dcsimg

Setting Up My Pickup For A Slide In Camper

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I came across a pickup camper that was a great deal so I bought it, I’ve had every other type of camper in my life but never one of these so I thought I’d give it a try. There’s been quite a few occasions in the last few years I could have used one just for the out in the middle of nowhere thing for a couple days at a time, I still have a 5th wheel camper that I live in up at a mountain camp in the summers, and an old old motor home that I haven’t used in 7 years.

I’m finding out now this great camper deal is costing me a LOT more money than I thought it would just to get my truck set up properly for it. Since it’s a Big heavy camper at 11′ 9″ I decided I better go with the real frame mount tie-downs rather than the weenie just to the box method. $$$

As the plot thickens, in order for me to tow my enclosed trailer I have to have a 48″ hitch extension that’ll handle 950lbs tongue weight. I got it yesterday and it’s a Beast, I mean it’s awesome but many many more $$$$ LOL.

And as if the plot wasn’t thick enough already I’ve got more issues LOL, I have a drop-in bed liner and 5th wheel hitch mounts in the bed of my truck. The camper must lay on a flat surface and these mounts stick up an 1 1/4″, Plus I had to remove the liner and of course the topper…

So my solution to the bed was to stack two sheets of ply equaling 1 5/16″ and cut out for the 5th wheel hitch mounts, That’s done. Next is to mount the new hitch and tie-downs, Here’s some progress pics

What are you using to attach that material to your truck bed . Some kind of bolts or screws .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous
    Inactive

Notice the hitch has dual receivers, upper and lower. The 48″ extension is called a super truss and works like a truss too, It’s two 2×2″ OD square tubing connected together and slips in both receivers. And with an equalizer hitch on the end of that it’s rated for 12,000lb trailer weight and 1,200lb tongue weight

Anonymous
    Inactive

What are you using to attach that material to your truck bed . Some kind of bolts or screws .

Nothing, I did screw the plywood sheets together but the camper will just set on them. They can’t move as they fit nice and tight around the 5th wheel mounts, And when I’m not using the camper I’ll simply slide em out and put the liner and topper back on

EDIT; Here’s a pic of just the first layer on, The cut-outs are bigger in this sheet for the 5th wheel mounts. Then the top sheet cut-outs are smaller to fit the mounts

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

That looks like a heck of a receiver hitch Dabbs.
    And looks like you came up with a great solution for the 5th wheel brackets.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

Does water get in there when the camper is sitting in the bed? If it does, I hope that’s exterior ply at least.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Notice the hitch has dual receivers, upper and lower. The 48″ extension is called a super truss and works like a truss too, It’s two 2×2″ OD square tubing connected together and slips in both receivers. And with an equalizer hitch on the end of that it’s rated for 12,000lb trailer weight and 1,200lb tongue weight

Where’s a pic of the camper? LOL
    That is one hefty hitch.
    So every time you turn around, it’s a few bucks here and a few bucks there.
    Will you need to extend your wire harness?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous
    Inactive

That looks like a heck of a receiver hitch Dabbs.
    And looks like you came up with a great solution for the 5th wheel brackets.

Thanks @RonW, Yeah I need to be able to pull my enclosed trailer with my RZR and 4 wheeler in it. And I’ve just lately had another bonus idea, Since I equipped my enclosed trailer with dual 6volt golf cart type batteries to power the 12v lights etc in it I should be able to simply plug it into the camper while parked to help power it too *lightbulb* ….

The camper plugs into the truck like any camper does with the seven terminals to run the tailights and one for constant power to charge it’s 12v house battery, I’m thinking to plug the trailer into it I’ll have that much more reserve to run the heater etc 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where’s a pic of the camper? LOL
    That is one hefty hitch.
    So every time you turn around, it’s a few bucks here and a few bucks there.
    Will you need to extend your wire harness?

Yes I’ll need an extension cord for the wiring but I actually already have one that should be about the right length too. I had to get it years ago to plug my 5th wheel into the receptacle on the back of the truck…..Here’s pics of the camper, I tried to line it up to show how far it’ll hang out past the back of the truck but it’s not quite right. I measured it out at 22″ past the end of the tailgate

@Dabbs wow $$$$ but on the bright side, looks like you have the plywood base figured out so far, yeah that’s one big beefy trail hitch, how hard is it to attach the camper housing on the back, and how long does it take, do you think your going for have to get used to driving with the extra height and weight?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did get the front frame mount camper tie-downs mounted on my truck yesterday, They be tough and can be removed just like a receiver hitch when not in use. Simply pull the pin

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dabbs wow $$$$ but on the bright side, looks like you have the plywood base figured out so far, yeah that’s one big beefy trail hitch, how hard is it to attach the camper housing on the back, and how long does it take, do you think your going for have to get used to driving with the extra height and weight?

Well not sure how hard it’ll be to load it, Haven’t picked it up yet LOL. Still trying to get my truck ready, This tie-down system I bought seems like it’ll be easy though. I’ve driven all kinds of big dump & semi trucks and heavy equipment all my life so not worried at all about the extra height or weight, As long as my truck can handle it

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Yes I’ll need an extension cord for the wiring but I actually already have one that should be about the right length too. I had to get it years ago to plug my 5th wheel into the receptacle on the back of the truck…..Here’s pics of the camper, I tried to line it up to show how far it’ll hang out past the back of the truck but it’s not quite right. I measured it out at 22″ past the end of the tailgate

Trailer nooks to be in great shape.
    22″ is not a lot of overhang off the back but just enough to throw off moving in reverse a bit.

I like the front tie downs, easy to remove when not needed.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I did get the front frame mount camper tie-downs mounted on my truck yesterday, They be tough and can be removed just like a receiver hitch when not in use. Simply pull the pin

Will you carry some extra pins if they snap .

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Nice rig, @Dabbs. should be very handy for short outings or longer, for that matter.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trailer nooks to be in great shape.
    22″ is not a lot of overhang off the back but just enough to throw off moving in reverse a bit.

I like the front tie downs, easy to remove when not needed.

When I said 22″ that’s from the end of the tailgate when it’s down, But I’m removing it. So measuring the overhang of the camper from the end of the box will be around 42″ish, Give or take a few inches not sure yet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will you carry some extra pins if they snap .

Hmmm, Hadn’t figured on it but I guess I should. I don’t think there’s much actual strain on the pin itself though, Most of the pressure will be a straight up pull so it’s the tubing in a tubing that’ll take the load

Nice rig, @Dabbs. should be very handy for short outings or longer, for that matter.

Indeed

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

As long as my truck can handle it

What size truck is that, Dabbs? 3/4 ton? It should handle it fine. I used to have a similar size camper (stuck out of an 8′ bed by about 30″) that I hauled to Colorado and back in a 1/2 ton Ford.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

As long as my truck can handle it

What size truck is that, Dabbs? 3/4 ton? It should handle it fine. I used to have a similar size camper (stuck out of an 8′ bed by about 30″) that I hauled to Colorado and back in a 1/2 ton Ford.

Wow I like to hear that, Mine’s a GMC 2500HD 3/4 ton. My suspension buddy says the HD makes it equal to a 1 ton, And I had him put airbags on it two years ago and he says I’ll be fine with this camper. He says the airbags are rated for 6000lbs, The book says this camper is 2530lbs dry. I don’t know what the light rear axle weight is on my truck but it weighs about 6400 total, I spect the rear is a bit lighter than the front so I should be below the capacity wet and loaded.

Today is the day I’m putting on the beast of a hitch, Suppose to get the rear tiedowns today that attach to it. Then all that’s left is complete the wiring and turnbuckle stuff, I found my truck is pre-wired for a camper too. There’s a pigtail stuffed in the frame right between the cab and box, I need to go see what type of plug the camper has and test the wires too. 🙂

Will you use some kind of sand paint on the plywood . Would make it more durable .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.598 seconds