dcsimg

Self Sharpening SDS Bits

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

In another thread we were discussing the self sharpening SDS-Plus bits. None of us really were able to find any information on how they work. Assuming it’s not proprietary information, can @boschtoolsservice tell us a bit about how they work?

Here’s an example of one I have:
    https://www.boschtools.com/Products/Accessories/Pages/BoschAccessoryDetail.aspx?pid=HS1427

Does the blade actually get sharper as you use it?

Will it take some time to get sharp, or will it just maintain the level of sharpness as you use it from new?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Interesting idea, but kind of negates purchasing new ones. Waiting for more info but my curiosity is piqued.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well it does say self sharpening but that doesn’t mean the more you use it the sharper it gets……..Does it?? Is yours sharp now?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

What do you think about the theory that the tip is super hardened and the rest is softer steel so that it always sharpens the angle when the softer steel it worn down and the hard tip remains?

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Pretty interesting. I’d be curious to hear how that works as well.

Resident Sign Guy

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

That is pretty neat, I wonder as well if it is what they say it is.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I like Jason’s theory. They have remained very sharp for me, more than anything I am just curious to hear more about exactly how they work.

In another thread we were discussing the self sharpening SDS-Plus bits. None of us really were able to find any information on how they work. Assuming it’s not proprietary information, can @boschtoolsservice tell us a bit about how they work?

Its all in the edge. The design of the edge along with breaking the concrete will sharpened that edge as you use the bit. This will eliminate downtime and increase removal rate.

Will it take some time to get sharp, or will it just maintain the level of sharpness as you use it from new?

The bit is sharp and ready for chiselling right from the moment you purchase it. The self sharpening aspect will help maintain that level of sharpness over time.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is interesting, I have never seen a self sharpening bit before. What do you chisel with that?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey cool, the CS guy jumped in again. This is such a nice feature as now we don’t have to guess about stuff. Thanks CS

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Its all in the edge. The design of the edge along with breaking the concrete will sharpened that edge as you use the bit. This will eliminate downtime and increase removal rate.

The bit is sharp and ready for chiselling right from the moment you purchase it. The self sharpening aspect will help maintain that level of sharpness over time.

Thanks for the reply! Makes sense, I guess the density of the concrete combined with the angle of the blade makes the concrete act like a sharpening stone.

That is interesting, I have never seen a self sharpening bit before. What do you chisel with that?

I use it for prying a lot and demo – not much concrete, but the chisels are rated for use on concrete.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Thanks Bosch CS. I guess all of our theories are out the window and the truth comes out. I guess the angle of the tip is the secret. Will I ever truly understand it, probably not, but thats what engineers are for.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thanks Bosch, Are all Bosch concrete bits self sharpening or just some.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

The hard and soft parts of the edge wearing at different rates to keep it sharp is the same way beavers, rats, squirrels, and most other rodents keep their teeth sharp. The front is hard and the back is soft as as the tooth wears it keeps the right angle to be sharp.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

This was a useful thread. Thanks for the the beaver info Jerry. I will for surely be purchasing some of these bits

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

Doobie

This sheds some light on self sharpening blades somewhat for those who may be interested in reading further.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6105261

Edit: Oops! Kinda put this in the wrong thread.

Meant to put it in this newer one on the same subject….

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/self-sharpening-sds-chisel/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.420 seconds