dcsimg

Sets or individuals?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Aside from a basic set of router bits for the most common tasks, I learned years ago to buy router bits as needed.

Drill bits, sets except for really huge ones like for my SDS-Max Rotary Hammer.

where do you find the best place to buy sets of drill bits and what brand do you swear by? I have been really tempted to buy a set from ccs industrial and I want HSS

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Go with cobalt if you drill any metal, much better than HSS.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I prefer buying in sets when they are on sale otherwise I buy them one at a time .

yellaD
    Pro

I prefer to keep one set for metal specifically because the cutting angle and materials will be different, for optimal performance that is.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Go with cobalt if you drill any metal, much better than HSS.

I wanted HSS because i can than sharpen them and get more use out of em. If i get cobolt I can’t really sharpen them right.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I prefer buying in sets when they are on sale otherwise I buy them one at a time .

I find that during the holiday season, you can find a lot of bit sets on sale. I got a bunch of Dewalt sets last year for $3/set.

yellaD
    Pro

Hell yeah! I sharpened drill bits for a year my first job at a metal machining shop. Once you “get it”, it’s easier than a Drill Doctor jig. I find jigs take off so much material.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I find that during the holiday season, you can find a lot of bit sets on sale. I got a bunch of Dewalt sets last year for $3/set.

Yep drill bit sets are a popular holiday sale item. I stock up every year.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hell yeah! I sharpened drill bits for a year my first job at a metal machining shop. Once you “get it”, it’s easier than a Drill Doctor jig. I find jigs take off so much material.

oh good, i may need you to show me how to sharpen without the drill doctor, the drill doctor isn’t the easiest to use.

yellaD
    Pro

yeah man, np! Hopefully you pick it up quicker than I did. haha.

burr251
    Pro

For me it really depends on what it is but I’ve found with a lot of things that buying things in sets often means they may lack in quality. For instance you can buy Makitas LXT line in a ton of different sets but to get their premium grade tools you have to buy them individually for the most part. Just something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burr251
    Pro

Recip blades are like this too. You can get a pack of em with a little case for $25 bucks but they’re junk compared to individually bought premium blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I usually but packs because the cost isn’t that much more for a pack compared to individual. ie spade bits for drilling holes through wood.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Sets are good because they ensure that you have a variety of sizes available. But a lot of the time we just buy based on need. If we’re on a job where we have to drill a million holes all the same size we’ll just grab a bunch of bits of that one size.

Thats the idea. Buy sets cheap, take out the few I us ea lot and let the sons lose the rest

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thats the idea. Buy sets cheap, take out the few I us ea lot and let the sons lose the rest

I think right now i’ve got all the drills I need. I might start buying nicer drills for metal and separate ones for wood now. I’ll end up focusing on the sizes I need vs just buying a kit and getting the ones I never use.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I might start buying nicer drills for metal and separate ones for wood now.

Take a look at the Bosch 12V line. They small, light, compact, but powerful.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I think right now i’ve got all the drills I need. I might start buying nicer drills for metal and separate ones for wood now. I’ll end up focusing on the sizes I need vs just buying a kit and getting the ones I never use.

One other thing is, if you buy them separately, keep them in their original packaging or make a holder that will keep the bits apart and not hitting each other.
    They will stay sharper longer.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I might start buying nicer drills for metal and separate ones for wood now.

Take a look at the Bosch 12V line. They small, light, compact, but powerful.

sorry i forgot a word, i meant drill bits lol.

One other thing is, if you buy them separately, keep them in their original packaging or make a holder that will keep the bits apart and not hitting each other.
    They will stay sharper longer.

yah that too, but right now i have them in the rolling tool chest and they are now kept separate from each other unlike the mess they were in before.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

on drill bits, I wish there where more quality bulk packs available. It always seem I break or wear out the 1/8″ and 3/16″ sizes the most.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.463 seconds