dcsimg

Self-sharpening SDS chisel?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  WoodsConstruction 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

This was discussed and answered in this older thread here….

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/self-sharpening-sds-bits/

Basically the metal is set up in a manner that it has a differential wear thus always leaving a chisel point edge as it gets worn down.

Damn I actually googled for this topic but didn’t find anything. Wish I had a hardness tester so I can see how it’s differentially tempered.

I’m curious as to how they manufacture it that way. Be a good candidate for that How’s it Made show imo.

Doobie
    Pro

This sheds some light on self sharpening blades somewhat for those who may be interested in reading further.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6105261

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Heh, pretty sure the SDS bits aren’t nearly that complicated, would be cost prohibitive.

If they are indeed differentially hardened, I’m venture to guess it’s with differential tempering. During manufacturing the whole bit is throughly hardened first, then instead of throwing it into oven to temper the hardness down uniformly, some sort of localized heat (i.e. a torch) is applied to the soft side, so that side becomes a lower hardness than the unheated side (which is tempered to a less degree by the heat conducted from the heated side).

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This sheds some light on self sharpening blades somewhat for those who may be interested in reading further.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6105261

Good info there and explains how it works. Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

The self sharpening relates to the bit or spade in this case keeping its shape and not getting “rounded” over time. Also, most blades that come from Switzerland have carbide. They all come from one factory there. Not too much added to the discussion here, but a little extra insight. Have a great weekend.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Also, most blades that come from Switzerland have carbide. They all come from one factory there.

That’s what I suspected, all jig/reciprocating saw blade are probably made by the same factory, so are the SDS bits (Bostitch bits says they are swiss made too).

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The self sharpening relates to the bit or spade in this case keeping its shape and not getting “rounded” over time.

Jim Thank you for the insight. To me this would be a feature I would look for in an SDS bit or spade.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

lulu
    Pro

Yeah please let us know how it works.

I think we’ve already covered exactly how it works.

when I said how it works I meant post a video or something. I know how it works.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I know how it works.

What is your back ground that you understand how this stuff works?? What is it you do??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I was looking at these today. Interesting to read more on them. Thanks guys learn something new every day

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’ll take a shot tomorrow with two Bosch HS1472 Anti-Jamming Twist SDS-Plus bits. One will be brand new and the other will be a used bit.

I really like these bits, I have no issues whatsoever with the quality and performance.

Also a video using the Bosch Viper Chisel.

A Working Pro since 2004

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’ll take a shot tomorrow with two Bosch HS1472 Anti-Jamming Twist SDS-Plus bits. One will be brand new and the other will be a used bit.

I really like these bits, I have no issues whatsoever with the quality and performance.

Also a video using the Bosch Viper Chisel.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>
    <iframe class=”instagram-media instagram-media-rendered” id=”instagram-embed-0″ src=”https://www.instagram.com/p/BQuCI5AD9H0/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=7″ allowtransparency=”true” frameborder=”0″ height=”1086″ data-instgrm-payload-id=”instagram-media-payload-0″ scrolling=”no” style=”border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); margin: 1px 1px 12px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% – 2px); border-top-left-radius: 4px; border-top-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; box-shadow: none; display: block; padding: 0px; background: rgb(255, 255, 255);”></iframe>
    <script async=”” defer=”” src=”//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js”></script>
    </figure>

Nice video. The bit sure works great with the RHH181.

I’ll have to give the better chisel a shot. Mine always round out on me pretty quickly.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.425 seconds