dcsimg

Self-sharpening SDS chisel?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

So I just bought a bulldog xreme chisel bit, and it claims to be self sharpening. I’m sitting here looking at it and don’t really see how it does that. The center on one side is scalloped out so the flat section is the same thickness. I suppose as it wears down it won’t get thicker, but there won’t be a sharp edge either. Is this what they mean by self-sharpening? I’d probably still throw it on the grinder to restore the actual sharp edge.

Also interesting that it’s made in Italy, I thought it would be Switzerland like the drill bits are.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Hmm self sharpening nice idea. Let us know how it works out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Some of the ones that I have say this as well. They do kinda stay sharp. But I do find that I end up sharpening them a little.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think it really a depends on the material you are chiseling. Softer materials probably wouldn’t sharpen the chisel very well, but stone helps. Either way, the edge won’t look new. I run mine over the bench grinder on occasion…not sure now much different it makes though.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I think it really a depends on the material you are chiseling. Softer materials probably wouldn’t sharpen the chisel very well, but stone helps. Either way, the edge won’t look new. I run mine over the bench grinder on occasion…not sure now much different it makes though.

I see, so it’s like I suspected, just due to wear you’ll have a somewhat rounded edge all the time, just not a sharp edge like when it was new.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think we talked about these previously. I think a lot of the “self Sharpening” depends on the angle you are holding it and what you are chiseling.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Sharpness doesn’t seem to be a factor when I’m busting up concrete.. The general shape helps, but it won’t be sharp for long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Steve

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sharpness doesn’t seem to be a factor when I’m busting up concrete.. The general shape helps, but it won’t be sharp for long

Valid point

I think we talked about these previously. I think a lot of the “self Sharpening” depends on the angle you are holding it and what you are chiseling.

Perhaps a better point!

Running the bit at a 90* angle is going to eventually flatten the chisel while allowing the bit to wander a little should keep that from happening.

Jon P.
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I do not believe that chisel is not meant for breaking concrete, it is better suited For scraping. we have used it for removing ceramic tile or thinset and it works well for that. held at a constand angle, the abrasion from a floor would keep somewhat of an edge on the bit.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I do not believe that chisel is not meant for breaking concrete, it is better suited For scraping. we have used it for removing ceramic tile or thinset and it works well for that. held at a constand angle, the abrasion from a floor would keep somewhat of an edge on the bit.

That makes sense. Still nice it would keep an edge though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Possibly, although there is a specific tile chisel available too. My previous drill has no chipping function and I bought this in anticipation to upgrade so I have no experience using them yet.

lulu
    Pro

Yeah please let us know how it works.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yeah please let us know how it works.

I think we’ve already covered exactly how it works.

Jon P.
    Instagram

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I have never seen this chisel used to break concrete or masonry, your right. Who knows it could have “some” function still in masonry/concrete though.

Very interesting claim, would love for the thread to figure out exactly what it means. Attached is a link for the bit styles I would use in concrete and the claim is they are self-sharpening also. R-Tec unveiled by Bosch at the WOC 2011.

http://www.coptool.com/bosch-reinvents-concrete-chisels-with-r-tec-world-of-concrete/

A Working Pro since 2004

Attachments:
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I can sort of see it on the point chisel. If you use it in rotation mode as it punches holes, the outer splines would spin faster and wear down faster, so it maintains somewhat of a point. Don’t yet see how the flat chisel works yet if you drive it straight into a surface.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@jzmtl I hear you! Would be great to try them out but with Winter heading soon and the amount of concrete needed to test, it may be awhile seeing how it works.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie

This was discussed and answered in this older thread here….

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/self-sharpening-sds-bits/

Basically the metal is set up in a manner that it has a differential wear thus always leaving a chisel point edge as it gets worn down.

What I still need to know is how they get the caramel in those damn Caramilk bars! Must learn this secret before I die.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@Doobie thanks, that answers a few questions. Now, I just want to try one out.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie

@Doobie thanks, that answers a few questions. Now, I just want to try one out.

Same here actually. Won’t be for a while though.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

This was discussed and answered in this older thread here….

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/self-sharpening-sds-bits/

Basically the metal is set up in a manner that it has a differential wear thus always leaving a chisel point edge as it gets worn down.

What I still need to know is how they get the caramel in those damn Caramilk bars! Must learn this secret before I die.

Damn I actually googled for this topic but didn’t find anything. Wish I had a hardness tester so I can see how it’s differentially tempered.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.421 seconds