dcsimg

Sets or individuals?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author

@thedude306, same here on those sized bits. It probably is not in the manufacturers best interest to sell sets with extras in those sizes. But, it sure would be nice and I think the company that does that will sell more sets.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

seem I break or wear out the 1/8″ and 3/16″ sizes the most.

I have seen sets with multiple bits of 1/8″ & 3/16″ as well as 1/4″. 1/8″ should be no prblem to buy bulk packs as it is the bit os choice in body work. Check body supply places you can buy bulk 1/8″ in all the different lengths and finishes including 1/8″ double ended bits.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

on drill bits, I wish there where more quality bulk packs available. It always seem I break or wear out the 1/8″ and 3/16″ sizes the most.

I have bought the CTC bulk sets just to have a bunch of the smaller sizes. You are right in the fact that they are not quality bits. Usually the quality bits are sold individually.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@thedude306, same here on those sized bits. It probably is not in the manufacturers best interest to sell sets with extras in those sizes. But, it sure would be nice and I think the company that does that will sell more sets.

Most quality manufacturers offer bulk packs, 10’s and 100’s, you just have to ask your local jobber to bring them in. They only stock what they sell.

on drill bits, I wish there where more quality bulk packs available. It always seem I break or wear out the 1/8″ and 3/16″ sizes the most.

I have bought the CTC bulk sets just to have a bunch of the smaller sizes. You are right in the fact that they are not quality bits. Usually the quality bits are sold individually.

I have done that, too, seems every time I do, the quality goes further and further downhill.
    CTC…..Walmart with different stuff.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

seem I break or wear out the 1/8″ and 3/16″ sizes the most.

I have seen sets with multiple bits of 1/8″ & 3/16″ as well as 1/4″. 1/8″ should be no prblem to buy bulk packs as it is the bit os choice in body work. Check body supply places you can buy bulk 1/8″ in all the different lengths and finishes including 1/8″ double ended bits.

I’ve seen them at body shops as well. My comment was more to see a bulk pack at the local lumber store (or even BB store)

Do find quality plays a smaller part with smaller bits?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Do find quality plays a smaller part with smaller bits?

The only thing I have found that keeps small bits from breaking is to keep them sharp. Most of the times I break one is when I crank down on it to get it to cut faster. Snaps them in two almost every time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

often I get sets as they are typically cheaper. I grab some on sale if i need them or not. It does however give me some extras and some that i will never need. But i still find it cheaper

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Whether to buy sets or individual epends on the price of the individual items. Twist drill bits in sizes under 3/8″ are cheap and frequently on sale so that’s what I get. More expensive items like router bits and hole saws I try to find a basic set, then add what I need. Because each item is more expensive, buying a set with bits I won’t use ties up too much money.

@r-ice
    , I am very pleased with the brad point bits for wood that I got at Lee Valley years ago. Very clean holes. I only use them on solid wood or very visible holes in plywood.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sometimes buying a set on sale is cheaper then buying individual bits especially this time of year. Only problem is the many loose non-popular drill bits I have in a box that seldom get used, break or get dull.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

This is why i buy sets like these when i come across them. Granted not the best bits made, but for $4.50 on clearance it stocked me up on the fragile smaller bits

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

For $4.5 I’d pick it up too.

I buy the mastercraft bulk pack too. They do dull fast but I can sharpen them in under 15 seconds so the only time I decommission one is if it breaks.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Whether to buy sets or individual epends on the price of the individual items. Twist drill bits in sizes under 3/8″ are cheap and frequently on sale so that’s what I get. More expensive items like router bits and hole saws I try to find a basic set, then add what I need. Because each item is more expensive, buying a set with bits I won’t use ties up too much money.
    @r-ice, I am very pleased with the brad point bits for wood that I got at Lee Valley years ago. Very clean holes. I only use them on solid wood or very visible holes in plywood.

i love the lee valley bits, they always stock great products. However right now I am searching for metal drill bits, specifically for drilling through annealed or hardened steel.

Doobie

@r-ice, I am very pleased with the brad point bits for wood that I got at Lee Valley years ago. Very clean holes. I only use them on solid wood or very visible holes in plywood.

i love the lee valley bits, they always stock great products. However right now I am searching for metal drill bits, specifically for drilling through annealed or hardened steel.

Maybe the Bosch Cobalt set?

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Accessories/Pages/BoschProductListCategory.aspx?catId=1095&subCatId=1472

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Maybe the Bosch Cobalt set?

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Accessories/Pages/BoschProductListCategory.aspx?catId=1095&subCatId=1472

Depends on how hard, annealed no problem, but hardened the cobalt bits ain’t gonna cut it.

Your only choice with hardened steel is solid carbide bits, but you have to use them in drill press and be careful about feed rate, they will chip and crack if you look at them wrong.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

How hardened?, drilling through some armor plate? Slow and drilling lube

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This is why i buy sets like these when i come across them. Granted not the best bits made, but for $4.50 on clearance it stocked me up on the fragile smaller bits

Those are some cheap bits… I always pick em up cheap too.

Doobie

What the hell are you drilling Aaron? Letting us know that and might help you better.

Frank! What is your SIL up to now? 😉

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

One of his knives that he forgot to drill before hardening? 😛

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

What the hell are you drilling Aaron? Letting us know that and might help you better.

Frank! What is your SIL up to now?

It’s like he has a secret lab in his shop and always up to no good. He He

@r-ice
    I hope you are taking your time drilling through the hardened steel and not trying to power drill through it?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yep stocking on bits that cheap just makes sense. You can’t beat the price and the you’re right the fragile bits always are breaking.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.632 seconds