dcsimg

Seperating Cat-5 Cable

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If you are going to do much with ethernet, one of these kits can be very handy.

That does look handy Thank you for the tip.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Honestly with all the new products being wifi . Home are not being wired like they use to . I have just one place that has cat wire . My phone , computer , tv , tablets run on wifi . It’s become a lost art with knowing wire systems in simple homes

Always willing to learn .

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

If you want a link for that tester, this was one that I found with a good price.

http://cables4sure.com/network-testers/hobbes-lantest-kit-rohs-compliant.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwps2_BRC5jduHor-h8xESJADGT-LtltVgVtoUbK_c4NH9WwF_paffhF8yH8SaUJFMJY8xSxoCyJjw_wcB

You might also check a local computer store to see if they have one on the shelf – that is where I found the one I have.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie

@doobie, The tone out tester is better designed for phone lines.

Isn’t it the same anyways as Cat 5 is used for either?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I work with testers quite a bit and in my case. I would not want to teat/tone a CAT5/6 if I don’t know if the other end is plugged into a Cisco Switch, not a good thing. I actually use a specialized FLUKE Device to trace CAT5/6.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I work with testers quite a bit and in my case. I would not want to teat/tone a CAT5/6 if I don’t know if the other end is plugged into a Cisco Switch, not a good thing. I actually use a specialized FLUKE Device to trace CAT5/6.

Fluke is amazing but it will cost you a fortune.

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You got that right. I have a few of their DMMs and while they are good they were expensive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Didn’t know that. Good to keep in mind.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@utopia78
    You got that right. The I use will also test WiFi and came in at just over 1G. I really wanted the next model up that will also test fiber lines.

What I like about it is, you can find a break in a line and know approx where it is in distance.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

What I like about it is, you can find a break in a line and know approx where it is in distance.

Minehas that feature as well, which is nice especially with the susceptible to damage lines like cat wire cabling. Doesn’t take much to sever those little thin wires.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

My needs are not as intense, I use mine for two main purposes. I used to do quite a few network installs in local real-estate offices. I detest ‘coils’ of cable laying around, so I make my own cables to the proper length.
    Other than that, I use mine for just as the original post mentions – determining the other end of a line when they terminate in a common location and they are not labeled.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

To the OP, I don’t know if you’ve figured this out yet, but you can get a $15 DMM that’ll do the job.

Or, you can get a nice tone out kit for about $100. I have the Greenlee 701.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.419 seconds