dcsimg

Self-Destructing GTS1031

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Congrats on the outcome Eric and getting an upgrade model. I’m impressed frankly. Didn’t think you’d get such a good outcome.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

That is awesome that Bosch got you the new saw so quickly Eric. Enjoy the saw.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

You’ll have to put the screws into the ply. The stock plate has set screws in it. For me the underlayment approach I’ve gotten a few plates that don’t need shimming or set screws so I’m fairly happy with it.

The reason I use 5mm underlayment is that its void free and laminating them produces a really strong 6 layer (+4 layers of veneer) ZCI. Actually I find that the ZCIs have less flex than the open throat plate and the plastic Bosch ZCI which is a kinda thin sheet of plastic with ribbing. For 11 bucks I get a lot of ZCI plates and I don’t have to deal with voids. That’s easier than buying a sheet of 9mm thick baltic birch just to make ZCIs and I’d have to order that locally.

I think it’s easier to start with a thicker material, then use router to gradually deepen the area for support tabs while checking for fit. That’s how I made mine using leftover laminate flooring, super slippery!

woodman_412

Great to see that you got the new saw so quick Eric. The 4100 looks like a really nice saw. I’ll be interested to see what your thoughts are on it. Well done on Bosch’s part for getting you taken care of properly.

Dan

danpattison.com

@jzmtl
    Isn’t laminate kinda abrasive to carbide like MDF? It’s a good use of leftover material but I had underlayment on hand.

I did some measurements last night on my underlayment ZCIs for the thickness, they’re approximately:

Groove to cut on the side to clear the housing:
    5.0-5.2mm

Total thickness of the plate:
    10-10.3mm

So with glue adding a little to the thickness I guess that’s what the stock plate thickness is approximately since I didn’t need leveling screws

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

@jzmtl
    Isn’t laminate kinda abrasive to carbide like MDF? It’s a good use of leftover material but I had underlayment on hand.

I did some measurements last night on my underlayment ZCIs for the thickness, they’re approximately:

Groove to cut on the side to clear the housing:
    5.0-5.2mm

Total thickness of the plate:
    10-10.3mm

So with glue adding a little to the thickness I guess that’s what the stock plate thickness is approximately since I didn’t need leveling screws

Yes they are, I had some leftover on hand and I like the slick surface more than plywood, so I went with it. Certainly wouldn’t pay for it to make ZCI though.

Doobie

Does nobody make any ready made third party insert plates for the 4100?

There’s 30 dollar ZCIs avaliable from a third party. I don’t think they’re that worthwhile when you can readily make your own that works just as well after some sanding and/or finishing.

Doobie

There’s 30 dollar ZCIs avaliable from a third party. I don’t think they’re that worthwhile when you can readily make your own that works just as well after some sanding and/or finishing.

Found one such here….

http://www.sliversmill.com/product_704_BH1_Leecraft_ZeroClearance_Table_Saw_Insert_139_16L_x_33_4W.html

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Well I’m cheap, I see no reason so spend $30~40 on something I can make out of scrape in 10 minutes. 😀

That’s exactly why I find those aftermarket ZCIs a little ridiculous. If they were the insert type where you could buy your own sheets of plywood/melamine and then cut two angles to make it dovetail into the ZCI plate so you can switch the tiny piece out, then it’d be worth $30 if not more. Even if those inserts sold for two-three bucks with the clearance already cut for the riving knife they’d make sense. But $30 for a single shot ZCI for a single blade? I’ll pass…

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Well I’m cheap, I see no reason so spend $30~40 on something I can make out of scrape in 10 minutes. 😀

I’m the same way, If you can make it your self and be happy with the outcome, fit and finish. I say go for it.
    Has any one made their own from metal? Since I am more of a metal tinkerer I would use aluminum plate to make and either zip cut for the blade or use a metal cutting blade.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

just make a zero clearance insert

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m the same way, If you can make it your self and be happy with the outcome, fit and finish. I say go for it.
    Has any one made their own from metal? Since I am more of a metal tinkerer I would use aluminum plate to make and either zip cut for the blade or use a metal cutting blade.

I don’t think I would be happy with a metal ZCI. They are constantly being nicked by the blade during normal tasks and wear out eventually.
    Frankly, I have never considered buying a ZCI. I’m lucky that my saw takes 1/2″ material, I guess. I have maybe 6 or 7 MDF inserts for a variety of dado stacks as well as standard kerf blades set to 90º and 45º. There is also a few blanks in the drawer waiting for another setup.
    At $30 – 40 a pop, that would be a ton of money.

Has anyone used UHMW?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Has anyone used UHMW?

I have a couple of small slabs but for an insert never thought of it.

I was going to make a couple of spacers for my carburetor. It would separate the heat of the engine from the base of the carb.

I should check to see if I can use leftovers for an insert.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

UHMW is somewhat flexible though so smaller pieces that completely rest on it might cause some deflection and possibly kickback.

Wouldn’t try metal ZCI either, any blade deflection would send the teeth into it and could be dangerous.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

UHMW is somewhat flexible though so smaller pieces that completely rest on it might cause some deflection and possibly kickback.

Wouldn’t try metal ZCI either, any blade deflection would send the teeth into it and could be dangerous.

I hadn’t thought of flexibility. Is it any more flexible than MDF? It would depend as well, on where the support tabs are on each saw.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I think it’s a little bit more on thinner pieces, not sure about thicker ones.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

just make a zero clearance insert

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/d6Du_4tLvJk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Well that’s one way to do it…

Personally, I use a flush trim bit and use double stick tape between a piece of hardwood and the original insert. Once the shape is made, run the new plate through the planer to establish the proper thickness. The rest is basically the same as the young man in the video explained.

My issue with his approach is that the scroll saw will not leave a perfectly fitting cut. Also, it certainly appeared like the plate was proud of the table top…not a good thing!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

I did not see the results of the destructed saw. One question I have, was an out
    feed table used? Four foot overhang is a lot for those baby saws.

We had a saying in Germany, Working with gloves on is like working with your hands up your Ass.

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.458 seconds