dcsimg

Self-Destructing GTS1031

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 206 total)
  • Author

I just had an incident with my GTS1031 Table saw. No injuries thankfully

Was ripping 8/4 Birch and the whole thing self destructed. Riving knife snapped off with a bang, went into the blade (so much for the Tenryu – its destroyed) and folded the throat plate in half

No idea what happened. Waiting to hear from Bosch

Scary as hell – bit shook up

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Was ripping 8/4 Birch and the whole thing self destructed. Riving knife snapped off with a bang, went into the blade (so much for the Tenryu – its destroyed) and folded the throat plate in half

WOW, that would be terrifying. Glad you are OK Eric.

Was it a long piece you were cutting?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

WOW, that would be terrifying. Glad you are OK Eric.

Was it a long piece you were cutting?

About a 5′ length. Taking 2″ off of 6″

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

That’s scary. Were you wearing safety glasses? Did the board bind at all?

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Wow, that would shake you up fr sure. Glad there were no injuries; human ones, that is.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

That’s scary. Were you wearing safety glasses? Did the board bind at all?

Delta

Goggles, muffs and push blocks

And if it did, i couldnt tell

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Goggles, muffs and push blocks

Good boy!

Take note, everyone. This is why we wear our safety gear!! Never know when something is gonna go sideways.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Holy crap… Looks like the arm holding the riving knife just completely sheared off.

Glad you are okay though.

Doobie

Sorry to hear you had a scare. How thin were you ripping? Was a thin section between the fence and the blade? Sounds like a binding accident.

Dirty was just mentioning hours ago elsewhere how he thought the throat plate on the 1031 in his opinion was soft. That may have been part of the problem. Too much downward force cutting something so thick being exerted on plate on a piece that did not have enough support on the platten itself. Plate buckled and everything else was a chain reaction all happening in milliseconds.

yellaD
    Pro

Glad you’re OK, E! That must have been SCARY, now let’s see what Bosch does…
    If nothing else, at least they have an account of what could go wrong with the GTS1031 for future generations of the saw. Again, glad you are not hurt at all. INSANE.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

wow st make sure you wash those pants twice

That amount of damage is insane, this is the first time I’ve heard of a table saw doing this.

Glad you’re alright man. That’s some scary stuff there.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Wow ! I’ve never seen anything like that before. Glad you’re OK

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’ve been looking at the photos and trying to figure out what happened. It seems the only way for the riving knife support to snapped like that is if the blade tooth suddenly caught on the part that broke off and jammed, dumping its entire inertia into the arm, and snapped it.

For this to happen the blade must shift left. The downward nick on front left side of the throat plate support this scenario. The riving knife was wedged to the right of blade from the look of scratch mark on it, which would happen if blade shifted to the left and caught it, throwing it forward and right.

But what caused the blade to shift left that much though, I don’t know right now.

I’ve been looking at the photos and trying to figure out what happened. It seems the only way for the riving knife support to snapped like that is if the blade tooth suddenly caught on the part that broke off and jammed, dumping its entire inertia into the arm, and snapped it.

For this to happen the blade must shift left. The downward nick on front left side of the throat plate support this scenario. The riving knife was wedged to the right of blade from the look of scratch mark on it, which would happen if blade shifted to the left and caught it, throwing it forward and right.

But what caused the blade to shift left that much though, I don’t know right now.

That makes as much sense as anything. Still, ripping a 2 inch wide strip off 2 inch (8/4) birch should not have caused that

woodman_412

Wow that is scary Eric! Glad that you’re ok. It will be interesting to see what Bosch has to say. Seems like a really freakish thing to have happen.

Dan

danpattison.com

Whoa Nelly! I would have left a puddle. @Montreal_Medic, Do you think the board had internal stress that was relieved when you ripped it and it pushed on the riving knife after being cut by the blade?

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Sounds like a scary experience! Glad your ok and hope you figure out what happened.

A Working Pro since 2004

monman1
    Pro

Glad you’re alright! I have never seen a table saw self destruct like that.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

wow st make sure you wash those pants twice

A code brown moment??

That sounds like a scary series of events.. maybe I need to take off the rifing knife??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.731 seconds