dcsimg

Sets or individuals?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

Do you guys buy sets of stuff or individuals as you need them? Whether it’s drill bits. router bits, jigsaw blades, etc?

Drill bits, I usually buy the set. Router bits, I bought a 20 pc set a while back that does most of what I need and now just buy specific bits as needed. Jigsaw blades, I only use 2 types of blades, a metal and a fine wood, so I just buy the packs of specifically those.

I think all this really is based on personal preference and what you are doing. For me, I have pretty general use of all drill bit sizes, so buying the set doesn’t really result in a lot of wasted bits. But jigsaw blades, I didn’t like a lot of the ones that came in the mixed packs.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I try to hit sets of the price is worth it. Right now I am looking at some wiha screw drivers, and unfortunately buying them singly is like 10-20 dollars per screw driver, buying them in a set is like about 7.50 for one. so there are savings if you buy per set when it comes to wiha. Sometimes depending if I get everything I want i will buy the set if it is also cheaper, but if it is cheaper and I get all these weird sizes I don’t use than I will look at them individually.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I tend to buy sets just because it usually comes out cheaper and you usually get some sort of case or pouch to keep them in.
    Like @robotmaster5379 said , some things that are big money and you won’t use I just buy what I need.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Most of the time I buy sets because they are on sale. Individual blades, bits etc rarely go on sale.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I tend to buy sets when they go on sale. Only buy individually if I need a specific size bit/blade.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use a lot of specific sizes, professionally, so tend to buy individuals rather than sets. Not much point in having sizes of items that I’ll never use, lugging them around in the truck.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

for drill bits I keep a set or two around and more if I find a good black Friday deal on them. In a lot of cases where we are drilling a specific size hole and a lot of them, I buy individuals.

Router bits, I buy individuals, it usually gives me a lot more of what I want.

Jig saw blades the last ones I have bought have been sets as they came in nice cases I will probably add more to them by buying the individual 5 piece cards,

Everything can change based on deals on Black Friday. It is less than 60 days away

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I usually just grab the sizes I need. Full sets can be pretty expensive, plus I’m only usually using a few different sizes anyways.

I will buy sets in the price is right and I will be regularly using the sizes offered. Usually sets will save you quite a bit. For example, I had a hex drill bit break and when I went to look for a replacement, the cost to replace it wasn’t that much less versus buying a whole set. Also, you never know when you will need the size bit or the size of wrench until you need it. Then you want it now.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think I am like a lot of you, I buy a set, often a small set with the most popular sizes then add to it as I need.

Guy I met a while back summed it up nicely — better to be lookin’ at it than lookin’ for it.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Guy I met a while back summed it up nicely — better to be lookin’ at it than lookin’ for it.

That is so true. When you need it you sometimes over pay or buy the first thing that you find and it might not have all the features or the quality you wanted.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I buy drill bits by the set, unless I only need a certain size. Router bits that come in sets are typically junk. High quality sets exist, but they will likely have several profiles I won’t use. For that reason, I buy them individually.

I buy bulk packages of recip and jigsaw blades of the same type because I rarely use more than two tooth sets.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

yellaD
    Pro

I’ve always been a sets guy, you never know when you might need that one weird size in drill bits. With forstners and router bits I found that the sets were a waste, I don’t do a lot of weird sizes but the ones I used, I used a lot. Same with jig saw blades, although I found myself using the blades not for what they were labled just so I could use them up or cuzz that’s all I had. Shhh don’t tell anyone! 😉

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Same with jig saw blades, although I found myself using the blades not for what they were labled just so I could use them up or cuzz that’s all I had. Shhh don’t tell anyone! 😉

Same here. When I buy sets it’s usually for the case they come in….not because I want the all of the blades.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

I always try to buy in quantity of things that I use and wear out often, such as bits and blades. That might be different then buying sets of various types and sizes, but I’m a little guilty of that too, especially impact bits.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Generally sets if it’s available. Unless it’s something I’ll use maybe once in any foreseeable future then I might just get the size I need.

Doobie

Aside from a basic set of router bits for the most common tasks, I learned years ago to buy router bits as needed.

Drill bits, sets except for really huge ones like for my SDS-Max Rotary Hammer.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Same as just about everyone else. Sets of bits and drivers, individuals on saw blade types. I do like to buy in bulk on the blades we use most often. Packs of 10 on circ saw, and usually 25 or more on the recip.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

drill bits i buy in sets when the current one i own is getting old but buy individuals if that size breaks

screwdrivers i buy multibit ones

router bits i buy individually as i need them
    jigsaw blades i buy as a package of the same blade

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.616 seconds