsimg

Sharpening

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Do you sharpen your metal drill bits? If so, how do you do it (by hand, bench grinder, drill doctor, etc)? Any tips on how to do it well?

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

I normally do my drill bit freehand. It takes some practice but is much faster.
    A good bench grinder, a good source of light and a jig to keep the bit at a steady angle against the grinder wheel. Don’t forget to dress up the wheel after you’re done, specially if you are using it for your chisels like I do.

P.S. Heat is the worst enemy for your drill bits, so don’t push too hard against the wheel and keep a container with water beside the grinder and dip the drill bits often to keep them cool.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’m a big fan of the drill doctor. I usually do a bunch at once as it takes a rhythm to get used to. Keep your bits clean and stone clean.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im guilty of just tossing them. I have considered the drill Dr several times.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’m looking for good solutions, in the mean time I have a very heavy box that I add to pretty regularly. My issue has been thinking about payback, investing in a system would take me a long time to pay back. I’m interested if I could do them myself with either my bench grinder or maybe rotary tool though.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I have heard good things about the drill Dr. Seems to me it would pay itself off fairly quickly if you go through a lot of bits…

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive attemptd it both with the drill doctor and a guide on a bench grinder.. failed miserably so i just tossed the bits.

small twist bits are what i go through the most because their so small they usually break before they dull

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I would think the sizes you use may influence it also. I will break bits before I wear them out with anything less than 3/16 everything above that is used sparingly so they stay good longer. In that respect can last many years with a sharpening here & there.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

When I was working on steel buildings my boss would sharpen bits with the side of the big cut-off wheel on the chop saw…I tried a few times with little to no success.

I usually just toss them, thought about a drill dr. before but used a friends once with little success. And like most guys have said i usually break the little ones before i wear out larger ones.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

A friend has a Dr Doctor. He takes a load and does them in his spare time.

I can do it in a pinch on a grinder.

msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

Just got a drill doctor and it seems to work great.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

I am guaranteed to break them or lose them before I need to sharpen them. Except for spade bits. The cheap ones I end up burning out so they are no good to sharpen, and the expensive ones….I lose. I guess I need some more L-Boxxes.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Im guilty of just tossing them. I have considered the drill Dr several times.

Same. I toss them and get new. I consider them as consumables.

It’s hard to sharpen brad point bits well, which is what I use most of the time.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I’ve got a box of dull drill bits. I’ve been planning on getting a drill doctor but I want a decent one and those aren’t cheap.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

here’s the guy I have. Next time I would save a little more and get the bigger one.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I have a drill doctor. Tried it a couple times, but it only does the 118° bits. I normally buy 135°, so it just sits there almost new. I find it easier just to stock up on bit sets @ Christmastime.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I might need to get one of those drill doctors. Are there limitations on the type of bits you can use in it?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I always sharpen them on a bench grinder. Even if it’s snapped off I just grind a new point on it and have a stubby bit. It’s actually real easy to do, just takes a little practice to get the feel for it. We had another thread about this, but I can’t find it… I posted a youtube link there that shows how I sharpen on a bench grinder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.724 seconds