dcsimg

Self-Destructing GTS1031

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 206 total)
  • Author

Whoa Nelly! I would have left a puddle. @Montreal_Medic, Do you think the board had internal stress that was relieved when you ripped it and it pushed on the riving knife after being cut by the blade?

Could be. Thankfully, I was already wearing my brown pants

Not sure I want a replacement though. Loved the saw, but that was scary as hell. Think Bosch would step up and let me move to a 4100? Got the saw in late July and just want a refund.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

So what did you do first, change pants or count fingers?
    I think I may take the knife off mine also.
    Glad you didn’t get hurt.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Sounds like a great reason to just throw away the riving knife and guard when you set up the saw.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

So this is the baby Bosch saw?

Glad you are ok.

Doobie

wow st make sure you wash those pants twice

A code brown moment??

That sounds like a scary series of events.. maybe I need to take off the rifing knife??

Do you have the 1031 as well? Otherwise, are you happy with it over maybe having gotten the heavier 4100 Dirty?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

A code brown moment??

That sounds like a scary series of events.. maybe I need to take off the rifing knife??

Do you have the 1031 as well? Otherwise, are you happy with it over maybe having gotten the heavier 4100 Dirty?

Don’t tell anyone, but the riving knife is the only safety feature I use on my table saw…absolutely necessary, IMO.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

A code brown moment??

Don’t tell anyone, but the riving knife is the only safety feature I use on my table saw…absolutely necessary, IMO.

I agree. I don’t think Eric’s prob was the riving knife. The riving knife likely busted as a result of something else going wrong. As I said earlier, I think it had to do with the softish insert and/or a combination of too much stock being cut too thinly, but Eric hasn’t said exactly how thin a cut he was performing only that it was a thick rip.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

SHH, more than what I currently have on my table saw. Years ago I removed the shield and have misplaced it since. It’s somewhere in my garage. 😮

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

A code brown moment??

I agree. I don’t think Eric’s prob was the riving knife. The riving knife likely busted as a result of something else going wrong. As I said earlier, I think it had to do with the softish insert and/or a combination of too much stock being cut too thinly, but Eric hasn’t said exactly how thin a cut he was performing only that it was a thick rip.

I dont know what set off the chain reaction, but ai was ripping a 6 inch wide board of 8/4 (2-inch thick) birch into 2 inch strips. It happened at the end of the first 5 or so foot length rip, when my hands were near the blade (on push blocks)

The throat plate may have buckled. The riving knife may have tilted and caught. The arbor might have bent. Dunno

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sounds like a great reason to just throw away the riving knife and guard when you set up the saw.

I’ve tried to use the guard and it is worthless. You never see a you tube video with a person using a guard on a table saw.

Yes I like it because it’s compact and fitz in the van and travels well. Hooked to the stand it’s a very sturdy saw.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I dont know what set off the chain reaction, but ai was ripping a 6 inch wide board of 8/4 (2-inch thick) birch into 2 inch strips. It happened at the end of the first 5 or so foot length rip, when my hands were near the blade (on push blocks)

The throat plate may have buckled. The riving knife may have tilted and caught. The arbor might have bent. Dunno

I don’t see a 2″ strip making the plate bend especially since you were well into the piece.

— Glenn Botting

A code brown moment??

Maybe I pushed down just as the rear of the board was almost entirely on the plate?

Really no idea. Just wish I had bought the 4100

There is an amazon review that sounds similar. Wonder if he had the same issue: (pasted verbatim)
    “1.0 out of 5 starsWorked fine, unless it malfunctioned and caused a safety issue
    ByW. BisonVINE VOICEon July 24, 2012
    Color: NAVine Customer Review of Free Product( What’s this? )
    When I first received this product I was very excited about it. This was the first portable table saw I’ve owned, but certainly not the first I’ve used. I found it to be well constructed – it seemed like it could take some abuse — and well laid out. The various attachments also had their places to be stored when not in use, which I found to be great. Making adjustments was easy, and the rip fence seemed to be accurate and with a good range (can extend out for an 18 inch cut). I also received the aluminum stand for it, which seemed fine if you don’t already have a bench for it, and was easy to snap into, but otherwise not something I would say was a necessary addition for this product.

The saw ripped well, and kept accurate lines. No complaints on that front, at least at the beginning.

HOWEVER, I did encounter on very serious issue with the saw which has stopped me from using this any further, as I’ve lost all confidence in the product. After about 2 hours (+/-) of normal use/wear on the machine, on one normal, basic cut the saw unexpectedly jammed on one of its parts, causing the whole apparatus to kick back, which slid its metal insert into the saw blade. This, understandably, jammed the blade, broke off teeth, and destroyed the metal insert. The blade itself also bent out of alignment, and a bolt snapped/broke off completely. I was fortunately unharmed (and appreciated why I always wear my goggles, even on otherwise trivial cuts). I’ve never had this sort of thing happen, and was baffled by what happened. I have lost all confidence is this tool, and will not use it again. I reached out to Bosch customer service on a couple of occasions to discuss this, but was routed internally to people’s voicemails who didn’t call back (until a couple weeks later in one case, whose call I missed and then couldn’t reach again), so I gave up trying.

Until the malfunction, I had been prepared to give this saw a 4-5 star rating. Now, unfortunately, I can only give it a 1 star rating, as I believe the unit I received was defective (and as a result, unsafe).”

Doobie

Hope you have better luck with Bosch than that fellow did Eric.

I wonder if there is an aftermarket plate for that saw? Or if it amenable to making one yourself.

Hope you have better luck with Bosch than that fellow did Eric.

I wonder if there is an aftermarket plate for that saw? Or if it amenable to making one yourself.

The saw itself is scrap now

Im sure Bosch will make it right though. Their customer service has always been amazing to me, so Im not worried

Hope they cover so something for the destroyed blade though. Its expensive and was new. That added to the suckage

On the bright side, no injuried and that blade stayed where it belonged, albeit scrapped

Doobie

Hope they cover the destroyed blade though. Its expensive and was new. That added to the suckage

Probably only with one of their own though. I don’t have a Tenryu, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about them and will not hesitate to buy one should I feel I should. How much was the Tenryu?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It would be interesting it there are more instances ofnthis. Possibly a flaw in the casting of the bracket that holds the riving knife. No experience with them, I would guess there was a little bind on the knife and it stressed the knife bracket that broke, then things went flying.

Hope they cover the destroyed blade though. Its expensive and was new. That added to the suckage

Probably only with one of their own though. I don’t have a Tenryu, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about them and will not hesitate to buy one should I feel I should. How much was the Tenryu?

Tax in, just shy of 140 canadian. Worth every penny. Quieter, and cut beautifully in 8/4 (well, for a while)

My biggest hope is they let me replace the gts1031 with a 4100. The difference in price is about the cost of the blade, so its not entirely out of line to hope.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have read on Amazon that the OEM Zero Clearance insert is way to flimsy and anyone would be better off making their own.

— Glenn Botting

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I guess I better do some rework on my saw. I know I would be cleaning my pants if my saw does this. Be anxious to see what Bosch says about it. Maybe they need a recall and replace the plates on these saws?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

hmm interesting, and you will probably get a new saw. I doubt even if they fixed it, you will mentally feel safe using it again.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.539 seconds