dcsimg

Seperating Cat-5 Cable

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys, not sure if I’m posting this in the right forum but I am in need of some help. I am looking to convert a phone jack in one of my bedrooms from telephone to Ethernet.

At my electrical panel there is six cat-5 cables that are all popped into a phone junction.

My dilemma is how do I distinguish which of the cables is the one going to the room I want to change. I have the crimping tool and caps I need to do this. I am just struggling to figure out how to detect which cable leads where.

Any DIY ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I understand I can pay for my local phone company to come and have them do it at a cost but I would like to do this myself as I think its a fairly simple project.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

You can buy a tracer tool that will send a signal down a pair of wires. At that point you just use the reader to find the other end. The process is simple…just follow the beeping as it gets louder until you find the wire.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

They ‘buzz’ the line with a gizmo that helps them isolate which line it is. The problem is, the gizmo and detector are not cheap.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Tone-out kit. I use mine all the time. Mine’s a Greenlee.

There is a very time consuming way to do it without a tone out kit.

Take any pair in the bedroom, and twist them together. Then, go to the panel, and take the same color pair, from each cable, one at a time, and hold them apart. Them use a Multi-meter or electrical tester with Ohm reading, and test each pair consecutively. When you get a dead short (zero Ohms), that’s your pair.

If I didn’t explain this very well, let me know, I’ll try again.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Oh, I forgot, unplug everything from all other phone jacks in the house first. Otherwise, it’ll give some very confusing readings.

And disconnect the incoming phone line as well. First.

Delta

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

They ‘buzz’ the line with a gizmo that helps them isolate which line it is. The problem is, the gizmo and detector are not cheap.

can you just rent them? for me i’d just ask my networking admin buddies to borrow theres.

Overkill guys

Hook a device (powered on) to the room you want with every other line physically disconnected

Plug a device to the other end. Ideally, it has a small led that flashes when it tries to handshake. If not, use two devices that talk to each other. Keep tring lines until you get connection – faster and easier if theres an led

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Overkill guys

Hook a device (powered on) to the room you want with every other line physically disconnected

Plug a device to the other end. Ideally, it has a small led that flashes when it tries to handshake. If not, use two devices that talk to each other. Keep tring lines until you get connection – faster and easier if theres an led

Basically the exact same thing I said, using an Ohmmeter.

What’s a “device”? Or a “handshake”, anyway?

Delta

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Overkill guys

Delta

Device could be something as simple as a switch/router or laptop.

I was going to say take a pair and connect a 9V battery to it and check the other end for 9V but the resistance test is just as good.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Overkill guys

Delta

Same as Delta said but without having to twist (assuming plugs are already on) by using anything (devices) that uses ethernet. Handshaking is just the machines trying to communicate with one another. If two are connected to the same line, it should light up

Downside in this case though is that you would have to cap everything that MIGHT be the line, but that only takes a few seconds each once you get going

Tone-out kit. I use mine all the time. Mine’s a Greenlee.

There is a very time consuming way to do it without a tone out kit.

Take any pair in the bedroom, and twist them together. Then, go to the panel, and take the same color pair, from each cable, one at a time, and hold them apart. Them use a Multi-meter or electrical tester with Ohm reading, and test each pair consecutively. When you get a dead short (zero Ohms), that’s your pair.

If I didn’t explain this very well, let me know, I’ll try again.

Delta

Listen to this post it’s the way to go . I second what he posted on this thread .

Always willing to learn .

Thanks for all the posts guys.

Delta that sounds like a good idea. I will give that a try this weekend.

I can’t cap all the cables because I have a home phone line. Albeit only one jack in the house is actually being used for phone it would be my luck that would be the first one I’d try.

All the telecom cabling I think has been over complicated and need very unique tools to do anything to the setup which makes things like this not an easy project. My opinion anyway

Doobie

can you just rent them?

I suppose there may be a place that does, but where? I wouldn’t know where to look.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

can you just rent them?

I suppose there may be a place that does, but where? I wouldn’t know where to look.

Could always try a “wanted” ad on craigslist, or Kijiji for Canada.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Overkill guys

genius, lol sometimes we over think things. This is the easiest so hook up a router to that line and hook up a wired gaming unit or laptop and turn of wifi and see which one connects you to the internet.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

If you are going to do much with ethernet, one of these kits can be very handy.
    Connect the generator to the line you want to check, then go back to the box and check the lines one by one. If the lights start flashing you have found the matching end.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie

I happen to be right beside all the electrical gizmos at HD while looking at breaker panels and was surprised to see they had line buzzing thingies there. Two different types basically.

Doobie

Here’s the other more expensive one. (I wasn’t sure how the forum software wpuld organize the photos, so I kept them in seperate posts).

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

If you are going to do much with ethernet, one of these kits can be very handy.
    Connect the generator to the line you want to check, then go back to the box and check the lines one by one. If the lights start flashing you have found the matching end.

This is the type of tester you would need.

@doobie
    , The tone out tester is better designed for phone lines.

@Andrew24
    If you do want to purchase one, I’d suggest checking Amazon, I have purchased tone kits from there and they are reasonably priced.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

perfect guys…I appreciate the help. I’m going to make a stop on the way home today and see if I can pick one of those testers out. Had no idea that home depot would sell anything like that.

The wife would not have been impressed with my next approach of trial and error and likely disconnecting our house phone

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.351 seconds