dcsimg

Shaper origin cnc router

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

That is cool. I want one, although I’m not crazy about paying an ongoing $300 annual sofware fee after the first year.

I think as a professional use the cost of the annual software updates in minimal to the cnc potential profits for you .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think with any CNC nmachine you are going to have software upgrades to deal with. they may not be quite as much each year but you will probably want to keep up to date on what is available.

I would wonder if you actually need to have the subscription or if you could continue to use it without updating plans and the like staying with the status quo software.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I think with any CNC nmachine you are going to have software upgrades to deal with. they may not be quite as much each year but you will probably want to keep up to date on what is available.

I would wonder if you actually need to have the subscription or if you could continue to use it without updating plans and the like staying with the status quo software.

I think you would have to pay each year. Your not actually buying the software you are paying them for an agreement to use their software for a year. Kinda stupid but thats how it is. But like skillman was saying as a professional that can put this to good use you could pay for that licensing agreement in probably a matter of a few hours.

Pretty expensive proposition for the woodworker hobbyist with that kind of software cost. I hope it will come down in cost.

Doobie

Pretty expensive proposition for the woodworker hobbyist with that kind of software cost. I hope it will come down in cost.

That’s what I’ve been kinda waiting for a bit longer before getting any CNC unit. There’s also limited options out there. I like the Axiom stuff, but it’s not available in Canada yet.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is what has got me worried, Adobe does this and it’s quite pricy to stay in the ecosystem.

It’s the wave of the future, everyone is trying to figure out how to get an annual payment once they sell you a product. You buy a tool and the next time the company gets any money is when you need a new tool. If the first tool you bought lasts a long time good for you because you got ROI, good for the company because it builds brand loyalty, but bad for the company because they won’t get another sale for a long time. What abut coming up with an annual fee built into the tool. That way every tool they sell comes with an annual built in money maker.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

What abut coming up with an annual fee built into the tool. That way every tool they sell comes with an annual built in money maker.

Don’t give them any ideas! 😉

That would irk me a lot if a power tool manufacturer would want what is essentially an annual user fee.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That is what has got me worried, Adobe does this and it’s quite pricy to stay in the ecosystem.

It’s the wave of the future, everyone is trying to figure out how to get an annual payment once they sell you a product. You buy a tool and the next time the company gets any money is when you need a new tool. If the first tool you bought lasts a long time good for you because you got ROI, good for the company because it builds brand loyalty, but bad for the company because they won’t get another sale for a long time. What abut coming up with an annual fee built into the tool. That way every tool they sell comes with an annual built in money maker.

On the one hand, I get that mentality, but it also sucks for the end user. I hope tool technology doesn’t all go that way. I guess I can’t really see drills and saws needing things like that, most hand tools won’t need to be auto directed. Although with the blue tooth additions to some newer tools, that could just be the start of the same.

Charlie

Instagram

That’s a good question . But if your software went down would they not fix it cause you didn’t sign up to a program of any company not just shaper

Always willing to learn .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

On the one hand, I get that mentality, but it also sucks for the end user. I hope tool technology doesn’t all go that way. I guess I can’t really see drills and saws needing things like that, most hand tools won’t need to be auto directed. Although with the blue tooth additions to some newer tools, that could just be the start of the same.

its starting to go that way because wasn’t it john deere that announced they wanted to have a licence before you can repair their vehicles, you don’t really own it own it, you lease it from them.

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

Just got one on pre order today. Will be great for template cutting and then take the real 2″ walnut piece to a bigger router table with the template taped on. Great for custom work in a solid wook furniture shop I think! This seems to be the future and a pretty good approach. My feeling is, I can wait 4 years for it to mature or just start using it today (aka a year from now) and speed up a bunch of workflows!

Also! If anyone gets one – use this link and you’ll get an extra $100 off after you checkout!

https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/3HN2HQ5FT

They have a great referral program, BOTH the referrer AND the referee get 100 bucks off and you can keep referring until your tool is free! Im sure we can get some free tools with everyone in these forums! Hop on, see you in the future!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just got one on pre order today. Will be great for template cutting and then take the real 2″ walnut piece to a bigger router table with the template taped on. Great for custom work in a solid wook furniture shop

Congrats on a very nice addition to your shop. Very nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Just got one on pre order today. Will be great for template cutting and then take the real 2″ walnut piece to a bigger router table with the template taped on. Great for custom work in a solid wook furniture shop I think! This seems to be the future and a pretty good approach. My feeling is, I can wait 4 years for it to mature or just start using it today (aka a year from now) and speed up a bunch of workflows!

Also! If anyone gets one – use this link and you’ll get an extra $100 off after you checkout!

https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/3HN2HQ5FT

They have a great referral program, BOTH the referrer AND the referee get 100 bucks off and you can keep referring until your tool is free! Im sure we can get some free tools with everyone in these forums! Hop on, see you in the future!

Im so envious and can’t wait to see your review and videos to follow. I kinda wished they would sell in all of north america.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Are they not in Canada yet?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It is nice to see someone order one and shate the discount. I believe both people f=get the discount. that is great. I think it is a great timesaver, but I am afraid I would not use it like O would want to.

I will also be interested to see a review.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to it! Will post some reviews and stuff when it arrives, but seeing the videos I’ve seen so far, and assuming it works as well as it looks in every video i really don’t see why every small shop shouldn’t have one of these. Any curves will be a time saver, and fun!

I realize though that this is probably a template cutter for me as I doubt I could go through 1.5″ material cleanly, but man templates, jigs, etc always seem to take me forever.

Also, they say you can always get a full refund until the day it ships so why not hop on now while the price is still $600 less!?

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.535 seconds